starting strength gym
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: DirtyRed Attempts Legitimacy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Not sure why I didn't update for a week and a half. The laziness consumes.

Now, if you've been paying attention, I order new shoes a year ago. I woke up on the first giddy at the prospect of politely telling the poor customer service bastard that I had ordered my shoes LAST YEAR. You can't imagine how pissed off I was when I realized the shoes had just been delivered. But at least it was a good excuse to use brand new equipment to lift heavy ass weights and see what happened.

That workout went pretty well. The shoes are rock solid with a slightly higher heel than my old pair, and I've noticed I'm able to get under and control snatches better with them. C&Js are still a shit show. If anything it has taken me a minute to adjust to the clean with these shoes, as I find myself having to stop down in the hole and collect myself before squatting back up. I am STILL slipping on jerks, and I'm beginning to think it's the over-lacquered fucking platform. I'm going to deliberately do C&Js on the older platform that I used to do them on without issue and see if that helps it.

Monday 1-1-2018
    Snatch:
    185 lbs 8x2
    Clean&Jerk: 265 lbs 15x1
    Dips: 5x10
    Curls: 80 lbs 4x10

The shoes don't seem to make a huge difference when squatting. They might feel a TEENY bit more solid under my heel, but otherwise no drastic change. Though it might be slight adjustment to the shoes I wasn't aware of that caused the squats to be slower than I thought they might. The next week's weight wasn't noticeably slower or more difficult after a week of adjusting to the shoes, even though it was 10 lbs heavier.

It was during the standing presses that I realized my right shoulder was beginning to hurt. I think the constant jerk nonsense had irritated it. I THINK it might be a strained the long head of the triceps, because it doesn't feel like a bone or ligament ache, though it feels deeper than ordinary muscle soreness, it largely hurts behind the shoulder and a wee bit down the arm, bench pressing does nothing to it, and it aches like shit when getting out from under front squats. Whatever the problem is, it really doesn't like it when I shove my shoulder into that front squat position with a really flexed elbow.

Tuesday 1-2-2018
    Squats:
    465 lbs 5x5
    Standing Press: 185 lbs 5x5
    Deadlifts: 3x3 455 lbs
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 5 lbs added 3x10

I think everyone was too hungover to work out on Monday, and I was in the gym later than usual on Tuesday, so I didn't see much New Years' Shenanigans. Thursday, I got to the gym at 4 PM. This was my reaction upon walking through the door:

Good lord, this poor, doomed species. There was one dork doing barbell rows with the deadlift bar. Another guy was bringing back those Oscillation Squats back. Two high schoolers who could not have had a combined weight greater than mine were DPing a 95 lbs bench press. And then a heard of wildebeest showed up for their annual fitness class.

I got 205 lbs snatch rather cleanly, and 285 lbs C&J better than before, however. Good enough to try 290 lbs, but I could only clean that, and failed the jerk three times. I'm beginning to think that sort of thing is what is doing whatever has been happening to my right shoulder. As I said, it ached like shit after front squats.

Thursday 1-4-2018
    Snatch:
    200 lbs, 205 lbs
    C&J: 285 lbs
    Front Squats: 325 lbs 3x3
    Chin ups: 3x10
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 5 lbs 3x10

Saturday went well enough. I think I was in there AHEAD of most of the retardation at least. Though I only did a couple reps of standing press before it because obvious my shoulder wasn't able to generate the usual amount of force with whatever was wrong with it, and took the opportunity to try a couple of push presses in advance of incorporating them into a program for real. They didn't bother my shoulder nearly as much. It's obviously the bottom of the lift, where my elbow is most flexed, that causes problems.

I don't know if I ate better or slept better or what, but I seemed to be more UP in general and got every deadlift without any more trouble than one would expect from deadlifts over 90% of my max

Paused Squats: 525 lbs 5x1
    Standing Press: 195 lbs 1x3 and then two push presses with that weight
    Deadlifts: 520 lbs 3x1

Snatches went really well on Monday. Clean and jerks did not. No problems cleaning the weight, a whole bunch jerking it. Obviously my overhead strength is WAY behind my pulling and leg strength. I stopped bothering after 5 successful C&Js to give my shoulder a break.

Monday 1-8-2018
    Snatch:
    195 lbs 8x2
    C&J: 270 lbs lol5x1
    Curls: 4x10

Aside from the presses, which I just did push presses for, everything on Tuesday went well.

