starting strength gym
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DirtyRed Attempts Legitimacy

Default DirtyRed Attempts Legitimacy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Saturday I was in some meet at the local Rec Center and it was fun and it took NINE GODDAMN HOURS and depth was more of a recommendation than anything but I'm 99% sure I hit it for real when I hit 585 lbs on the squat. I figure I may as well give a more legit competition a whirl, so I'm going to try do a USAPL meet in the spring. More on that in a minute.

In Saturday's meet, I got 585/315/525, and failed 600/325/540. 600 and 540 were really close (and 540 may have been affected by being there for NINE GODDAMN HOURS), 325 was not, though the 315 I hit wasn't that hard. I might have just overloaded by 2nd attempts because I wasn't 100% on the third attempts and I didn't want to end up with something garbage (or more garbage than LMAO3PLAYT at 235 lbs) and ended up too worn out for the 3rd attempts. Good information to have moving forward.

I'm leaning towards a meet in Columbus on April 1st, which would give me time to do two 8 week training cycles. Or I could go to a Chicago meet on March 19th as well, which could be one longer training cycle. Open to any suggestion on this because I'm unsure.

Regardless, there is a list of things I have to get done:
    - Get a belt that is on the IPF Accepted Bribes list because my PERFECTLY ADEQUATE Rogue Belt is not on it because Rogue has better things to do than waste money on penny ante bullshit in a niche sport (like milk CrossFit while that still makes money, and sell those Ninja Mask things to idiots)
    - Get a singlet that is on that same list
    - Figure out what the fuck is up with logos, because all of my t-shirts have something like WKU RUGBY on them and all of the singlets I've looked up, that are ostensibly on that accepted list, have a logo on them.
    - Gain a good ten lbs
    - Cut back down to 230 lbs or less for that weight class
    - Get stronger
    - Actually sign up for one of the meets
    - Figure out if the knee high socks I wore for Rugby are high enough to be legal for the deadlift
    - Figure out if my socks have to be on that fucking list

In the meantime, I'll be on a program that is very much like the Texas Method for Powerlifting program in PPST3rdEd, except with power cleans instead of good mornings, because good mornings are the drizzling shits, especially when you're all torso. I'll be logging all the workouts here as a Christmas gift/punishment for you all. Provided I can remember to do so every time.

You're welcome.

Current stats:
    Weight: 235 lbs
    Squat: 585 lbs
    Bench: 315 lbs
    Deadlift: 525 lbs
    Last edited by DirtyRed; 12-12-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Vids or it didn't happen ... Nice squat.

In. This should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Vids or it didn't happen
    ^ This.
    Meets always seem to last all day, that's why I stopped doing them.

Solid squat.

Dude. This is gonna be good.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    because good mornings are the drizzling shits, especially when you're all torso.
    Agreed, and I'm only like 5% torso. I can't even imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    Current stats:
    Weight: 235 lbs
    Nahce

In all seriousness, solid showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Vids or it didn't happen ... Nice squat.
    My dumb ass forgot to get someone to record the 585 attempt, so here's me failing 600 lbs. Yay.

Apologies for the Nickelback. They WERE playing some of the new Metallica, but then that happened. Upon reflection, that's why I missed it. Surely.

I about got it. Notice my chest KIND of raised up right after getting out of the hole, which ground the lift to a halt. It's a pesky habit developed from years of squatting three feet from a goddamn mirror. Otherwise, the squat looked pretty good until I failed it. I may have even managed to get it if I just made it my second attempt 600 lbs and not spent energy squatting 585 lbs. Should be able to get it at the end of this first training cycle, provided there is no injury.

Speaking of which, off to a great start, first workout involved some knee pain while squatting. Right at the top of the left kneecap, but I'm 99% sure it's the quadriceps tendon, because actually touching it causes no pain. It HAD been aching some before the meet when catching power cleans. This was the first time it ached on the squat. And for some reason only on the 2nd and 3rd sets. I might have avoided it by making sure to COMPLETELY shove my knees out and actually stop at depth instead of maybe losing a wee bit of back tightness and letting the knees cave to get another inch into the hole.

Either way, I audibled power cleans out and did speed deadlifts for 3x3 at 285 lbs. May have been too light as they were really easy, but better to start light. It might be better to just stick with that, as that's 40 lbs more than I was doing power cleans for before the meet.

Also, I'm looking into getting some APPROVED knee sleeves to take some burden off the knees (not TRURAW, but what can you do), at least on the intensity squats, which is a pain in the ass. Does anyone know for sure if literally any Eleiko knee sleeve is acceptable? There seems to be a superfluous seam on the side, and they apparently frown on that. Though the Approved List just says "Eleiko Knee sleeves." Also, apparently it's $47.00 for a pair of Eleiko knee sleeves, while it's 30 Euros for ONE Rehband knee sleeve. Who the fuck sells individual knee sleeves?

Regardless, everything got done, and done as such:

Squats: 5x5 435 lbs
    Bench (Paused): 5x5 235 lbs (The volume bench, I pause until it gets too heavy to no longer do so, just cuz)
    Speed Deadlifts: 3x3 285 lbs (Maybe too light, but fuck it, it'll get heavier and I'll have a better idea of where to start for the next training cycle)
    Last edited by DirtyRed; 12-12-2016 at 11:26 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    The only IPF approved sleeves worth getting are SBD, Titan, and STrong.

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast