starting strength gym
Page 105 of 128 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1275

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    Good luck on your meet. I look forward to the results!
    Thanks Irongeek!

Warmup - 500M row

Very light workout today. Last bit of training before meet.

DB bench - 5 reps reverse grip, 5 neutral and 5 regular grip
    35-15,15,15,

Circuit:
    Lat pulldown - 135-6,6,6,
    DB row - 40-6,6,6,

IPF Canadian National meet results:

This was quite a fast moving meet. Barely had time to warm up before having to lift. No way of changing openers since I hadn't even finished warming up and not knowing how my heaviest warm ups would go. 550 lifters over the full week, 2 platforms going at all times. Gino the pirate announcing the results. No warning as to when you were due up meaning you had to carefully watch the board. Although I had a successful meet there were 2 mistakes made on my part.

IPF Masters 3 (60 years and up 105kg/231lb weight class)
    Squat:
    Opener - 210kg/462lb - was a little shaky but it went well. However, I couldn't tell if I got white lighted since I couldn't see the lights. I asked the ref if it was a good lift and he didn't respond. Looked around again to find the lights but they had gone out. By the time I figured things out I missed the 1 minute timeline for putting in my next lift numbers. Also, had my wife as my handler which really complicated things. She's partly deaf and has a hard time hearing things, especially with lots of back ground noise.
    2nd lift - 212.5kg/467 lbs - if you don't submit your lift in time they raise the lift by 2.5kg so that's what I did.
    3rd lift - 220kg/485lbs - 5kg meet PR! This was going to be my second attempt originally, but was my third here. Good lift - had maybe another 5kg in me I think. Had to really bury the squats as judging was tough.

Bench
    Opener - 150kg/330 lbs - Went well
    2nd - 155kg/342lbs - Went well but got red lighted; They say I didn't wait for a command, but thought I obeyed all commands. It was very noisy though.
    3rd - 157.5kg/347 - red lighted - This is a weight I can usually make and more, but it didn't go today. Damn

Deadlift
    Opener - 225kg/495 lbs - went well
    2nd - 235kg/517lbs - again, went pretty good
    3rd - 245kg/539lbs - fail - Couldn't get past my knees - Still happy with the deadlifts since my back has been a bit messed up lately.

Total - 605kg/1331lbs - Established a new National M3 105 total record, beating the old record by 20kg. Another lifter was 10kg behind me. Total of 4 lifters in my age/weight class for this event. No records in any individual lifts, just the total. As far as the International powerlifting federation (IPF) goes, number 3 all time in the world according to open powerlifting rankings! Happy with that! The two guys on the podium with me today were 7th and 8th in the world all time (previously) according to open powerlifting rankings ,so I had those guys pushing me all the way.
    Last edited by skid; 02-14-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Awesome job Skid!

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    Awesome job Skid!
    Thanks Cole! You did excellent at your meet too!

I'm going to give my future workout programming some thought this weekend. Likely it will be twice per week, or perhaps 3 times.

I'm not sure whether the conjugate method really worked for me or not. From a strength perspective, I think I respond best to higher intensity work, especially for contest prep. I did notice that from a aesthetic point of view that I look more muscular than before, but think I gave up some strength. I lost 30kg in my total from my last comp, but again that could be because I'm older too.

Based on that assessment, I will probably do higher intensity work for the 3 main lifts, and then for accessory work I'll do sets of 10-15 reps for hypertrophy. I'll probably mix the accessories up to get some variety. We'll see; Nothing is set in stone, plus mountain bike season is starting up again!

A new record? Fantastic! You've raised the bar (literally and figuratively!)
    Congratulations!

Congratulations! Nice accomplishment. As for accessory work I just do more squats, bench, and deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    A new record? Fantastic! You've raised the bar (literally and figuratively!)
    Congratulations!
    Thanks Irongeek!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Congratulations! Nice accomplishment. As for accessory work I just do more squats, bench, and deadlifts.
    Thanks Jerry! LOL, keeping the programming simple!

Thanks Jerry! LOL, keeping the programming simple![/QUOTE]

Yep! I still walk 2-3 miles a day, hit the heavy bag 3-4 times a week, ride my bicycle, and play with the grandkids. I tell anyone that will listen that if you want to get strong on squats, bench, or deadlifts, then just do them. I love walking into the gym looking like an old man and everyone being amazed at the weight I use. When I get above 315 the majority of the people have their cell phones out videoing me. A lot tell me I inspire them and they hope to be as active and strong at 70. When they ask me about my age, how long have you lifted, then my health they can't believe it. Neither can my team of doctors and nurses! It hurts just sitting around so I stay busy.

Keep up the training and breaking records!

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I'm going to give my future workout programming some thought this weekend. Likely it will be twice per week, or perhaps 3 times.

I'm not sure whether the conjugate method really worked for me or not. From a strength perspective, I think I respond best to higher intensity work, especially for contest prep. I did notice that from a aesthetic point of view that I look more muscular than before, but think I gave up some strength. I lost 30kg in my total from my last comp, but again that could be because I'm older too.

Based on that assessment, I will probably do higher intensity work for the 3 main lifts, and then for accessory work I'll do sets of 10-15 reps for hypertrophy. I'll probably mix the accessories up to get some variety. We'll see; Nothing is set in stone, plus mountain bike season is starting up again!
    AWESOME EFFORT. CONGRATS.
    You can still do the conjugate but modify it to include more intensity on the (3) competition lifts and their variations. It will work. I do a similar training by adding more frequent use of lifts like, varying paused, pins, varying deficits, etc.
    also not sure this applies to you or not but one weakness I see with powerlifters using the conjugate is that when it comes to dynamic days they increase the accommodating resistance more than they add the weight to the bar. So coming off the bottom of a squat or bench they are not moving 100% of the weight. I always keep the accommodating resistance the same and just keep adding the weight to the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Thanks Jerry! LOL, keeping the programming simple!
    Yep! I still walk 2-3 miles a day, hit the heavy bag 3-4 times a week, ride my bicycle, and play with the grandkids. I tell anyone that will listen that if you want to get strong on squats, bench, or deadlifts, then just do them. I love walking into the gym looking like an old man and everyone being amazed at the weight I use. When I get above 315 the majority of the people have their cell phones out videoing me. A lot tell me I inspire them and they hope to be as active and strong at 70. When they ask me about my age, how long have you lifted, then my health they can't believe it. Neither can my team of doctors and nurses! It hurts just sitting around so I stay busy.

Keep up the training and breaking records![/QUOTE]

Thanks Jerry, Totally agree that lifting keeps you young and strong! Keep up the great work and stay strong!

Quote Originally Posted by lou tuch View Post
    AWESOME EFFORT. CONGRATS.
    You can still do the conjugate but modify it to include more intensity on the (3) competition lifts and their variations. It will work. I do a similar training by adding more frequent use of lifts like, varying paused, pins, varying deficits, etc.
    also not sure this applies to you or not but one weakness I see with powerlifters using the conjugate is that when it comes to dynamic days they increase the accommodating resistance more than they add the weight to the bar. So coming off the bottom of a squat or bench they are not moving 100% of the weight. I always keep the accommodating resistance the same and just keep adding the weight to the bar.
    Thanks Lou, good points all! I'm going to continue with a hybrid approach. Some conjugate, some intensity focusing on the big three. Nothing is set in stone at this point.

1st workout since the meet so taking it easy.

Warm up - 500M row

Squat
    Bar-10
    155-5
    265-2
    375-1
    330-5,5,

Calf raise
    155-10,10,

Bench
    Bar-10
    155-5