Tuesday 1-9-2018
    Squats:
    475 lbs 5x5
    Push Press: 185 lbs 5x5
    Deadlifts: 455 lbs 3x3
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 10 lbs added 3x10

I'm probably going to do one more full week of this, take an easy week, and see where some maxes are. It'd be really neat to hit 600 lbs on the squat again, having lost over 20 lbs from my Walking Around Weight since the last time I hit that, but I'd be content with 585 lbs. I might actually be able to manage LMAO2PLAYT snatch too, since that seems to be going really well. Then I'll come up with a new program set up that is so ingenious that my head would explode if I even began to understand what I'm thinking about. More on that later.

The best part of the Thursday workout was the guy squatting 65 lbs. Who, when he was done with a set, just pressed it off his back, brought it in front of himself, and THEN put it back on the rack. I never thought the world would need a YouTube instructional video about HOW TO USE A SQUAT RACK, but here we are.

Snatches went well, C&J did not. My shoulder wasn't cooperating, so I hit one at a slightly lighter weight moved on to further aggravate it with front squats. The front squats are getting done, but I can really notice my upper back start to tilt forward on later reps.

Thursday 1-11-2018
    Snatch:
    205 lbs, 210 lbs
    C&J: 265 lbs
    Front Squats: 330 lbs 3x3
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 10 lbs 3x10
    Chin Ups: 3x10

Saturday was mildly successful. The squats were hard enough that I am not certain I'll be able to get them all next week, but I'll try anyway. I just push pressed for presses, because it seems to be easier on my shoulder (also, water is wet). Only got two of the deadlifts. Even though I'm pretty sure I got 525 for three singles on my last training cycle. I'm going to add some deadlift volume on the next training cycle, and probably also add a wee bit of body weight. Or at least stop losing body weight. I'm down to 216 lbs.

Saturday 1-13-2018
    Paused Squats:
    535 lbs 5x1
    Push Press: 1x5 195 lbs
    Deadlifts: 525 lbs 2x1

Maybe I didn't warm up close enough to working weights with snatches on Monday, but the first couple of sets were a real clusterfuck. After that, I started doing them better and they started being a lot faster and more stable throughout. Funny how that works. My shoulder was feeling better, and clean and jerks were done fairly well, but after about 10, I could feel my shoulder getting sore again, so I stopped there and went on to dips, which never seemed to irritate my shoulder any.

Monday 1-15-2018
    Snatch:
    200 lbs 8x2
    C&J: 270 lbs 10x1

Tuesday made it rather clear that this week is a good Last Full Week before a short rest and some max tests. Squats were miserable. In hindsight, that seems rather normal with 485 lbs 5x5, really. Continued with push presses, just 'cause. Deadlifts felt fairly strong, really, despite myself feeling utterly exhausted from the squats at that point.

Tuesday 1-16-2018
    Squats:
    485 lbs 5x5
    Push Press: 185 lbs 5x5
    Deadlifts: 460 lbs 3x3

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    I'm down to 216 lbs.
    That explains why you're so bad at logging on time recently. You're barely even there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    That explains why you're so bad at logging on time recently. You're barely even there anymore.
    RIGHT? I actually see a couple of ribs.

Also, I weighed 219 lbs on Saturday, probably because I ate a load of nachos (brunch of champions, right there) before leaving for the gym, which might be why I'm updating after only half a week.

Thursday was fun. I got to see a Brosaurus Rex doing "chin up" reps from 3/4 of the way to the bottom to 3/4 of the way to getting eye level with the bar while wearing a weighted vest with a MARPAT camo knockoff pattern. I got 210 lbs snatch nicely, but couldn't actually catch and recover with a 215 lbs snatch despite trying about five fucking times. Despite this, after short recovery period of a week an change, I remain positive about 225 lbs. Similarly, clean and jerk is a clusterfuck, I'm going to break a leg (literally, not the good luck way) slipping around on the shitty platforms I have to deal with. This is the sort of shit that drives people to squat jerking. Shit. It took three tries to get 285 lbs AGAIN without my back foot slipping to the point I had to bail.

At least maybe I'll hit a snatch PR by the end of this.

Thursday 1-18-2018
    Snatch:
    210 lbs single
    C&J: 285 lbs single
    Chin ups: 3x10
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 15 lbs 3x10

Saturday was educational. Turns out, without some momentum gained from the stretch reflex at the bottom of a squat, squatting 545 lbs is really hard. I still completed all five reps, but each one of them would have lost a race to continental drift. They grinded. Which makes it a nice time in the program to stop, recover, and try a max. Still only got two reps of deadlifts.

Saturday 1-20-2018
    Paused Squats:
    545 lbs 5x1
    Push Press: 195 lbs 5x1
    Deadlifts: 525 lbs 2x1

HA! Bi-weekly update!

Semi-weekly update? Whatever.

I do love recovery weeks. A nice period to let my intravertebral discs decompress. I do hate January. Maybe by February I'll no longer have to stop to take the deadlift bar off the squat racks.

Monday was about a 3/4 day or so. I WAS going to just do a 265 lbs clean and jerk to see how it felt, and then go back to 245 lbs for a few reps, but 265 was really solid so I just did a some reps with that, then my shoulder ache began to creep back and figured that was a good stopping point for a baby day.

Monday 1-22-2018
    Snatch:
    185 lbs 5x2
    C&J: 265 lbs 7x1

Tuesday I did me a bunch of speed sets with fairly light weight, partially to reassert the distinction between my individual lumbar vertebrae, and partially to get something of a gauge on what a decent weight is for this stuff, since I'm going to start doing a fat load more of it on the Super Sekrit Program I'm going to be doing after this.

Tuesday 1-23-2018
    Speed Squats:
    315 lbs 3x8
    Speed Standing Press: 135 lbs 3x5
    Speed Deadlifts: 315 lbs 3x5

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    I'm going to start doing a fat load more of it on the Super Sekrit Program I'm going to be doing after this.
    I bet it's Smolov.

Or a jackal. A jackal! Is it a jackal? Jackal. See what I did there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I bet it's Smolov.

Or a jackal. A jackal! Is it a jackal? Jackal. See what I did there?
    Stop guessing, I'll tell you at the end of this. And you better hope The Man can't see what you did there.

I'm tired of "tapering" now. I wanna lift something heavy again. Thursday was just a warm up, a couple of mildly heavy snatches and C&Js, and some nonsense afterwards.

Thursday 1-25-2018
    Snatch:
    200lbs two singles
    Clean&Jerk: 265 lbs two singles
    Chin Ups: 3x8

Saturday I did my old powerlifting routine of hitting what I assumed would be an opener. After doing 565 lbs, I might have adjusted my opener downwards. It WENT all right, but it wasn't terribly fast. I might have been able to do a double with it, but that would have been brutal. My squat might be down a bit. But I'm still confident I can get at least LMAO6PLAYT (585 lbs for those who don't speak in memes) when it comes to it. Looking back, I'm not sure why I would think 515 lbs would have been an acceptable deadlift opener. It, too, was harder than I would ever like in a hypothetic opener, but not really THAT hard. Good thing the exact weight for my barely maintenance singles during the "taper" of a jabroni PROBABLY isn't super important. Deadlift is also down a touch, but I'm going to try 545 lbs and have some confidence in it.

Saturday 1-27-2018
    Squats:
    565 lbs single
    Push Press: 195 lbs 1x5
    Deadlift: 515 lbs single
    Close Grip Bench: 195 lbs 3x8
    Curls: 90 lbs 3x8

Monday was a few reps of each "classic" that were JUST heavy enough to make me do them semi-correctly, but not nearly heavy enough to actually be difficult. Followed by ArmzZz.

I also got to see some fresh, new idiocy. Which is rare by this point. Some guy was standing in front of the T-Row-Lever-Whatever contraption, shoulders parallel to the shaft (hehe, shaft), and, with an overhand grip with his right hand, was pulling the thing upwards with a combination of elbow flexion and shoulder elevation. A weighted monkey-armpit-scratch, I guess you could call it.

Monday 1-29-2018
    Snatch:
    185 lbs 4x1
    Clean&Jerk: 245 lbs 5x1

Now, for the Top Sekrit Uber Classified DR Program of Maximum Swole (patent pending). I'm going to do a week full of a fat load of volume mostly at 70+% of maxes of the main barbell type lifts, along with a bunch of assistance nonsense to strengthen things that seem to be weaker relative to the rest of me, and to further load volume up. Then I'm going to do a week of relatively lighter weights, but all Dynamic Effort and fast and shit, along with just enough weight to be difficult, in order to give my synovial fluid a break while still allowing me to put some effort into it. Then I'm going to do a week of considerably heavier weights, including 90+% weight with main barbell lifts, and assistance exercises with lower reps and heavier weight. And keep repeating them until SWOLENESS is achieved or I'm crippled.

Now, you might be saying, "DR, this sounds a lot like HLM."

That's wrong and you're stupid. This is Volume/Speed/Intensity. Totally different. They're called different things AND it's in a different order for no real reason. Now, I'ma write out the vague outline of what I plan to actually DO on individual days, so that I have it to reference when my CTE flairs up.

Volume Week
    -Monday: Snatches 6x2 85% Hang Snatches 5x2 (I'll figure this out as I have no idea what I can actually do them for) Squats 5x8 70% Barbell Rows 4x8
    -Tuesday: C&J 10x1 80% Hang Cleans 4x2 (see Hang Snatches above for weight) Standing Press 4x8 (meant to be fairly strict to focus on shoulder strength overhead) Deadlifts 3x5 80% Roman Chair Sit Ups 3x10
    -Thursday: Snatches 5 singles ~90% Paused Squats 5x3 80% Standard Bench Press 3x5 (I will also figure this out as I don't intend to actually test a bench max) Chin Ups 3x10
    -Saturday: C&J 5 singles ~90% Push Press 5x3 Deadlifts 3x3 85% Curlz 3x10

Speed Week
    -Monday: Snatches 4x2 85% 4x2 Power Snatches (whatever is the heaviest weight I can truly POWER snatch for those reps) Speed Squats 3x8 55% Dips 5x10 Curls 4x10
    -Tuesday: C&J 5 singles 85% 5x2 Power Cleans (see above) Speed Bench Press 3x8 Barbell Rows 3x5
    -Thursday: Power Snatches 6x2 Front Squats 3x5 Chin ups 3x10 Roman Chair Sit Ups 3x10
    -Saturday: Power Cleans 5x3 Push Press 5x3 Deadlifts 2x5 75% Close Grip Bench 3x8 (Might also see about doing overhead squats on this day)

Intensity Week
    -Monday: Snatches 10x1 90% Squats 5x5 80% Barbell Rows 5x5
    -Tuesday: C&J 10x1 95% Push Press 5x5 Deadlifts 1x5 85%
    -Thursday: Snatch (a goddamn heavy one) Squats 5x1 95% Bench Press 3x3 Weighted Chin ups 3x5
    -Saturday: C&J (a goddamn heavy one) Push Press 5x3 Deadlift 3x1 95% Roman Chair Sit Ups 3x8 Weighted Dips 3x5

I reserve the right to change my mind about some of this shit once I actually DO it and find out what a bad idea it was.
    Last edited by DirtyRed; 02-05-2018 at 02:55 AM.

I did some nonsense on Tuesday that was all basically a glorified warm up. Thursday was Max "Classics" day, and was mixed. I still couldn't RECOVER from 215 lbs when snatching. But I DID clean and jerk 285 lbs almost like I knew what the fuck I was doing.

Saturday was Max Other Stuff day. Squats have lightly suffered from losing 25 lbs of walking around weight, I think. Also possibly from not reps of 90% or more consistently enough cuz volume. I got 585 lbs at such a tragically slow speed I can't think of a good joke to describe it. Continental drift would be insulted to be compared to that bar speed. I still completed the rep however.

I then warmed up and did a rep of 225 lbs on push press just for funsies. Then it was deadlifts, which have lost a lot more than squats. I got 525 lbs slowly, and couldn't budge 545 lbs.

Also, and I'm sure this has nothing to do with an 8 second struggle on squats, my SI joint area has ached like a son of a fuck all Sunday. Not enough to impair basic Get Into And Out Of The Car function or anything, but worse than the normal dull stiffness. I'll see how it feels after warming up and shit tomorrow. As long as it's not prohibitively painful, I'll proceed to perpetrate the proposed plan. And I'ma try to gain 10 lbs over a couple months without resorting to eating a boggling amount of junk food.

Nice work on the C&J!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Nice work on the C&J!
    Thanks. How stable the jerk was is encouraging.

I get the feeling I'm going to regret all the stupid stuff I did tonight. Which is not USUALLY something I say when I'm sober. Whatever is wrong with my right SI joint/hip/buttcheek was still aching a bit, but wasn't really exacerbated by 180 lbs snatches or the hang snatches. So I was optimistic about squats. That was misplaced. Actually DOING the squats wasn't that bad. It bugged my worse than on snatches, but nothing serious. Walking them out sucked. Every time I stepped back with the right foot it was NEARLY discomforting enough to cause me to stop.

Which is exactly the worst possible amount of discomfort, because it didn't actually cause me to stop, and it's probably going to be even MORE of a pain in the ass tomorrow as a result. What can you do.

I mean, you can stop squatting, but that'd be crazy.

I also might have gone REALLY light on rows just to see where they are as I have not done them in YEARS. I'll probably go up considerably for the next 4x8 three weeks from now.

Volume Week 1: Monday 2-5-2018
    Snatches:
    180 lbs 6x2
    Hang Snatches: 145 lbs 5x2
    Squats: 415 lbs 5x8
    Barbell Rows: 135 lbs 4x8

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast