starting strength gym
Page 101 of 129 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1285

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I read you are competing in Feb? what federation? What are your training 1 rm in 3 lifts? What are you projected best attempt lifts in Feb? Have you competed before? how did it go?
    sorry for all the questions just trying to get to know you.

I competed for years. Last year was 2016. I held 4 state records, 1 American in squat, finished second in nationals, qualified for for USAPL Men's Master International team. Became a Certified USAPL Coach and Coached lifters. Not suggesting anything just providing context. for me the past means little, what I'm doing now is all that is relevant.

I am thinking a competing again in April. I think April will give me enough time to SLOWLY get my numbers up. Hopefully my body holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by lou tuch View Post
    I read you are competing in Feb? what federation? What are your training 1 rm in 3 lifts? What are you projected best attempt lifts in Feb? Have you competed before? how did it go?
    sorry for all the questions just trying to get to know you.

I competed for years. Last year was 2016. I held 4 state records, 1 American in squat, finished second in nationals, qualified for for USAPL Men's Master International team. Became a Certified USAPL Coach and Coached lifters. Not suggesting anything just providing context. for me the past means little, what I'm doing now is all that is relevant.

I am thinking a competing again in April. I think April will give me enough time to SLOWLY get my numbers up. Hopefully my body holds up.
    That's impressive Lou!

I'm competing in the IPF Canadian Nationals in February in the Masters III 105kg class. I haven't competed for years until recently when I had to get a qualifying total to go to the Nationals event. Because I competed nationally and at Worlds (got silver in the bench) previously, I didn't have to go through the normal and onerous qualifying rigmarole that I would normally have to do.

I checked the competition lifting schedule and weigh ins are at 06:00 with lifting at 08:00 which sucks. I do better late in the day.

As far as recent gym lifts, I've squatted 490, benched 350, and deadlifted 500. For some reason my deadlift is lagging. My nervous system tells my body that anything over 500 is just too heavy and don't do it or you'll break something

For February I'm hoping to break 500 in the squat, 350 bench, and would be nice to get to 550 deadlift but am less sure of that happening. My eldest son is also competing at Nationals in the 93kg Open division.
    Last edited by skid; 12-31-2022 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    That's impressive Lou!

I'm competing in the IPF Canadian Nationals in February in the Masters III 105kg class. I haven't competed for years until recently when I had to get a qualifying total to go to the Nationals event. Because I competed nationally and at Worlds (got silver in the bench) previously, I didn't have to go through the normal and onerous qualifying rigmarole that I would normally have to do.

I checked the competition lifting schedule and weigh ins are at 06:00 with lifting at 08:00 which sucks. I do better late in the day.

As far as recent gym lifts, I've squatted 490, benched 350, and deadlifted 500. For some reason my deadlift is lagging. My nervous system tells my body that anything over 500 is just too heavy and don't do it or you'll break something

For February I'm hoping to break 500 in the squat, 350 bench, and would be nice to get to 550 deadlift but am less sure of that happening. My eldest son is also competing at Nationals in the 93kg Open division.
    Also very impressive performances.
    where in the ROM do you fail in deadlift? where do you feel your weak point is?
    I assume you do BLDL?
    what is your height and the length of your wingspan?
    Last edited by lou tuch; 12-31-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lou tuch View Post
    Also very impressive performances.
    where in the ROM do you fail in deadlift? where do you feel your weak point is?
    I assume you do BLDL?
    what is your height and the length of your wingspan?
    For deadlifts I typically fail below the knees. Sometimes I cannot break it off the floor. If I get it above the knees lockouts are not a problem.

I've done a conventional deadlift until now, but being unhappy with the results have been training Sumo lately to see if that is more advantageous. Both seem to be the same although I could probably do more conventional due to having more experience with it.

I've done 550lbs conventional around three years ago but seem to have lost the ability to do that but my other lifts haven't regressed much in that time. In fact my squat's improved slightly.

I'm 5'10", wingspan is the same.

I haven't read through all your logs so sorry for all questions:
    do you training DL at various heights like rack pulls?

When I competed I would add in 2" deficit dl's and 2" paused off floor DL.
    The 2" paused off the floor adds time under tension and helps generate exceleration.

Also, when I trained lighters who failed just below the knee, I found that when they trained pushing their hips through that improved.
    so what I did was I took a band and placed it around their waist and pulled it providing resistance from behind them while the did a normal BLDL. They had to fight the resistance and push their hips through hard against the resistance. Over time this helped train a more explosive hip hinge. We added this band to RDL & SLDL.
    I still use this by myself by tying the band somewhere and walking out to feel the resistance.

Thanks for the info Lou! I haven't trained any deadlift variations lately except for Sumo which I am now shelving until after my meet. I'm just too weak in Sumo as compared to conventional and want the best total at the meet, so will be doing conventional for the next month and a half.

Warm up - 500M row

More warm up (circuit)
    12" box step ups (each leg) 10,10,10,10,10,
    Band pull thru's - 125lb green band - 10,10,10,10,10,

SSB squats
    Bar-5
    160-5
    270-3
    335-2,2,2,2,2,2,
    last set

Deadlift
    155-5 Sumo
    265-2 - Sumo
    375-1 - Sumo - Struggled with this and said f'it. Will do Sumo as an accessory, maybe.
    375-5,5,5, conventional - much easier than sumo
    397-2 + yellow band - 2,2, - video

Hanging knee raise - 30

Ive never had any luck with sumo. the other day i pulled 405 conv like it was a warmup, then tried a rep of sumo just for fun and it didnt even come off the ground haha

Thanks for the info Lou! I haven't trained any deadlift variations lately except for Sumo which I am now shelving until after my meet. I'm just too weak in Sumo as compared to conventional and want the best total at the meet, so will be doing conventional for the next month and a half.
    I don't like Sumo either. Probably because I haven't spent enough time with them to feel comfortable. I do find them useful for supplemental work training weak points like glutes. But don't like them for max effort.
    For some lifters based on the body composition like the length of their torso, arms, etc. they have mechanical advantages that make the Sumo better suited for them.
    Last edited by lou tuch; 01-03-2023 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one Cole and Lou! It would take me a long time to progress Sumo!

Warm up - 500M row

Pre-fatigue Bench Circuit:
    DB bench press - 65's-12,12,12,12
    DB chest supported incline row - 65's-12,12,12,12
    DB side laying tricep extensions - 20-12,12,12,12

Paused bench Press:
    Bar-12
    155-5
    265-1
    293-3,3,3,3,3,3,
    Video

Accessory circuit:
    Tempo cable lat pulldown - 180-12,12,
    Tempo supinated DB rollbacks - 25's-12,12,
    DB lat raise - 15's-15,15,

Suitcase abs - 20,20,
    DB curls - 35's-10,10,

starting strength coach development program
    Will do Sumo as an accessory
    good idea. I do them occasionally when I want to work glutes 8-12 reps. They do work the glutes well. It took me some time to figure out my glutes where limiting my dl. I used to think glute training was for girls. LOL