starting strength gym
Page 5 of 128 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Had mixed success today.

Standing OH Press for 3's - 210 - 1,3,2,3,3 - Press is moving along nicely, but the weights are feeling heavy. Did press 2.0. Keep having to remind myself to explode out of the hole, otherwise the weight doesn't go up. Did a couple of extra sets to make sure I got 3 sets of 3 reps so I earn the right to add more weight next time.

Close grip bench press - 270 - 4,6,5 - Took a phone call from work after my last warm up set which caused me to cool down a bit. I also lost my concentration as when I lifted the bar off the rack my right wrist buckled and I dropped the bar on the right side. The cage safeties caught it so it didn't drop on my face! Close call and a reminder to always stay tight. After that I put my gangsta wraps on. Managed to do 5 less reps total than two weeks ago when I did this exercise last. My trip last week really screwed me training wise

Dips - Left shoulder is starting to act up so I didn't push things. My right shoulder which was my problem shoulder now feels fine. What the heck???...

10/4

Squats - 415 - 2,1,1 - my competition is another 10 days. I could have maybe pushed/ground another rep out on the last 2 sets but wasn't feeling particularly energetic today. I'm having difficulty with judging depth too. I going too low and wasting effort/energy by doing that.

Back exercises - Didn't bother as I feel I should be conserving energy.

I'm feeling more tired than I think I should be. I'll do the remaining core exercises this week (bench press and deadlift) and skip all the accessory work. Maybe next Monday I'll do a practice competition with my wife using half the weights I normally use and rest for the balance of the week prior to the contest.

10/6

Bench Press - 315 - 1,1,1 Did 2 second competition pause. Seemed easy today. Will likely be my starting weight next Saturday at the comp. Did no other exercises so as to get rest...

10/7

Deadlift - 475 - 1,1,1 - Chose 475 today as I thought this would be a good opening deadlift weight for my comp in 8 days.

Did no other accessory work today just the main lift.

Next Saturday weigh in is 07:00 with the comp starting at 09:00. I've got a two hour drive to get there so it will be an early morning. I'll do a mock meet on Monday using very light weights to get my wife (who is also competing) and I used to the referee calls. Other than that, I'll be resting until the meet.

Today was my competition date at the BCPA Fall Classic. Weigh in was 07:00 and since I had a two hour drive I was up at 04:00 to get ready. Didn't sleep too much last night as it was hard to try to fall asleep. Had a hard time doing nothing all week while resting, and worrying about not working out and my muscle turning to fat.

Weighed in at around 101.5kg which is around 223 pounds. Class - Masters 2 ages 50-59 in the 105kg class (230 pounds and under).

Squats:
    1st - 180kg - No problem, bar felt a little heavy
    2nd - 190kg - Bar felt even heavier.
    3rd - 196kg - 431lb - I was originally going to go for 200kg but the BC record was 195.5 so I decided to just try to break the record by 0.5kg. Weight went easy. I probably could have done 10-20 pounds more but I had a hard time determining just how hard it would be. I need to be more aggressive with my weights....

Bench:

1st - 135kg - Did it fairly easily but got 3 red lights for lifting my head off the bench
    2nd - 145kg - Was a little worried and didn't know if I would get it after red lighting my first attempt but it went up not too bad.
    3rd - 150kg - 330lbs - Went up surprising easy. Left a little in the tank for sure... Some kid got up and walked right in front of my camera so obscured a part of the lift...

150kg/330lb bench - YouTube

Deadlift: I normally deadlift heavy in my socks but had to wear shoes so I used my squatting shoes with a 3/4 inch or so heel.

1st - 210kg - Went up easy
    2nd - 225kg - 496lb - within 5 pounds of my PR
    3rd - 235kg = 517 - Went up good, felt I left 10-20 lbs in the tank, but still a 15 pound PR.

235 kg/517 lb deadlift. - YouTube

My flight was all masters lifters, and I came 1st and only in my weight class and also won the "Best Master's Lifter" award based on Wilks...
    Last edited by skid; 10-15-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Excellent work! Really impressive lifts and you definitely had more in the tank. Congrats.

A question as I prepare for the fall classic. I don't know if rolling the bar toward my shins is allowed in the SS Fall Classic but what advantage to your lift does rolling the bar as you get to the spot from which you lift give you?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    A question as I prepare for the fall classic. I don't know if rolling the bar toward my shins is allowed in the SS Fall Classic but what advantage to your lift does rolling the bar as you get to the spot from which you lift give you?
    It's probably a bad habit but I find it really sets me up for the lift as it pushes the bar right into my shins. Benedikt Magnussen does it too and he holds the world record for heaviest deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Excellent work! Really impressive lifts and you definitely had more in the tank. Congrats.
    Thanks Walter!

starting strength coach development program
    I hadn't done any OH pressing for almost 2 weeks and don't want to lose any progress there so I did a press workout today. Still feeling some fatigue and soreness from yesterday's meet...

OH Press - 200 - 3,5,2 - should have been all fives...

Next week - Gone all week across the country to a dam (not damn) conference... Hopefully the Marriott there has some type of gym... I'm pretty psych'ed about doing another meet in a few months and want to keep progressing. I have two more business trips this year and then hopefully nothing else for a few months in the New Year cause travelling really throws off my training...

Page 5 of 128 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast