starting strength gym
Page 17 of 128 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    You did all the deadlifts, most people would find a reason not to, earning a pr.
    Today was a light day Yes I know exactly what you mean... My hands are getting raw from all this deadlift volume...

3/5

Warm-up - 500M row in 2:11

Squat - 385-2,2,2,2,2, - Today was a light squat day. I'm still a little sore in my knees from stupidly quarter squatting my squat OL weight a few weeks ago. After warming up the knees felt a little better. I went overly deep on these, and need to come up with a method to prevent this. Probably best to build a box that limits depth to competition levels.

Comp Bench Press - 305-2,2, 325-1, 335-1, 225-10, - Rx called for 300 for 3 sets of 2 reps. Loaded 305 cause who likes little weights? 305 felt easy so for the third set I jumped to 325. Tried for 2 with 325 but couldn't get the second despite a few seconds grinding. Got pissed off and added 10 pounds for a 335 single which was almost a grinder. Backed of with an easy 225-10 reps where I stopped with a few left in the tank.

Bench OL - 405-1,1,1, - Did 3 - 10 second holds. I actually did these prior to repping out 225 mentioned above. Shoulders are feeling good with no issues.

DB Rows - 105-10,10, - Did these as fast as I could pull, lowered slowly to stretch the shoulders. Will try my 123lb kettle bell next time.

3/7

Warm-up - 350M row

Press - 185-1, 225-1, 255-f, 210-3, 215-3,3,3, - Warmed up and then attempted a 255 single and failed. Still a bit fatigued from my bench workout 2 days ago. Finished off with 210-3, and 215-3,3,3 strict.

Deadlifts - 480-3,3,3, - A little bit apprehensive before doing these. First set was surprisingly easy. Second set felt like someone added 50 pounds, 3rd set I rested a bit more and they went easier than the second set.

Incline Press - 185-6,6,6, - Alternated these with my deadlift. Absolutely strict, added 5 pounds from last time, still went fairly easy...

Chins + 25 - 4,5,5, - Haven't done these for a while and left a few reps in the tank. My hands were a bit sore from the deadlifts too and the knurling is really sharp on my chin up bar.

GHR with red Rogue band - 7,6, - Alternated these with chins. My back felt a little fatigued so I didn't do a 3rd set.

All in all a good workout!

3/10

Warm-up - 500M row in 2:04

Squats - 385-1, 430-1,1,1, 365-1, 315-1, 225-10, - My squats are a mess, with one month out before a meet. Two months ago I could do 455x2, now I can hardly squeak out a single at a lower weight. My illness didn't help, and I think now I need more volume, so I'll do some squat work on deadlift day. Rx called for 430-3x3, I tried for a second rep the first set and failed, then condemned myself to singles. I thought I could drop weight and rep out 10 or so for a pump, but had to drop down to 225 before I felt good about that.

Bench - 275-1, 315-1, 345-1PR, 275-2,2,2,2,2, - Rx called for 270-2,2,2,2,2, but feeling bad about my squats I thought I try a new T&G PR. I did probably the worlds ugliest bench press. Halfway up I started to grind and then my right hamstring cramped up into an excruciatingly painful ball. I finished the lift and I have it on video, but it was so ugly I won't post it. My hamstring is still sore. I followed up the PR with 275-2,2,2,2,2, which was easy peasy after the heavy singles.

1 arm row with kettle bell - 123lb-5,6,7, - Super-setted these with the 275 bench above.

Tricep push downs - 135-20,18, - Got a good pump from these.

In the accumulation phase of this I Added squat assistance on the light deadlift day. Even if it was just a squat warmup or pushing the prowler, sling some step ups or lunges, a little extra volume the workout before the light squat day didn't harm my progressions.
    I also cut eccentric portion of assistance after 4 weeks for More recovery resources toward the primary lifts.

Thanks Bryan. I agree that a little more squat volume is required. Whatever you are doing squat wise is certainly working for you! It's interesting that we are doing the Dr. Squat program, but in my case my squats are not really increasing, but my deadlift and bench are.

Compared to the Candito intermediate program which I did prior to this, squat volume is down, but deadlift volume is up which I feel is really helping my deadlift. Bench is about the same, but I am putting a big emphasis on pressing (which I have added to the program) which I feel is driving my bench up as well. With a month out from my meet I'm going to add a few light squat days where I do higher reps (5-10) with lighter weights, along with the heavy doubles and triples that are in the program.

I think its a program that is meant to be tweaked once you have run it once( this is my second time through). If something is lagging you can identify the reason and adjust the programming to fit your individual needs. It really force you out of your comfort zone on deadlift volume, which has turned out to be a good thing for me as well.
    I will be adding another bench session per 10 days to the next cycle I schedule.

3/13

Managed to get a squat workout in with my oldest son who is also competing next month. Today's workout for me is not part of the program, but I felt I needed more squat volume to bring my squat up. Didn't want to get too heavy as I have deadlifts tomorrow, but ...

Squats - 315-5, 375-3,3, 385-3,3,2, 225-10, - All the squats went well except for the last heavy set. My son needs less recovery time than me between sets so I wasn't fully recovered. I was concentrating on form and went too low on the first rep, paused the second rep at the bottom, and ground it out getting it back up at rpe-11 Took a bit of a rest and did a pump set of 10 with 225 which actually felt good. Called it a day after that.

3/14

Did deadlifts and presses today. Did 2-3 sets of presses between each deadlift. Last couple deadlifts sets I needed 10 minutes recovery.

Press - 185-1, 225-1, Did these strictly,
    Push Press - 245-1, 255-1,1,1, - I can hardly push press more than I can press 2.0. I put 275 on the bar, hefted it, and said no way, won't even try... 255 went well and I might have got a second if I tried. Lowered the weight on a 3 count.
    More press - 205-3,4,4, - Going for 5's but the push presses took a bit of a toll.
    Standing Incline press - 190-5,4,6, - No way to do these but strict.

Deadlifts - 435-5,5,5,5,5, - First 2 sets seemed difficult. Probably a bit tired from squats yesterday. Last 3 sets were the best. Did the Arnold strongman type deadlift for the last couple sets meaning I lowered my ass down a bit, took a run at it, and squatted the weight up which seemed to make it lighter. Should have got a video...

Going forward the program calls for no assistance exercises. Each workout will utilize all 3 competitive lifts. Weights will get heavier so recovery will be important.

starting strength coach development program
    3/17

Warm up 500M row in 2:14

Squat - 385-2,2,2,2,2, - Weight felt OK, bar speed was good the first 4 sets, slowed on the 5th.

Bench - 320-2,2,2, - These felt good. Did a comp pause on the 1st rep. Might have got a third out if I tried.

Deadlift - 512-F, 475-1, 485-1, Prescription called for 512 for 3 sets of 2. Could barely break the floor and tweaked my back a little. Dropped weight and did 475-1, 485-1 and called it a day as my lumbar area was sore. It appears I'm very sensitive to deadlift volume and frequency, especially when the weights get heavy. I deadlifted 3 days ago and just didn't have much in me today. I may have to re-assess my last few deadlift workouts before the meet.

I'm in the last month of training before my meet and my squats and deadlifts are not where they should be. I think I need less deadlift volume, and more squat volume. The only bright side is my bench which I may have gained 10-15 pounds on in the last 3 months.