starting strength gym
Page 80 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tuesday - More Bike riding - On the climb I'm using mostly 3 and 2nd gear whereas when I started I was in 1st gear occasionally in second gear. Not losing any weight despite the cardio. Guess I have to eat less.

Today,
    Warm up - 500M row in 2:01

Deadlift
    155-5
    275-3
    385-5 - My back is feeling better, but the 1st pull was a bit painful and reminded me to really tense my stomach and press my stomach into my belt. The last 4 went better.

Shrugs
    275-15

Incline DB bench press @ 40 degree angle
    35-10 warm up
    65-13
    75-13
    85-13
    95-13 - These went well today

Pull up row
    BW-10
    15lb chain-10 - Trying to figure out a way to weight these so I wrapped a chain around my neck. Worked well if you don't count the choking

EZ bar pull over
    DB - 40-10 warm up
    100-15

EZ bar curl
    DB - 25-10 warm up
    100-12

Turned 58 yesterday. I don't feel old and still have a fair bit of energy. Spent the last 5 days away from my normal job and spent the time finishing an outbuilding to store my small Kubota tractor and other farm equipment. Still need a place for my big tractor to keep it out of the weather.

Warm up - 500M row in 1:56

Squat
    Bar-5
    165-5
    275-5
    385-4 - Because of doing lots of work around the farm over the last few days today was a bit of a low energy day. Plus my right knee was bothering me. I got my MRI results back a few weeks ago and have a "complex tear of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus". Surgery is optional at this point. I have very minor constant pain but it can be aggravated if i step into a rut or similar. It bothers me more sometimes and less other times.

Bench
    B-10
    165-5
    275-3
    308-3
    Added slingshot
    330-3
    Removed slingshot for back off set
    287-4 just ran out of strength and energy as I was intending to do 5 reps same as squats.

OH Press-
    Bar-5
    188-3 - 3 is all I had in me today.

Chins
    BW + 35lbs
    OH-5
    UH-6

DB Curls
    35-13,13,

DB Hammer curl
    40-11

Happy belated birthday. I'm coming up on 71 in a few weeks myself.

Happy 58th Brother! Keep up the Strong Work!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Happy belated birthday. I'm coming up on 71 in a few weeks myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Happy 58th Brother! Keep up the Strong Work!!
    Thanks guys, I'm a youngster compared to you two

Warm up - 500M row in 1:57

No biking this past Tuesday.

Deadlift
    155-5
    265-3
    330-1 Rather than making 110 lb jumps with my 25kg plates I split the final weight jump in half for a single to better prepare me for my work set
    397-5 - These went surprisingly easy. I made sure to really tense my abs up. Had a slightly sore back prior to lifting but no additional pain during the lift. I'm finally almost healed up!

Shrugs
    287-15 - bumped these up 5 kg from last time same as the deadlift

Incline dumbbell bench press at 40 degree angle
    30-10
    65-5
    75-5
    85-5
    105-6 - Changed things up a bit today and did less reps but brought my new 105 dumbbells into the picture. These were kind of weird since the dumbbells are getting big. I have to compensate for their size by moving my wrist away from my shoulders more to make room for the dumbbells, which isn't so good for shoulder mechanics.

Pull up rows
    BW-10 - To make these more difficult I put my feet on my bench. I may do a different type of rowing since I cannot really weight these properly.

Easy bar pull over
    110-10

Easy bar curl
    DB 30-10 warm up
    110-10

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Turned 58 yesterday. I don't feel old and still have a fair bit of energy.
    Happy Birthday!
    I enjoy following your logs. You're a great inspiration for us "youngsters"!

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    Happy Birthday!
    I enjoy following your logs. You're a great inspiration for us "youngsters"!
    Thanks Irongeek!

Warm up - 500M row in 1:59

Quite mad at my oldest boy. He bailed on a heavy single squat (500+ pounds) and didn't have the safeties set at the right height because he thought he had it easy. He was using my Bull IPF competition bar too. Dropped it on the safeties. He went back to University and took my other bar I used for squatting as I rarely use my Bull comp bar because it is expensive and the knurling is competition sharp.

Because he doesn't want the clot shot he can't use the Uni gym so he bought a Rogue rack and took my Rogue bar I normally use for squatting and my pound weights (I kept the competition Kilo weights). As I was squatting I noticed the weights weren't turning very easy on the bar. I thought maybe the oil gummed up or something because it turned really stiffly. So I sprayed some WD-40 (I had it real handy) into the bearings and it still didn't turn easy. I went to the other side and it spins easily. Then I put 2+2 together and remembered he dropped the bar on the safeties which are bent as well.

Darn kid bent my expensive comp bar! Grrr. I told him when he gets out of school he's buying me a new bar unless I can fix it. I just found out now because I told him he couldn't use it anymore and this is the first time it's been used since the drop.

Squats -
    Bar-5
    172-5
    282-3
    341-1
    392-5 - These went well. Had good energy today. Bar felt weird with only 1 side turning easy

Calf raises
    172-15

Bench
    Bar-10
    155-5
    265-3
    287-5
    242-10 - Back off

OH Press
    Bar-10
    187-5
    133-10 back off

Weighted Chins -
    35-5,5,5,

DB Curls
    35-15,15,

DB Hammer Curl
    40-10

Tuesday - Back mountain bike riding - Conditions were excellent. Someone removed all the loose rocks on the trail (Thanks volunteers!) and the recent rain we had made the downhill hard packed, smooth and fast like a roller coaster. Uphill was good despite warm temperatures and 100% humidity. Had a good sweat and some heavy breathing for the 1/2 hour climb to the top.

Today
    Warm up - 500M row in 2:01

Deadlift
    155-5
    265-3
    330-1
    408-5 - jumped up 10 pounds from last week. No issues or pain but starting to feel heavy now.

Shrugs - dropped 110 pounds (two 25kg's) from my deadlift
    298-15

Incline dumbbell press at 40 degree incline
    30-10
    85-5
    105-6
    85-12

Barbell Row
    155-12,12,

EZ bar pullover
    DB - 40-10 warm up
    EZ bar - 110-12

EZ bar curl
    DB - 40-10 warm up
    EZ bar - 110-12

I'm basically doing warm ups and 1 work set and maintaining /gaining strength. I'm gaining back strength that I had before, but still nice to see I don't have to do multiple sets to make progress or gain back strength. Once I return to 90% or so of previous max strength I would definitely have to increase volume, but I'm not really interested in doing that at this time. I'm doing the lazy man return to strength plan

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I'm basically doing warm ups and 1 work set and maintaining /gaining strength. I'm gaining back strength that I had before, but still nice to see I don't have to do multiple sets to make progress or gain back strength. Once I return to 90% or so of previous max strength I would definitely have to increase volume, but I'm not really interested in doing that at this time. I'm doing the lazy man return to strength plan
    Good to see that someone has similar experiences maintaining during "off seasons" from barbell training. I did something similar during last winter's snowboarding season, then again this summer for various reasons. I just made sure to get at least one intensity set of each lift each week and it takes just about a month to get back to PR territory work sets.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Good to see that someone has similar experiences maintaining during "off seasons" from barbell training. I did something similar during last winter's snowboarding season, then again this summer for various reasons. I just made sure to get at least one intensity set of each lift each week and it takes just about a month to get back to PR territory work sets.
    Thanks Bill! Yes, while not optimal, it seems like just 1 intensity set can drive progress to a certain extent. Plus with us older guys, it leaves some energy to do other physical activities.

Warm up - 500M row in 2:00

Did not feel like working out today. Very low energy day after a long day driving into the city to the feed store, to Cabelas, the fertilizer store, and then Costco. Filled the back of my F250 to the top of the topper with supplies and then the 2 hour drive back home took a full day.

Squats
    66-5
    176-5
    286-1
    352-1
    397-5 - Last rep took considerable effort.
    242-11 - back off set - will continue with these for most primary lifts. I feel these lighter, higher rep sets help recovery.

Calf raise
    177-16

Bench
    Bar-10
    155-5
    265-1
    293-4 - Didn't try for a 5th as I didn't want to grind.
    242-11 back off set

OH Press
    Bar-5
    180-5 - Went easier than expected.
    133-11 - Back off set

Chins BW + 20 lbs
    OH-6
    UH-7

DB curls
    35-16 - I normally do more than 1 set of curls but at this point I was dead.

Page 80 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast