starting strength gym
Page 15 of 129 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sorry to hear about all the illness. Hope you get well and rested soon.

2/18

Pissed off at my earlier workout today. Had a hot bath and felt a little better. Went back to the garage and tried a few more squats...

Squat - 405-1,1,1, 415-1,1, - It really didn't get easier, but I tried to get a little more volume in. Bumped up to 415; the 2nd single was pretty hard (rpe -10).

Squat OL - 560-1,1,1, - Did 3 walkouts with this weight. Last set did a couple 1/4 squats with it.

Hopefully my next workout on Tuesday goes a bit better... At least its a light day...

2/21

Finished my antibiotics yesterday. My strength is returning and I feel better today although I had a couple more BM's than I normally do...

Warmup - 500M row in 2:01

Press - 185-1, 205-1, 225-1, 240-1, 245-1, 195-5,5,5, - The heaviest presses were 2.0. On the 245 I tried not to bend my knees and thought I held them pretty stiff, but there looks to be a slight knee bend. I'll try next time wearing shorts as I think my sweats are making me look bad

I've done 245 once before as well but think it went easier this time.

Deadlift - 420-5,5,5,5,5, - I super-setted my presses with the deadlifts to make the workout go faster with no ill effects. My sissy palms were getting a little sore from the knurling.

Incline standing press - 175-5,6,6 - 70 degree angle. Took a video of these but can't get it to properly work on my iphone. These are supposedly what a lot of the old time overhead press guys used to build their OH press for the Olympics.

GHR's - 8,10,10 - Did these with the red rogue band. For some reason I can really feel these in my calves.

Chins - 5,5,5 - Used body weight at rpe 5 as I have neglected these.

Got the video to load. Currently for standing incline presses I am just using a board in my rack. I'll spend some time over the next week or three and make a more elegant design...

Standing incline press - 175-5,6,6, - second set below

2/23

Bench - 295-2,2,2,2,3, - Did 2 second pauses for each rep. The intensity part of my program is starting now. Weights are going to start getting heavier for the next month.

Bench OL - 405-1,1,1, - Didn't feel as heavy as it normally does which is encouraging

Light Squat - 375-2,2,2,2,2, - These felt much better than my previous workout. Played with foot position a bit. I seem most comfortable with my feet just slightly splayed out, maybe 5-10 degrees. No where near the SS recommendation of 30 degrees. If I go to a wider angle my hips bother me and I don't seem to have as much strength. Went for bar speed on the concentric.

Tricep pushdowns - 115-15,15, - Nice tricep pump from these

Dumbbell Rows - 95-10,10 - Went for speed on the concentric. Seemed light, will have to get a 105 dumbbell...

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    .... These are supposedly what a lot of the old time overhead press guys used to build their OH press for the Olympics....
    Interesting. Do you have any links to articles describing this? Also, what kind of a set-up do you use for the inclined board?

Double post.

Solid work recently. You're only a mere 30lbs away from the 275 press!
    Last edited by Chebass88; 02-24-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Interesting. Do you have any links to articles describing this? Also, what kind of a set-up do you use for the inclined board?
    Hey Chebass,

I got this idea from the most boring guy on YouTube, Peter Hess. I came across him by doing some you tube searches for the Hepburne program which he also does. In the video below on pressing he describes it a bit starting around 6 minutes in.

As far as set up, I just grab the bar off the hooks and lean back against the board. My feet are at the bottom of the board so my body is completely parallel. I just bought some 1 1/4" square tubing and I'm going to build my incline the same as the one in the video. I'll stop at a fabric shop and get some padding and cover material although the board alone actually works quite well (with a bit of flex mind you with heavier weights).

Awesome - thanks for the info. I'll watch it tonight.

I'm a big fan of Doug Hepburn. I've found a few references on his programs. His "A" and "B" programs are both described in his biography (Strongman by Tom Thurston). There are quite a few of his articles on the Tight Tan Slacks blog as well - programming is generally more for a specific lift, but it jives well with his other programming recommendations elsewhere. There are also a few good descriptions on the T-nation forums, where a third program described. His recommendations also changed with time, especially regarding the use of both the power and pump sets.

I've recently added the pump sets in for the press. I've been able to make excellent progress by doing just the power sets (8x2 -> 8x3 at ~80%). I'm very interested in doing the "B Program" (5-8 singles followed by 'pump' sets) - this is described very favorably in his book, and it seems like it will work quite well. My use of the A program is working so far, so I need to take it further.

starting strength coach development program
    I can see how the Hepburn program would work well for a long period of time. Most people are looking for quicker methods of gaining strength, but over a longer period of time the Hepburn program will likely allow greater and more consistent gains, with less chance of injury (the 5 pounds per month method you mentioned in your log). It does seem like there are several different ways to program the lifts though. I'd be interested in the programming for the power and pump routine, but haven't seen any definitive way of doing that..