starting strength gym
Page 74 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Warm up - 500M row in 2:07

Deadlift
    430-5,5, - Went fairly easily, probably easier than last Thursday, but + 11 pounds. Will continue to LP these.

BB Press
    194-5,4, - + 6 pounds from last week. Ran out of gas on second set. Will continue to add 5lbs/week until I can't do 1 rep. At least that's what I'm thinking today

DB incline bench - 2nd highest angle on my bench. Resting my R shoulder from flat bench
    55-10,10, - +5lbs from last week. Getting a bit of a nice DB stretch at the bottom. Hopefully doing something for my shoulder. Vertical pressing doesn't bother my shoulders at all.

BB Row
    165-10,10, - + 10 lbs from last week. went well

High Incline bench DB curl
    30-10,
    40-9,

Crunches - 25

Hollow body holds - 2 sets - held until significant pain/tiredness in abs which for me isn't too long

Warm up - 500M row in 2:00

Squat
    364-5,5,5, - +11 from last week - Still going well although the weight is starting to feel heavy. Will continue to LP these.

Calf raise
    165-12,12 - added 10 pounds from last week

Bench
    352-1 - Worked up to a heavy single - Felt pretty heavy don't know how much more I had in me.
    265-5 - Did one set of back offs - was going to do 2 but decided to not push the shoulder too hard

Clean and Press
    188-3,3, +5 pounds from last week - More like clean and push press for the last set. The bench took a lot out of me. Backed down to 3's instead of 5's

BW Chins
    Overhand - 8
    Underhand - 8
    Neutral grip - 8 Struggled with the last set. Lots of cheating.

EZ bar curls
    110-8, 10, - +10 pounds from last week -These went pretty well. After the second set I immediately grabbed a 20lb dumbbell and did a few more reps for a good burn.

Ab wheel - 10,10,

Warm up - 500M row in 1:55

Paid the price for going heavy on the bench last workout. Both shoulders still sore. It's the delt's though and not the shoulder joint itself if that's any consolation to me. Maybe I should have taken an anti-inflammatory. I'll see how I feel tonight after today's shoulder work.

Deadlift
    441-5,5, +11 from last week. Now starting to get hard. weights still moved well.

OH Press
    199-3,4, - 1st set I didn't want to push it for fear of my shoulder falling off. 2nd set I squeezed out an extra rep. No cheating though

Incline DB bench press at 50 degrees incline
    65-10,10, Hopefully my shoulders don't complain too much tonight

BB Row
    177-10,10, - +11 from last week. Weights moved easily.

DB Curl on incline bench
    35-10,10, - got a good pump from these

Crunches
    BW-30, 20

Warm up - 500M row in 2:00

Squat
    375-5,5,5 - +11 from last week. Went well but starting to feel the weight now

Calf raise
    75-15,15,

Bench
    Worked up to 220 but stopped there as my deltoids were hurting. My shoulders are screwed so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Clean to press
    Again more shoulder pain. Stopped at 155.

Chin ups
    5,5, again shoulder issues plus losing interest

Curls - EZ curl bar
    110-12,12, - At least these went well. did a back off set of 10 with 20 lbs dumbbells for a pump directly after the second set.

Ab wheel - 12,12, -

Warm up - 500M row in 1:59

For some reason I had a sore back today when I got home from work. I sit at a desk most of the day so I didn't do anything to aggravate it, and I rarely get a sore back. Must be back day

Missed yesterday's workout and in a bit of a hurry today so just did 1 set of everything.

Deadlift
    452-5 - OK starting to feel heavy now. Don't know how much longer I can do 10 pound jumps. Was hoping my back would feel better after these but no luck

OH Press - Taking it easy on my shoulders and dropped weight, but added reps
    155-10

50 degree angle incline dumbbell press
    65's-12

BB Row
    182-10 - did these from a dead stop on the floor

Dumbbell curls on high incline bench
    35's-12 - got a good pump from these

Crunches - BW-35 reps

Warm up - 500M row in 2:05

I'm going to cut volume in my workouts for a while, maybe a long while. I am not training for any competition, and likely won't do any more competitions until I'm eligible for Masters 3 in another year and a half. I'm happy where I am strength wise and don't really need to get any stronger,

I'm going to 1 set for most exercises from here on in. I need to give my shoulders a break. My hands are tingly right now just from doing some light bench work so I'll probably cut out all bench work and see if I can get by on just OH press.

I will do more cardio as well and eat less too. That will probably be the hardest thing I do training wise

Did 500M rowing intervals last night for 2000 meters total - gained 1 pound.

Squat
    386-5, 5 - Did two sets of these. +11 pounds from last week. Still going well. May continue to add weight to these until I get to 405 - 5.

Bench - farted around with light weights

Clean to press
    155-5 stayed light with these.

Chin ups
    BW-6,7,

EZ bar curls
    120 - 7,8, Added 10 pounds for last week - followed the last set with 25 lb db's for a set of 10 and a good pump.

Ab wheel - 15

For all the aches and pains I've been complaining about the last couple of months, today was actually a pretty good training day. Nothing hurt except a tiny bit on my R shoulder. Sure makes workouts more fun! Still just doing 1 set of most things except for the important stuff like curls

Deadlift
    463-5 - +11 from last week. 5th rep slowed down a bit but the first 4 went surprisingly well.

Bench
    200-5,5, - Started with just the bar for warm up and to see if there was any chance to add weight and actually do a few reps. Actually felt not to bad where previously even the bar hurt. Slowly added weight but stayed relatively light with these. Stopped adding weight when I felt minor discomfort in my right shoulder. good news is no tinglyness or numbness in my hands/forearms.

OH Press
    161-10 - added 5 pounds from last week. Gonna keep the reps high and weights lower.

Incline DB press @ 45 degrees
    75-10

BB row
    188-10 added 5 lbs from last week

High incline DB curls
    35-13,13, added a rep from last week good pump

Crunches - BW-40

Again, just doing 1 set of most things.

Squat
    397-5, Definitely had to give the weights a push to get these up. Did a back off set of 177-10 to get some blood into my legs.

Calf raise
    177-12

Bench
    Light weights with barbell, did an easy set of 15 with 65lb DB's.

Clean and press
    166-5 - 5 power cleans & 5 presses

Chinups
    BW-6,6,

EZ Bar curls
    120-10,10, last set immediately followed by 25lb dumbbells for 11 reps and a good pump

Ab wheel - 16

Warm up - 500M row in 2:03

Beautiful day outside yesterday, and with the switch to daylight savings time had time after work to go for a mountain bike ride with my youngest son. First ride of the year for us.

The climb to the top of our favorite downhill run (Squamish's Half Nelson - Mountain Biking Half Nelson flow trail, the crown jewel of Squamish, BC - YouTube ) nearly gassed me out completely. I probably pushed my bike uphill half the way. But the bike down was magnificent! We'll start doing this once or twice a week going forward so looking to improve my cardio and perhaps lose a bit of weight/fat.

Deadlift -
    474-5 - The last rep was a 100% effort. Don't know if yesterday's ride affected this today or not. Was pretty exhausted last night so maybe some fatigue carried over.

Incline press - Decided to go with inclines instead of bench and OH press. Shorten my workouts that way!
    155-15 - Going high reps with these to keep the stress on my shoulder down
    DB's - 65-15 Did a set with dumbbells as well. I can change my grip angle which is easier on my shoulders.

BB Row
    188-12 - This time didn't set the weight down between reps.

DB curls - Shortened the range of motion at the bottom and top so as to always keep tension on the biceps.
    35-15,15,

Crunches
    BW-44 pretty good burn in the abs at the end.

starting strength coach development program
    Warm up - 500M row in 1:58

Squat
    408-5 - +11 pounds from last week and interestingly went easier than last week. Maybe because I worked out earlier than normal today. At least I got my man card back (doing 405-5) Video below
    265-10 - An easy set to get some blood flowing through the legs. Felt pretty light after 408.

Calf raise
    177-15

Incline bench at 50 degree incline - Staying light with these and repping them out. Shoulders seem to tolerate this.
    DB's - 75-15
    BB - 155-15

Chin ups
    BW-9,7,

Power Clean
    155-10 - eliminated the press, just cleans. Still good cardio!

Curls
    EZ bar - 120-12 immediately followed by -
    DB's 25-12

Ab Wheel - 20 from knees