starting strength gym
Page 4 of 129 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

470/3 Deadlift (done today, 4th set)
    Last edited by skid; 09-16-2016 at 11:03 PM.

405 Squat Done a few weeks ago...
    Last edited by skid; 09-16-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Default Singles Week

Weight 220

Warmup 500M row

Poor sleep last night

Press - 230 - fail, 1, fail, fail, 1 - PR for me, but the bar went up with difficulty. Just couldn't get momentum. Tried strict but no way. Last one was a real grinder. Last singles week 225 went up a lot easier.

Close grip bench - 270 - 6,7,7 - + 2 reps from last week which is a small improvement

Dips - 45 - 1, shoulder felt wonky so I stopped

Cable press down - 90 - 15,15 strict and repped them out for a pump
    Last edited by skid; 09-19-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Weight 220

Decent sleep last night; went to bed early.

Had to work out quickly between the end of my work day and meeting out of town colleagues for dinner, so was a little rushed...

500M row to warm up in 2:00

Squat - 425 - 1,1 PR - Seemed to go pretty easy, so added 10 pounds
    Squat - 435 - 1, PR - Hard, but I got it. After reviewing the video the depth was borderline high, but that weight will set a new B.C IPF record for my under 105kg weight class Masters II age group if I do it in my upcoming competition in one month.
    Chin- ups with 35 pounds - 8,8,8 - was running out of time so only did 3 sets
    Cable row - 270 - 10, 10 - non-stop, constant tension.
    Last edited by skid; 09-20-2016 at 11:11 PM.

325 pause

335 TnG

Felt weak today

Light OH Press 185 - 3,3,3,3,3 - first 2 sets seemed difficult, thought today's pressing would suck, but the weight got easier as I went. 1-2 minutes rest.
    Bench 335 - 1 TnG, 315 1 second pause - 1, 325 - 1 second pause - 1. Bench went well today set a TnG PR and a pause PR.
    Slingshot - 355 - 1, 365 - fail probably went too slow on the 365 and never got the rebound from the slingshot...
    DB incline press - 65 - 15, 15
    DB decline press - 85 - 12
    Last edited by skid; 09-23-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added videos

Seems like I cannot edit previous posts as I wanted to add the squat videos into last Tuesday's post, so I'll have to add them in this new post...

425 squat

435 squat - depth questionable...
    Last edited by skid; 09-23-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Light squat - 325 - 3,3,3 stopped at three sets as my R knee was hurting a bit. This pain seems to come and go depending on the day but it isn't too serious, more slight discomfort than anything. Sometimes if I shake my leg it disappears.
    Deadlift - was going to try to set a PR today, however when I could hardly do 1 warm up rep with 470 I knew today wasn't the day. Did two attempts at 510 but couldn't get it past my knees. Tried dropping 5 pounds but could hardly break it off the floor as fatigue set in. Called it a day after that.

This has been a pretty good week as I set PR's in presses, squats, and bench. I am feeling a little tired and worn out though. I'll be in Boston for most of next week on business, and will take it easier.

The hotel I'm staying in has a squat cage and free weights, and I'm scheduled to start my sets of 5 reps which will help my body to recover after this week of singles. I've got 3 weeks before my meet on Oct 15th so the timing should work well. I'll do fives next week, 3's the following, and the last week will be scheduled for heavy singles but I'll just rest or do light weights until the meet.

I updated my stats in the starting strength forum ranking and have moved to 27th spot. Luckily (or not so luckily as it depends how you look at it) my age pushes my Wilks score higher.

Read the whole thread and you are putting in some great work. You have a nice setup for a home gym too.

Quote Originally Posted by waistline warrior View Post
    Read the whole thread and you are putting in some great work. You have a nice setup for a home gym too.
    Thanks warrior!

Been out of town and travelled across the continent from north of Vancouver to Boston for budget presentations. My flight there was delayed and I basically spent the whole day (left home at 5am) travelling and got to Boston around 10:30 on Monday. Thought I would still try to get a workout in.

The hotel that I stayed at had a picture of their squat rack on their gym page. When I went to the gym all I found was a few cable machines. I did my best to get a press workout in but machines aren't the same.

Went to do my squat/back workout on Tuesday. Found there was another room that had dumbbells and a smith machine. At least that was better than cable machines. Tried to squat but the smith machine felt too weird and I didn't know where to place my feet. I still did 315 for 3 sets of 5. Then I did a few lat pull downs and cable rows too. Had to hurry as our group went for dinner at a place that had 100+ beers on tap (Yardhouse in Dedham). Had a few beers...

Wednesday is normally an off day and my company had arranged a bowling session for our group so went out and had some fun doing that. Had a few beers...

Thursday was travel home day. Plane was delayed two hours again, missed my connecting flight. It eventually took me 18 hours to get home. God I hate economy as I got stuck in a middle seat between two heavyweights. Sat six hours with my shoulders hunched together. Was planning to work out but it was too late and I felt too tired/stiff once I got home.

Today - went to work and had a fairly stressful day solving a bunch of issues and getting things back on track.

Did Thursday's workout after work today:
    Light OH press - 190 - 3,3,3,3,3 - didn't feel so light... Rested 2 minutes between sets
    Bench - 295 - 2,3,3,3,3 - Was supposed to be 3 sets of 5 but all the travel, drinking, road food, jet lag, schedule changes, and poor sleep cost me energy and strength. I at least tried to get 15 reps in for volume.
    Sling shot - 345 - 2,1 Didn't try to push reps out as I didn't want to fail.
    db accessory work - didn't bother

starting strength coach development program
    Did Friday's workout today:

Light squat - 335 - 3,3,3,3,3 - Actually didn't feel too bad considering I am still a little lagged. Rested 2 minutes between sets.
    Deadlift - 455 - 4,5,4 - Supposed to be 5's, first set felt very hard, second easier, tiring on 3rd...
    Stiff leg deadlifts - skipped as the regular deadlifts near killed me at the end
    Shrugs - 225 - 10, 10 - dropped 100+ pounds from earlier workouts due to fatigue. Did a couple of easy, slow, deliberate sets

Page 4 of 129 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast