starting strength gym
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: DirtyRed Attempts Legitimacy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    IMHO, from that point of view, it doesn't look worse than Lasha's wobbly during his 220Kg WR.
    A frontal view might have given a different impression.

IPB

Well, at least I'm obviously as good as whoever this Lasha girl is. This will only be terribly important if I ever bother to do a competition anyway.

Wednesday was a good day of doing peripheral crap at tolerable weights. Could probably add weight to the hang cleans with no issue.

Wednesday 5-23-2018
    Hang Cleans:
    245 lbs 5x2
    Front Squats: 275 lbs 3x5
    Seated DB Press: 4x8 55 lbs DBs
    Chin Ups: 5x8

Thursday was also well gauged.

Thursday 5-24-2018
    Snatch:
    200 lbs 5x2
    Overhead Squats: 175 lbs 3x3
    Deadlifts: 460 lbs 5x3
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 5 lbs added 5x8

Revisiting the nigh forgotten theme of Dipshit Among Us, on Friday I saw one guy furiously halfrepping bicep curls. I'm not sure why he only ever lowered his forearms to parallel, but it didn't seem to have gotten him swole biceps yet.

Friday 5-25-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    275 lbs 7x1
    Squats: 440 lbs 8x5
    Bench Press: 225 lbs 5x8
    Curls: 90 lbs 5x8

This week was pretty squat heavy. Next week will have a considerably more deadlifting, with less squatting, but still plenty of squatting.

God damn it, I hate holidays. There are two types of holidays. Ones where I don't get the day off anyway, and the gym closes at buttfucking 1 PM, and ones where I DO get the day off, and the gym is closed, leaving me with nothing to do on my goddamn day off. Memorial Day was the former. Which means that the usually horde of idiots that typically have the decency to space their existence out across the entire Monday all crammed into the gym within about four hours of each other.

I don't know how I managed to get the shit I planned to get done finished. Especially after I waited 20 minutes for the girl using the platform for hip thrusts to GTFO so I could get started. Really, if the hip thrusts weren't clearly effective and building Dat Ass, it would have been a Field of Honoring.

On the plus side, I killed the snatches and will add another 5 lbs to them next Monday.

Monday 5-28-2018
    Snatches:
    185 lbs 5x3
    Bench Press: 250 lbs 5x5
    Deadlifts: 435 lbs 3x5
    Dips: 5x10

Tuesday continued the cavalcade of bullshit, but this time it had nothing to do with the regular dunces (there WAS a guy furiously half repping curls for whatever reason, but he never actually got in the way of anything important [Side Note: Important = DirtyRed]). Immediately as I tried to tighten the laces to my weightlifting shoes, the goddamn cheap ass lace snapped. So, I drove a few blocks down to Dicks to get another lace, as my preworkout was being digested in traffic. Tearing the lace, driving to Dick's, getting a new lace, stopping a moment to look extra shabby in my gym close while eyeballing one of the putters in the golf section like I had never seen a golf club before in my life before making a put from across their 15x15 felt practice green, leaving the working golf manager wondering if he had just seen a magical golfing hobo, driving back, and installing the new lace, took more than thirty minutes. The GOAL of 5 days a week was to not be in the gym until midnight.

Tuesday 5-29-2018
    Clean and Jerks:
    265 lbs 6x2
    Squats: 410 lbs 5x8
    Push Press: 225 lbs 5x3
    Curls: 90 lbs 5x10

The attentive reader might notice I'm doing quite a bit of deadlifting, and a bit less squatting this weeks. For at least four weeks, possibly six (we'll see if I have any remaining will to live after week 4), the focus of the volume is going to alternate between squats and deadlifts on a week to week basis. While the out of focus lift gets at least two decent days of lifting in. My grip was rapidly weakening and my hangs stung like shit by the end of these deadlifts. More deadlift volume will certainly help my grip strength for max deadlifts, provided I don't gruesomely injure myself.

I should probably add a set or two to the close grip bench press.

Wednesday 5-30-2018
    Deadlifts:
    465 lbs 8x3
    Close Grip Bench: 205 lbs 3x8
    Front Squats: 285 lbs 3x5
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 10 lbs 5x8

This fat load of deadlifts is getting hard on the hands. Though otherwise these triples were about where I wanted them in terms of difficulty.

Wednesday 5-30-2018
    Deadlifts:
    465 lbs 8x3
    Close Grip Bench: 205 lbs 3x8
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 5 lbs added 5x10

I had to wake up much earlier than normal on Thursday, which lead to getting about four hours of sleep, which lead to everything being S L O W in the gym. The snatches were the only thing to really suffer from it though, and I still got them done, only uglier than I would have liked.

Thursday 3-31-2018
    Snatches:
    205 lbs 5x2
    Overhead Squats: 175 lbs 3x3
    Squats: 475 lbs 8x3

We might have a new record holder for Highest Squats. As some CWC-built twit was "squatting" 185 lbs literally less than a foot down, and STILL managed to have his knees cave. DirtyRed, in his infinite magnanimity, TRIES not to Judge fat weaklings at the gym, instead preferring to judge fat weaklings who aren't at the gym. But when one displays such a complete lack of even basic knowledge about the matter at hand, it's impossible not to. This is like the guy that shows up at a rugby practice and immediately throws a pass downfield.

You couldn't even be bothered to glance at a Wikipedia article on the subject before wasting time on it?

Friday 6-1-2018
    Clean&Jerk:
    280 lbs 7x1
    Hang Snatches: 175 lbs 6x2
    Bench Press: 265 lbs 8x3
    Deadlifts: 425 lbs 4x6

Oh my, is it time to be a week late on an update already?

These bench press sets were a lot easier than the previous run through them. Progress! Maybe. At least it's not obviously getting worse.

I also have a mosquito bite directly upon my shin about a half an inch above where the barbell starts, and every pull SLIGHTLY grazes it and makes it itch like a motherfucker. No one has suffered like DirtyRed, this he knows.

Monday 6-4-2018
    Snatch:
    190 lbs 5x3
    Squats: 415 lbs 5x8
    Bench Press: 240 lbs 8x5
    Curlz: 90 lbs 5x10

Clean and Jerk doubles continue to be considerably more exhausting than snatch triples. Probably because I'm doing about six goddamn things (Pull + front squat + jerk + pull + front squat + jerk) every double. I forgot what the purpose of this was, but if it was a good idea when I had it (and if I had it, it was SURELY a good idea), it's a good idea now. I'm still not truly struggling to get any reps, regardless.

Tuesday 6-5-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    265 lbs 7x2
    Squats: 445 lbs 5x5
    Standing Press: 4x6 155 lbs
    Deadlifts: 415 lbs 3x5

Wednesday 6-6-2018
    Hang Cleans:
    255 lbs 5x2
    Seated DB Press: 60 lbs 4x8

Thursday featured some dumbass using the deadlift bar with Deadlift Only hotglued to the goddamn collars for rack pulls. DR doesn't use deadlift bars, because he's not a gimmick-lifting peasant, but this is a perfect example of why DR can't have nice things. There are complete morons wandering the earth and it is still inexplicably illegal to challenge them to a duel or, better yet, beat them about the head with the deadlift bar.

Less interestingly, lifting went well.

Thursday 6-7-2018
    Snatches:
    205 lbs 5x2
    Overhead Squats: 185 lbs 3x3
    Deadlifts: 465 lbs 5x3
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 5 lbs added 5x10

Friday 6-9-2018
    C&J:
    280 lbs 7x1
    Squats: 445 lbs 8x5
    Bench Press: 225 lbs 5x8
    Curlz: 90 lbs 5x10

Jabronis plague me
    Copious profanity
    Updated weekly

A haiku by DR.

Another week of a fat load of deadlifts. I continue to do these snatches more easily than I expected.

Monday 6-11-2018
    Snatches:
    195 lbs 5x3
    Bench Press: 255 lbs 5x5
    Deadlifts: 440 lbs 3x5
    Dips: 5x10

Tuesday 6-12-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    265 lbs 6x2
    Squats: 415 lbs 5x8
    Push Press: 230 lbs 5x3

I was hoping my hands would quickly adjust to these volume deadlifts. As usual, I am disappointed. My left hand in particular (don't know why it's always the fucking left hand) is beginning to look like someone left a cow's butthole out in the sun for a month. Not helping matters was some fool (hint: Me) loading 480 lbs onto the bar instead of 470 lbs.

I graduated with a degree in accounting. That happened, and you all let it happen. For shame.

Wednesday 6-13-2018
    Deadlifts:
    470 lbs 8x3
    Close Grip Bench: 215 lbs 3x8
    Front Squats: 295 lbs 3x5
    Roman Chair Sit Ups: 5 lbs 5x10

Thursday, I think a man managed to set the record for Most Rounded Spine while deadlifting. He managed this feet by being 7 feet tall (that might not be an exaggeration, he was a good foot taller than DR of The AVERAGE AND ACCEPTABLE Height), and deadlifting 275 lbs for a few reps with the bar three inches in front of his shins.

Thursday 6-14-2018
    Snatches:
    205 lbs 5x2
    Squats: 480 lbs 8x3

I'm not sure what i did to my left index finger on Friday. I might have stress something in the knuckle, or a small nick on the inside of the knuckle could have gotten slightly infected from constantly glomping public barbells, but the end result is that it was swollen and ached to close on Saturday. The the point I couldn't REALLY clench a fist with that finger. Part of it was certainly the callus had gotten stiff to the point that it was folding and hurting, which some Neosporin helped soften. But the knuckle was also noticeable swollen. Whatever it was, it was much better Sunday, only KIND OF sore to close tight, but with no apparently loss of tightness in my grip. So maybe it'll be back at 100% on Monday.

Sets of 6 with deadlifts might not be my brightest idea.

Friday 6-15-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    285 lbs 7x1
    Hang Snatches: 175 lbs 6x2
    Bench Press: 270 lbs 8x3
    Deadlifts: 425 lbs 4x6

On Monday, the old lady "trainer" that's usually in there babysitting grown adults told me I looked like Alexander Ovechkin. I know I'm ugly, but that was uncalled for.

Monday 6-18-2018
    Snatch:
    200 lbs 8x2
    Squats: 465 lbs 5x5
    Bench Press: 260 lbs 5x5
    Curls: 95 lbs 5x10

Tuesday 6-19-2018
    Clean and Jerks:
    280 lbs 10x1
    Hang Cleans: 260 lbs 4x2
    Push Press: 235 lbs 5x3
    Deadlifts: 415 lbs 3x5

I have been killing snatch and snatch related stuff lately. At least when I pull them well. One of the hang snatches (by which I mean I basically snatch grip deadlift it, "come set" at the top of that, then lower the bar to just above knee height and then hurk it overhead) got botched up when my weight got WAY too far forward in the hang position.

Wednesday 6-20-2018
    Hang Snatch:
    185 lbs 6x2
    Front Squats: 315 lbs 5x3
    Bench Press: 260 lbs 3x5

I had hoped that updating in the middle of the week would mean it wouldn't take another goddamn week before updating.

The 215 lbs snatches took some getting used to. These were the first snatch is weeks that felt quasi-heavy to pull, and required that I really GTFunder them. I feel kind of silly adding 5 lbs to dips, but they needed to be a LITTLE less easy, and over sets of 10, 5 lbs did a decent job of that.

Thursday 6-21-2018
    Snatches:
    215 lbs 6x1
    Dips: 5x10 5 lbs added
    Deadlifts: 465 lbs 5x3

Friday 6-22-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    290 lbs 5x1
    Squats: 485 lbs 8x3
    Bench Press: 275 lbs 8x3
    Curls: 95 lbs 5x8

Monday 6-25-2018
    Snatch:
    205 lbs 8x2
    Bench Press: 260 lbs 5x5
    Deadlifts: 435 lbs 6x4
    Dips: 5x10 10 lbs added

Tuesday 6-26-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    285 lbs 10x1
    Hang Clean: 260 lbs 4x2
    Squats: 445 lbs 5x5

I now have some fucking split it my skin on my left middle finger. I HAD taped it up, but this is the finger that covers the thumb for my hook grip on snatches. It became apparent quite quickly that it wasn't going to work with the tape in the way. Actually gripping the bar for snatches with the split wasn't an issue, if anything the bar may have pressed it shut while gripping, but rubbing chalk directly on it was unpleasant. It then interfered with deadlifts, partly because my gym's bars are not the sort of thing that are idea when trying to hold onto the heaviest weight possible. All 29 mm (or fucking fatter), mild knurling, and fucking chrome. When the bar begins to move slightly in my hand, it starts making small wounds bigger. I managed to DO the deadlifts, but they weren't pleasant.

Wednesday 6-27-2018
    Hang Snatches:
    190 lbs 6x2
    Front Squats: 315 lbs 5x3 (These went really well)
    Bench press: 265 lbs 3x5
    Deadlifts: 475 lbs 5x3

Thursday 6-28-2018
    Snatches:
    215 lbs 6x1 Better than last week.
    Overhead Squats: 190 lbs 3x3
    Squats: 485 lbs 8x3

I slightly adjusted my grip on deadlifts and it helped significantly. I had apparently been "binding on" (for lack of a better term that also lets me remind you that I'm super cool because I once played rugby) with the bar too "low" (towards the end of my fingers) in my left hand. I moved the bar "up" in my left hand such that the bottom of the bar was right along the crease at the base of the fingers (instead of the goddamn middle of the bar being there), which more matched my supinated right hand, and the bar actually stayed put for the goddamn pulls. The hook grips for snatches and cleans might have caused me to absent-mindedly fuck up the non-hooked deadlift grip with the "overhand" hand.

Friday 6-29-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    295 lbs 5x1
    Bench Press: 280 lbs 8x3
    Deadlifts: 6x2 495 lbs

Arrive to the gym on Monday, a family pulled into the parking spot next to me, and clambered out of the car in entirely Neymar jerseys. I changed my mind. Trump is right, #BuildTheWall. Then throw these "people" over it.

It's not that they were wearing soccer jerseys. It's not even that they were Brazilian soccer jerseys. It's that they were Neymar jerseys. And partly that they were driving a Prius.

Later, there was a guy on an upturned BOSU ball bumping a medicine ball sideways against the wall. He was probably a native American citizen, but deport him while you're at it.

Monday 7-2-2018
    Snatches:
    210 lbs 10x1
    Hang Snatches: 190 lbs 4x2
    Squats: 495 lbs 8x3
    Bench Press: 8x3 285 lbs
    Curls: 5x8 95 lbs

I'm beginning to think hang cleans are a bad idea. At least the way I have to do them, where I deadlift the goddamn bar, lower it to the hang position, and then clean in. Last week, this caused my right knee to ache like a motherfucker. This week, same fucking thing. It seems the back and forth with this kind of weight and knee angle (as opposed to a more flexed knee angle with less weight in the hang position of snatches) REALLY aggravates the quadriceps/patella tendon. Which also ached through all the goddamn front squats.

I am done with hang cleans. At least until such a time as I have available to me those platform things that will allow me to have the bar at a dead rest above/at/below knee height. Every time I think to do hang cleans, I'll do power cleans instead.

Tuesday 7-3-2018
    Clean and Jerk:
    290 lbs 5x1
    Hang Cleans: 260 lbs 1 rep and then I gave up
    Front Squats: 325 lbs 3x3
    Deadlift: 475 lbs 5x3

Wednesday was the 4th of July. Which means two things. The gym closes at 1 PM, and people who only work out the four fucking days per year the gym closes at 1 PM were all there. Though I was able to get the equipment for what I needed to do, largely due to not having to use a goddamn platform for once.

Also, it was hotter and more humid than Lucifer's taint. I was literally dripping sweat just from warming up squats with LMAO2PLAIT. One of the gym employees told me some lady complained that the sauna wasn't on.

Bitch, the sauna is on. It's just impossible to tell the difference at this point.

I also found this sort of thing on the chin up bar in the back. I figured someone wanted to do close hammer grip chin ups for whatever reason. As I walked to put it back, it occurred to me that one's head would contact the bar doing that, unless one moved it to the side. So, sadly, I probably missed out on seeing someone do that, while dipping their head to alternate sides every rep.

Wednesday 7-4-2018
    Speed Squats:
    295 lbs with bands 4x8
    Speed Bench: 175 lbs 4x8
    Seated DB Press: 65 lbs 4x6
    Dumbbell Row: 70 lbs 4x8
    Last edited by DirtyRed; 07-06-2018 at 08:52 PM.

I'm not saying this is the best log ever. But it is.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Andersen View Post
    I'm not saying this is the best log ever. But it is.
    +1

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast