starting strength gym
Page 53 of 129 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    More bad news today. I was squatting and loaded up to 165kg (around 365), and as I lowered down in my squat I could feel a sharp pain in my right hamstring. I tried to push the weight back up but the pain was too much. I tried squatting just the bar, but couldn't even do that without pain. I can walk ok so it is only a grade 1 tear, but I may be done for competition which is 2 weeks away. I'll see how it feels in a day or so. I'm icing it right now.

Warm up 500m row

Deadlift
    220kg-1@8
    205kg-3,3,3,@8-9

Paused squat
    165kg-0

Well the good news is I didn't break anything today! Hamstring still hurt alot when I tried to squat with BW, but feels a little better

500M row warm up - went very gentle today due to the sore hamstring. Still, felt good to do.

Comp Bench -
    132.5kg-4,4,4,4, @ rpe 8-9

Skipped the accessory work...

So you think you will be able to compete or have you pulled out on the competition? I'm sorry to hear about your hamstring. I really hate the injury whack-a-mole game.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    So you think you will be able to compete or have you pulled out on the competition? I'm sorry to hear about your hamstring. I really hate the injury whack-a-mole game.
    I'm not sure at this point. The hamstring is feeling better, and I can do a body weight squat with only a little pain. I have squats scheduled tomorrow and I will see how it goes. I'll make sure I really warm things up before I start loading the bar.

500M row warm up

Comp Bench
    150kg-1@9
    105kg-9,9,9,9,@ 7-8

Close grip paused bench
    115-6,6, @8

OH Press
    80kg=8,8, @8

Skid,
    I've had luck with some bengay on the pulled muscle before/during lifting. It seems to get the blood flowing and warm things up a bit albeit uncomfortable. Good luck squatting tomorrow...I hope it works out and you are fine.

Dean

Thanks Dean! Yes, I'll be using something similar to get the hamstrings warmed up. I really hate to pull out of the meet after training for so long and spending a year going through all the stepping stone meets to get to IPF Worlds. I'll squat only the bar if I have to

500M row warmup

Today my goal was to squat and see how my right hamstring is healing. I took a couple of Advils before I started, then applied a heat cream to both hamstrings. I did my usual 500M row warm up, being gentle as I pushed off with my legs. Then I rolled out my hamstrings with a roller.

Squats - Went super slow on all descents as I initially injured my hamstring on the descent.
    Bar - 3, felt ok but small amount of pain (didn't want to go past 3 reps on anything).
    45kg - 3, went ok, but slightly more pain.
    70kg - 3, same as above
    95kg - 1, pain increased, debated on going heavier
    120kg - 1, More pain, and didn't want to try anything heavier for fear of re-injuring my hamstring
    70kg - 1, thought I'd do some back off sets of 3, but it hurt enough that I called it a day.

I'm not sure whether to do some light squats every day or second day, or to rest it more??

500M row warm up - hamstring felt ok doing rows

Comp Bench
    145kg-2,2,2,2, @8-9

Hamstring Rehab:

RDL
    40 pound DB's - 5,5,5, tried to stretch everything out. Went slow with no stretch reflex at the bottom

Squat - Went extremely slow on descent and ascent
    Bar-3,3, - Didn't quite reach parallel.
    40kg-2,1,1, - As I neared parallel the hamstrings were stretching and causing some discomfort. Tried to vary my stance a bit, but only made things feel worse. Didn't go heavier as the discomfort was getting worse each rep.

Warm up 500M row

Deadlift - Went very careful
    Bar-5
    45kg-5
    70kg-3
    95kg-3
    120kg-2
    145kg-1
    170kg-1
    195-0 - Could really feel it in my hamstring off the floor so aborted
    170-1 - was going to do more back off sets but it felt risky to push things anymore

Squat
    Bar-5
    40kg-1 Hamstring felt quite sore so no more squats today

GHR
    BW-10,10, - although this is a hamstring exercise it feels much different on the hamstrings than a squat or deadlift. Hopefully I got some blood into the muscles to help the healing process.

starting strength coach development program
    Warm up 500M row

Comp Bench
    135kg-4,4,4,4,@8-9

Hamstring Rehab

RDL's
    50lb DB's - 10,10, - No issues with these, went well

Squat
    Bar - 5,5, Feeling some pain from yesterday so stopped there...