starting strength gym
Page 98 of 132 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: Manveer Gets Competitive

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've even heard of her and her gym before, so that seems pretty 'legit' insofar as that word can be applied to this kinda thing.

She managed to get a drugs ban from Crossfit, which is quite an lolworthy achievement:
    https://barbend.com/crossfit-bans-la...ide-conjugate/

Drugs or tons of drugs, and multiply or whatever, Laura Phelps-Sweatt has benched over 500 lbs in a competition. Pretty gnarly, I don't care how people feel about geared lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Drugs or tons of drugs, and multiply or whatever, Laura Phelps-Sweatt has benched over 500 lbs in a competition. Pretty gnarly, I don't care how people feel about geared lifting.
    Indeed, she is very strong, dedicated and genetically gifted. I have very little respect for Westside, though.

There is a huge difference between single-ply and multi-ply. I'm not against all geared lifting. I know it's not as easy as putting a suit on and adding x lbs to your squat. I'm against federations that call squats that are clearly a mile high (according to their own rules) world records. That's a joke. AFAIK there are no multi-ply feds that require squats to actually be below parallel.

The issue of drugs is a whole other can of worms...

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    There's a video around from a few years that shows her benching 325, raw dawg style at around 165 if I recall. She's strong in and out of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    The lady who runs the gym is probably considered a "Westside" lifter, and it's only about 100 miles away from Simmons' gym:
    These numbers told the whole story without even having to watch the video:

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Jen Thompson has an awesome bench, that is infinitely more impressive than 12lb of steroids and needing at least 4,000lb on the bar before you can pull it to your chest.
    Well, yes, Jennifer Thompson is #goals for everyone.

This got real sniffy real fast, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I just wanted to make fun of the crossfitter challenging manveer to a 225 AMRAP...
    I'd actually be really interested in seeing this.

How about AMRAP of Squat, Bench & Deadlift - all at 225lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    This got real sniffy real fast, didn't it?
    Yeah, I guess I kicked it off in a "joined a new gym last night..." kind of way. I was just entertained by the notion that he wanted to send a raw lifter to a Westside gym. Sure, I could learn some things, but really not the best place for someone aspiring to compete raw in USAPL/USPA drug-free.

I just wanted to make fun of the crossfitter challenging manveer to a 225 AMRAP...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    I'd actually be really interested in seeing this.

How about AMRAP of Squat, Bench & Deadlift - all at 225lbs.
    Haha. I am the worst at high reps. I think I've benched 280x10 or something. Anyway, it wasn't a good idea when I'm trying to pull a PR this weekend.

To get back on topic...these are my attempts for Saturday's mock meet (the Manveer Invitational):

Plan A:
    Squat: 515 / 545 / 565
    Deadlift: 540 / 580 / 600

Plan B:
    Squat: 515 / 530 / 545
    Deadlift: 540 / 555 / 575

starting strength coach development program
    Plan A! Plan A! Plan A!
    That is the ideal scenario. The RTS meet card has a "plan B" in case your openers feel like shit. Not sure if I should use the OpenBarbell or not. Probably gonna use it even if it makes things less similar to a real meet.