starting strength gym
Page 8 of 129 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    11/15

Bench - 285-3, 290-3, 295-3, - Some days the weights seem light and today was one of those days. Followed the spreadsheet but could have added more weight easily. Interestingly my left shoulder was causing some minor pain on warm up, but once I finished my warm ups and got into the working sets the pain was gone. I alternate face pulls, band pull a-parts and shoulder dislocates between each bench set.

Rows - Since I tweaked my left arm doing barbell rows last upper body day I went with assorted dumbbell rows and cable rows.

Presses - The spreadsheet was calling to do sets of 10, 10, 8, and 6. However I strayed off the program as I wanted to do some heavier work. I started at 210-3 which was pretty tough for me a month or so ago. Seemed easy. Did 215-3, still felt easy. Went to 220 and did 3. This is a body weight triple and a PR for me.

Chins - 25lbs - rings-5, OH - 8, UH-8 - Might have to take it easy on the rows and chins as my left arm and elbow are acting up and those exercise seem to aggravate my arm

11/17

Squat - 395-2, gong show as I failed the third rep as I lost my balance, didn't bother changing the safety height from my previous bench workout which was 1 rung to low for my squats and nearly got stuck between the bar and the floor.
    Squat - 410-3, made up for my previous set, did one more than the spreadsheet which called for 1-2 reps.
    Deadlift - 475-3, 495-fail, 1,- After failing the first I took a bit longer rest and managed 1. the second rep failed right at my knees. spreadsheet called for 1-2 reps at 490 but 5 wheels...

11/18

Bench 295-3,3, 315-3,2, on my 3rd rep of 315 I felt a stabbing type pain in my left shoulder just before lockout. Did a second set but could feel the same sort of pain starting to build on the second rep so I stopped. I'm booked for a massage Tuesday so I hope that helps. I believe it is my front deltoid where it attaches to the shoulder... The shoulder joint itself is fine.
    Bench Overloads - 405 - 3 ten second holds
    Slingshot - 365-1, Could have done more but the shoulder was acting...
    BB Rows - 195-3,3,3 no issues today
    Presses - 235-1,1, 225-1,1 Did some heavy singles. Tried 240 but no go. Could probably do it if this was a press only day but the benches probably caused some fatigue.
    Chins - 25 - Rings-7, OH-10, UH-9
    Last edited by skid; 11-18-2016 at 05:16 PM.

11/21

Squats 420-4, worked up to one heavy set. Program called for 1-4 reps. This is a PR for me rep/weight wise. Maybe Candito's program is working. The 1 rep max calculator indicates a 467 1 rep max. Seems a bit high but I'd love to do that in competition.

Squat overload - 520 - 10,10,10 second isometric hold. 520 seems pretty heavy. My last set had me seeing stars at the end

Speed deadlifts -355-4, 365-4, 375-3, followed the program. Heavy deads to come on Friday...

11/22

Got a deep tissue massage on my shoulders. The masseuse (sp?) really tied into me causing a lot of pain, almost told her to stop. I don't think it should hurt that much and will try a different masseuse next time. On the drive home I was really tired for some reason and had a hard time staying awake despite having a good night's sleep the night before. I think it may be related to the massage.

11/23

Some days you feel great, other days you feel like crap. Today was one of the latter days. I think my workout was affected by the massage the previous day as I was still recovering from it.
    Bench - 320-2,2, - The program called for 1-4 reps. I tried 3 on the 1st set, almost got it but ultimately failed on the third. The good news is my shoulder didn't bother me.
    Bench overload - 405 - 5,10, second holds - got dizzy on the second set.
    Barbell row - 200-5,6,5, - strict rows non-stop
    Press - 240-1, 200-3,4,3, - Worked up to a 240 single which would be a PR for me. Again got dizzy after. Reviewed the video and it looks like my knees bent a bit so it doesn't count...

Chins with 25lbs - rings - 4, OH-1, stopped cause I just didn't feel like chin-ups and my left forearm was bothering me.

One highlight - I did my workout in my new Sabo "Goodlift" shoes. Very comfortable and supportive. Hope I feel better Friday for deadlifts...
    Last edited by skid; 11-24-2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added video

11/25

Today was deadlift only day. Program called for 505 for 1-4 reps. I put 510 on the bar. Failed to lift my first attempt. I wasn't ready for the 100% maximal effort required for heavy deadlifts. 2nd attempt 510-2 reps. They weren't pretty and may not pass IPF but I got them to my waist Check out the new Sabo Goodlift shoes too!

I mis-labeled the video as 520 (old timers) as it is 510. The outer 45's are almost 50 pounds each so it is actually a bit more than 510...

I've reached the end of the Candito 5 week program. The 6th week is de-load, 1RM testing, or starting a new cycle. I'll start a new cycle although I have to travel to Boston next week on business which will mess the week up a bit. I have time for another 6 week cycle before my next meet in January along with a week rest prior to the meet.
    Last edited by skid; 11-25-2016 at 07:59 PM.

11/28

Perhaps I should have taken a de-load week as the weights felt very heavy today. Good thing my daughter came in mid workout with some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies to give me energy!

Squat - 375-6,5,3,6 - Probably didn't rest enough between sets. On the second set the 5th rep was a triple bounce of the bottom and max effort to get it up. Third set got my depth all messed up. Went too low on the 3rd rep and did an ass to grass pause. Just managed to get that up. Took a long rest and finished with a last set of 6 with proper depth.
    Deadlift - 430 - 6,6 - Again, weights felt very heavy. Last rep of last set was a 100% effort. I think I need a hip replacement now. This week was supposed to be hypertrophy...

Tomorrow I fly across the continent to Boston for the next couple days returning Thursday evening in time for my 2nd bench press workout of the week. My first is supposed to be tomorrow, but maybe I'll try to get it in later tonight if I have the energy...

11/28

Second workout today. Felt better after having dinner. I'm thinking that perhaps I need an afternoon meal before my workout which I normally start around 5:30. That's 5 hours since my lunch so maybe that's why I'm sometimes lacking energy.

Bench - 185-10, 225-10, 255-8, 260-6, Went fairly easily.
    Press - 140-12,12, 155-10, 175-8, Got a good pump. Last rep was difficult at 175 due to accumulated fatigue and only a few minutes between sets.
    The rest of the workout was rows and chins which I will do tomorrow at the hotel which has some machines that I can do those on.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    11/15

Bench - 285-3, 290-3, 295-3, - Some days the weights seem light and today was one of those days. Followed the spreadsheet but could have added more weight easily. Interestingly my left shoulder was causing some minor pain on warm up, but once I finished my warm ups and got into the working sets the pain was gone. I alternate face pulls, band pull a-parts and shoulder dislocates between each bench set.

Rows - Since I tweaked my left arm doing barbell rows last upper body day I went with assorted dumbbell rows and cable rows.

Presses - The spreadsheet was calling to do sets of 10, 10, 8, and 6. However I strayed off the program as I wanted to do some heavier work. I started at 210-3 which was pretty tough for me a month or so ago. Seemed easy. Did 215-3, still felt easy. Went to 220 and did 3. This is a body weight triple and a PR for me.

Chins - 25lbs - rings-5, OH - 8, UH-8 - Might have to take it easy on the rows and chins as my left arm and elbow are acting up and those exercise seem to aggravate my arm
    Strong !! Good work

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Strong !! Good work
    Thanks!

Page 8 of 129 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast