starting strength gym
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: DirtyRed Attempts Legitimacy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Honestly, I was GOING to update sooner, but then I thought Another Metroid 2 Remake would be more fun. Several days of "I'll just check out one more room," here we are.

Intensity Week 3: Monday 4-2--2018
    Snatches:
    205 lbs 10x1 (Can increase weight)
    Squat: 475 lbs 5x5 (Can increase weight)
    Barbell Row: 225 lbs 5x5 (Can increase weight)
    Curls: 90 lbs 3x10

I'm not sure what possessed me to move up 10 lbs from last Intensity Tuesday's clean and jerks, but that wasn't a great idea. I stopped trying after failing to jerk the 8th rep three fucking times.

Intensity Week 3: Tuesday 4-3-2018
    Clean and Jerks:
    290 lbs 7x1 (Do not increase weight under any circumstances, for the love of gods that probably don't exist)
    Push Press: 215 lbs 5x5
    Deadlifts: 450 lbs 3x3

Did more running around on Wednesday. Practiced some dropkicks for funsies and an excuse to run after the ball. I'm weirdly much better at those than I ever remember being. By which, I mean I don't remember being able to CONNECT with the ball more than half the time.

I tried 220 lbs on snatch at least six times on Thursday, and while ONE TIME I managed to get it locked out overhead and stand erect with it, there was such a press out I can't even count it as a gym PR. This was almost as much of a legitimate snatch as sumo bullshit floor pulls are legitimate Deadlifts. I might have to start overhead squatting more than twice every third week. I am pulling the the fucking finish off the bar, but I can't catch it overhead all stable and whatnot.

Intensity Week 3: 4-5-2018
    Snatch:
    220 lbs failed over and over and over and over and over again.
    Squat: 560 lbs 5x1 (Keep on adding weight, why not. I did the last one so well I might have been able to get two)
    Chin Ups: 30 lbs added 3x5 (probably a good weight for now)
    Bench Press: 275 lbs 3x3

In anticipation of the alumni match on Saturday, I did the usual Saturday turbo heavy workout on Friday instead. That's what all the best rugby players do, right? Hit maxes and shit 18 hours before kickoff? RIGHT?

Anyway, I hit 305 lbs clean and jerk, and did it well enough that I figured to try for 310. After nearly spraining my elbow having it slide off my shoulders because I didn't get my elbows "through" and "up" enough, possibly because I never got my upper back extended and chest up, I moved on to push presses. Still, 305 lbs = PR.

Clean and Jerk: 305 lbs (I'll maybe get a video posted if I can pull myself away from Metroid Prime long enough)
    Push Press: 230 lbs 5x3
    Deadlifts: 520 lbs 3x1
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 10 lbs added 3x10
    Weighted Dips: 50 lbs added 3x5 (Good weight)

PS: Good news, bad news. The good news is that the rugby match was cancelled because everyone south of Canadia is a colossal weeny about temperatures in the 30s, so I didn't get gruesomely injured playing rugby for no good reason. The bad news is that the rugby match was cancelled because everyone south of Canadia is a colossal weeny about temperatures in the 30s, so I did two weeks of mild cardio for absolutely nothing.

No one has suffered like DirtyRed, this he knows.

Updating now because I don't want to get more than a week behind because I can barely stretch my memory a week as it is. I might drag ass into updating more often now that I beat Metroid Prime. Ridley a shit.

I've largely stopped posting the stupid ass shit I see people do in the gym. Possibly because they stopped doing so much stupid ass shit, but more likely because it all begun to blend together into a mediocrity stew. On Monday, I got to see something new. Upon the platform, there was a dork doing push ups. I get that the "equipment" needed to do pushups is literally "flat space of ground," I just don't know what made this twit pick specifically the flat space of ground usually used for actual training. And I keep saying "pushups," even though they weren't really pushups. I just don't know what you call a "pushup" where one's illiac crest doesn't leave the ground.

Also, The Plan as of now is to wait until the end of the NEXT Light Week to try new snatch and C&J maxes. I feel I might be more 100% at the end of Weeny week compared to the end of Really Goddamn Heavy Week. The goal will be the 2 and 3 plaet, and I might take a bit of a rest week after that before starting ANOTHER super secret proprietary routine of my own design that will be a miracle if it doesn't injure me.

Volume Week 4: Monday 4-9-2018
    Snatches:
    200 lbs 6x2
    Hang Snatches: 155 lbs 4x2 (definitely do heavier)
    Squats: 435 lbs 5x8
    Barbell Rows: 205 lbs 4x8
    Overhead Squats: 165 lbs 3x3 (definitely go up in weight)

I weenied back a bit on the clean and jerks on Tuesday. Which was a good call, because whatever I kind of pulled near my right elbow failing 310 lbs on Saturday was absolutely killing me in between sets. I took a short break part way through the clean and jerks to get a double dose of Advil from the car, which allowed me to continue. Happily, whatever the problem was seems to have largely healed since, as there wasn't any real discomfort doing heavier clean and jerks on Saturday.

Volume Week 4: Tuesday 4-10-2018
    Clean and Jerks:
    285 lbs 10x1
    Hang Cleans: 235 lbs 4x2 (can definitely increase weight)
    Deadlifts: 430 lbs 3x5 (keep increasing)

Snatches were really crisp on Thursday. I'm getting pretty good at doing weights that aren't PRs. Yay.

Volume Week 4: Thursday 4-12-2018
    Snatches:
    205 lbs 5x1 (increase weight)
    Paused Squats: 485 lbs 5x3 (increase weight A BIT)
    Bench Press: 240 lbs 3x8 (Don't increase weight)
    Chin ups: 3x10

I had WANTED to do a wee bit more front squatting, to help with racking and recovering from a heavy ass clean, since I feel my upper back caving forward is what's dooming my heaviest clean attempts, and subsequently twisting my elbow all around as the bar slides forward off my shoulders. I forgot to do it on Thursday when I though it'd be best, so I did some on Saturday. Clean and jerks went well

Volume Week 4: Saturday 4-14-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    290 lbs 5x1
    Push Press: 230 5x3 (Can increase weight)
    Deadlift: 470 lbs 3x3 (keep going up)
    Squats: 405x8 455x5 495x3 560x1 405x8
    Curls: 100 lbs 3x8

Speed Week 4: Monday 4-16-2018
    Snatches:
    200 lbs 4x2
    Power Snatches: 180 lbs 4x2
    Speed Squats: 295 lbs 4x8
    Dips: 5x10
    Curls: 95 lbs 3x10

Volume Week 4: Tuesday 4-17-2018
    Clean and Jerks:
    290 lbs 5x1
    Power Cleans: 250 lbs 4x2
    Speed Bench Press: 180 lbs 4x8
    Deadlifts: 405 lbs 3x5
    Overhead Squats: 170 lbs 3x3
    Barbell Rows: 225 lbs 3x5

Speed Week 4: Thursday 4-19-2018
    Snatch:
    205 lbs single
    Power Snatch: 180 lbs 6x2
    Front Squats: 295 lbs 3x5
    Squats: 405x8 445x5 495x3 405x8
    Chin Ups: 3x10
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 3x10

Speed Week 4: Saturday 4-21-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    295 lbs single
    Power Cleans: 250 lbs 5x3
    Push Press: 230 lbs 5x3
    Deadlifts: 455 lbs 1x5
    Overhead Squats: 175 lbs 3x3

Monday was a treat. The locker room at my gym doesn't have that little tall glass rectangle window thing, because apparently they value privacy over not accidentally swinging the door into someone you couldn't possibly have known was on the other side every fucking time you try to enter. Usually I'm bowling over some unlifting peasant that has to avert his gaze from the glorious magnificence of my Swole, while apologizing for being in My way. On Monday, I opened the door into someone, like usual, at was face-to-clavical with some 6'7'' turbo viking. I about dodged into the adjacent laundry/cleaning closet to get out of the way.

I was a little slow on the uptake. I thought to myself that his giant orange beard look exactly like Erick Rowan's. As I was putting my stuff in a locker, I realized that he was 6'7'' like Erick Rowan. A minute later, my brain finally engaged, and a quick search on the phone later, I realized that was Erick Rowan, and WWE was doing a show at WKU's basketball arena later that night.

So that was fun. Considerably less fun was walking over to the platforms and racks to see Xavier Woods do possibly the worst squats since the glory days of TOD. My greatest regret is that I didn't realize he was who he was until he had finished, because these were the sort of thing that required the douchebag secret recording to be mocked on the internet. His heels were Westside width (read: at least a foot outside either shoulder). Unlike the Westside fools, who have enough sense to turn their toes out considerably to minimize any twisting stress on their knees, Woods had his toes pointed straight forward. He would then squat almost halfway down, to the point not even Westside dorks would defend the depth, and upon "lockout" would slowly pelvic thrust the air. We've all seen at least one chump overextend their lumbar spine at the top of the deadlift, but this is seriously the first time I've seen someone do that move on a squat.

I'd stop watching the WWE over this shit if I didn't stop watching 18 months ago over how shit the entire product was.

I also noticed Big E (note: former USAPL national champion and record holder and almost certainly the strongest man to ever set foot in this gym, possibly the entire town) chilling in the stretching area. I wonder what he was thinking seeing his buddy "squat" like that.

Much less importantly, the lifting I actually did went well.

Intensity Week 4: 4-21-2018
    Snatch:
    205 lbs 10x1
    Squat: 480 lbs 5x5
    Barbell Rows: 230 lbs 5x5
    Curls: 100 lbs 3x8

Tuesday was less interesting. No more minor celebrities making fools of themselves (and no almost stumbling into a beard and winding up in Narnia), just regular "people" making fools of themselves. Clean and jerks went much better than the last time I tried this, but I DID bungle the 10th jerk by having it "land" too far in front of me, and had to redo it.

Intensity Week: 4-22-2018
    Clean&Jerk:
    290 lbs 10x1
    Deadlifts: 455 lbs 3x3

I had thought that getting the half of a week update would mean that I would then be able to update the other half of the week. I don't even have a punchline for this anymore. I realize I'd rather be playing games from the mid 00s than typing words on the internet. But if I don't OCCASIONALLY do this, my dumb ass won't remember anything I did, how it went, and thus won't have a damn clue what to do next.

The snatches on Thursdays WERE a shitshow to start off, but after failing several attempts at 215 lbs, I stopped pulling from SO far in my heels, tried to feel like I was keeping my chest "over" the bar longer, and therefore was able to violently extend my hips to a great extent at the top of the pull and actually pulled it worth a shit. Doing this, I was able to get two in a row almost like I knew what I was doing.

Intensity Week: Thursday 4-26-2018
    Snatch:
    215 lbs 3x1
    Squat: 565 lbs 5x1
    Chin ups: 30 lbs added 3x5
    Bench Press: 280 lbs 3x3

These Saturday clean and jerks went really well. I'm much more confident I can do 315 lbs than I am about snatching 225 lbs.

Intensity Week 4: Saturday 4-28-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    300 lbs 3x1
    Push press: 230 lbs 5x3
    Deadlifts: 525 lbs 3x1
    Overhead Squat: 175 lbs 3x3

Snatches largely continued to be less shit than earlier in the previous week now that balance and sequence issues had been at least kind of resolved.

Volume Week 5: 4-30-2018
    Snatch:
    205 lbs 6x2
    Hang Snatch: 165 lbs 4x2 (can do heavier)
    Squats: 440 lbs 5x8 (never do heavier holy shit)
    Barbell Rows: 215 lbs 4x8

Volume Week 5: 5-1-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    290 lbs 10x1
    Standing press: 155 lbs 4x8
    Deadlifts: 435 lbs 3x5

Doing a fat load of fairly heavy/exhausting squats during volume week, aafter doing a slightly less fat load of even heavier squats during the heavy week, might have slightly diminished by ability to pull heavy snatches and cleans really fast and hard. I still GOT some heavy snatches and cleans (and jerks), but they felt significantly less good than before.

Volume Week 5: Thursday 5-3-2018
    Snatch:
    215 lbs 3x1
    Overhead squats: 185 lbs 3x3
    Paused Squats: 490 lbs 5x3
    Bench Press: 240 lbs 3x8
    Chin Ups: 3x10

Volume Week 5: Saturday 5-5-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    305 lbs 3x1
    Push Press: 235 lbs 5x3
    Squats: 405x8 455x5 495x3 565x1 405x8
    Deadlifts: 475 lbs 3x3

Now on to some really light/fast workouts that will hopefully have me nice and fresh to likely hurt myself on Thursday and Saturday.

God Damn this log is entertaining. Sad I hadn't found it earlier.

"Sexy Max Week" was all right. "Got" 225 lbs snatch (see below) and then miserably failed to clean 315 lbs. Actually doing them on the same day (especially considering it took a few attempts to get the snatch) might have had me less 100% fresh and ready for the clean and jerk. Oh well. Got me 585 lbs squat kind of easy, failed 600 lbs. Benched 300 rather easily, like I figured I would, failed 315 lbs (more on that below), deadlifted 535 lbs, which is progress over the last max (and the heaviest weight I've pulled since dropping nearly 30 lbs, though I've gained a few back), all at a bodyweight of 221 lbs.

Sexy Max Week: Monday 5-7-2018
    Power Snatch:
    175 lbs 4x2
    Hang Snatch: 165 lbs 2x2
    Speed Squats: 295 lbs (with bandz) 3x5
    Dips: 5x10
    Curls: 90 lbs 3x10

SMW: Tuesday 5-8-2018
    Power Cleans:
    245 lbs 4x2
    Hang Cleans: 245 lbs 2x2
    Bench Press: 225 lbs 3x5
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 3x8

Then the snatches and "cleans" on Thursday, and the powerlifts previously mentioned on Saturday.

The Snatch. Is that amount of elbow bend enough to disqualify the lift? Probably, but fuck it. Gym PR.

NOW is a recovery week of infinite jackoffery (R-WIJ). After that, I'll be doing some shit I've spent this week putting into a spreadsheet with the hot new goal of "super totaling" 2,000 lbs within a week. Lifetime, I've done this (225 + 305 + 601 + 324 + 555 = 2,010), but this was across a good year, and I was considerably fatter for all the power lifts.

Now, you might be asking "DR, do you have the requisite knowledge to put together a many weeks long program designed to improve and then peak five lifts simultaneously?"

Probably not, but I tried googling "Super Total Ascendant Race program," and, I shit you not, got results for some World of Warcraft arena mode tournament or something. Fuck WoW, it ruined MMOs for the entire fucking species. The point is, for this asinine and specific goal, particularly given my wacky assortment of strengths and weaknesses, I'm going to have to cobble together something rather specific to all of that.

Okay, dick-about "active recovery" actually slacking off week is done with, one to a sexy new program and lifting 5 days per week and updating mumblemumble days per week.

The schtick the first few weeks is going to be lots and lots of volume in the slow lifts, while keeping up some practice with the fast lifts at less than grueling weights. Immediate issues were encountered whence upon I tried to do 8x5 bench press. I THOUGHT I picked a weight well below what would be even moderately difficult for 5x5, thinking ahead that I would start to wear out in the later sets. How right I was. While I managed to get all the stated sets and reps, things quickly went deteriorated after the fifth set. I was HOPING to not grind a whole bunch of reps in the volume phase, but the last set was barely completed misery. Hopefully doing it once will yield some "conditioning" type benefits that will make doing it AGAIN in about a week a little less assbusting.

While the squats I laid out have been going much more smoothly, this all causes me some concern for the 8x5 I plan to do on Friday. Though I feel better about stamina in general with lifts that involve more, larger muscle groups, AND my squat has maintained strength post-powerlifting better than my bench press has anyway.

Monday 5-21-2018
    Snatches:
    180 lbs 5x3
    Squats: 410 lbs 5x8
    Bench Press: 240 lbs 8x5
    Curlz: 90 lbs 5x8

Doubles on the clean and jerk were wearying, and possibly really stupid, but squats still went along pretty well after it anyway. This is really most of the truly exhausting stuff for this week, Friday will be busy, but Wednesday and Thursday will be a bit less on the heavy barbell stuff, hopefully allowing some net recovery.

Tuesday 5-22-2018
    Clean and Jerks:
    260 lbs 5x2
    Squats: 440 lbs 5x5
    Standing Press: 155 lbs 4x6
    Deadlift: 410 lbs 3x5

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    Is that amount of elbow bend enough to disqualify the lift?
    IMHO, from that point of view, it doesn't look worse than Lasha's wobbly during his 220Kg WR.
    A frontal view might have given a different impression.

IPB

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast