starting strength gym
Page 54 of 129 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Warm up - 500 meter row

Comp Bench - Meet is next Friday. Everything felt good.
    157.5kg/347lbs -1, Went fairly well, maybe another 5 kilo's in me.
    127.5kg/281lbs - 5,5,5,5, all at rpe 8-9

Paused close grip bench
    135kg/297lbs - 3,3, at rpe 8.5

OHP - strict
    80kg/176lbs - 3,5, 3 felt too easy while 5 had a couple left in the tank. Didn't want to push too hard and break something new

Today was a scheduled squat day. Would have been my last heavy day before my meet next Friday. The good news is that my hamstring is healing and is better than the last time I squatted. The not so good news is that 120kg was as heavy as I felt comfortable doing.

I could feel the hamstring pulling which was discomforting, and only slightly painful, but felt if I went much heavier I could re-tear the muscle. I could feel the hamstring pulling/pain at three quarters of the way down to parallel, which was where the tear occurred. No pain at parallel and only felt it again as I passed the same point on the way up.

Unlike last squat day I was able to do several back off sets at a lighter weight which will hopefully pump blood into the area and heal the injury site quicker.

Warm up
    -500M row
    -50's DB RDL's - 5,5,
    -GHR's - 10,10,7,

Squat
    Bar-5
    45kg-5,
    70kg-3
    95kg-2,
    120kg-1,
    40kg-5,
    50kg-5,
    60kg-5,
    70kg-5,
    80kg-3,

Warm up - 500M row

Comp Bench - As per Izzy, I warmed up and then did 3 sets of 1 at around 92% of 1RM
    150kg/330lbs -1,1,1,

Video of last set which moved well

Today I performed my normal squat warm up and started to incrementally load the bar. I got up to 120kg and my R hamstring said forget it; Had to bail out. I must have pushed things too hard Saturday as the hamstring felt better then.

So, I contacted the coach for Team Canada at the IPF Worlds and said I have to pull out of the meet on Friday since I can't squat or deadlift. He mentioned I could do a 75kg token squat and deadlift, and my bench could help the team total.

He said injuries happen, and token lifts are not frowned upon which was my concern (that and being embarrassed). I'm not doing anything else this week now since I benched heavy yesterday. Looks like I'll still get my T shirt

Shit happens when you are always trying to improve. It will be a good to meet with some other lifters at that level. It may be more fun for you since the pressure is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    Shit happens when you are always trying to improve. It will be a good to meet with some other lifters at that level. It may be more fun for you since the pressure is off.
    Yeah, it was my most relaxed meet ever considering it was IPF classic worlds. I won a silver medal for the bench pressing 160kg or 352.8lbs. Bit of a surprise for me...

The best news is that Team Canada had an awesome physician who looked at the leg issues I've had over the past year and a half. I've had severe quad tendonitis, a swollen left knee, sore R ankle, plantar fasciitis, and a torn R hamstring. He diagnosed a pinched sciatic nerve on my right side, and a pinched inguinal nerve on my left. These were causing my main muscles not to fire correctly and smaller muscles and tendons were overstressed trying to take up the load.

I've now got some exercises and manipulations to do over the next 2-3 weeks and he expects these chronic issues to resolve themselves. I wish I had run into him a lot earlier, or shouldn't have been so stubborn, and got professional help sooner...

Well, I'm done competing for a while. My training for now will be focused on rehab, weight loss, and more of a body building routine.

I'm giving my legs at least a 3 week rest from squatting and deadlifting to let my hamstring and other leg injuries time to heal, so I'll be full on bro for the near future My left outer deltoid and tricep tendon are a little sore as well so will do some rehab work on them as well

I weigh 224 and hope to get my weight down to the 200 pound range over the next few months. I'll lose some strength likely, but it will be a healthier and more aesthetic weight for me.

Warm up - 500M row - This doesn't bother my hamstring, and gives me a good warm up prior to lifting so I'll continue with it.

OH Press - Went easy on all my lifts today.
    70kg-5,5,5, - just went through the motions and concentrated on good strict form.

Paused Close grip Bench
    100kg-8,8,8, - again, went really easy

Incline bench
    70kg-8,8,8, - Some pain in my left outer deltoid and tricep. Went super light

Tricep press down
    90-10,10,10, - still feel minor pain in my elbow, will work through this.

DB delt raises
    15's-10,10,10, - hopefully this will help strengthen my L shoulder and repair any damage.

Sounds like a good plan!

Thanks Bryan,

Warm up - 500M row

Did a light work out today as I'm doing some exercises I haven't done in a while. Left a few reps in the tank for all...

Chins@BW
    OH-6,6,
    UH-6,6,

DB Row
    95-6,6,6,

DB Curls
    30-8
    35-8
    40-8
    45-8

AB Wheel
    From knees - 5