starting strength gym
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: DirtyRed Attempts Legitimacy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You look significantly less cantankerous than I imagined.

I realized I forgot to update this on Monday.

Weeny volume day in preparation for some training max testing to set the stage for one more 8ish week cycle before the April Fool's meet. Knee sleeves still appear to be holding up, to the great relief of the entire Swedish race.

"Volume" Day 7
    Squats:
    3x5 425 lbs
    Bench (paused): 3x5 225 lbs
    Speed Deadlifts: 3x3 315 lbs

Strong. Real fucking strong.

So what's the story with that gal next to you?

It occurs to DirtyRed that he forgot to update this after that last Light Day. It also occurs to DirtyRed that he doesn't really care, he did a set of 5 squats at 315 lbs, two sets of 5 of standing press at 165 lbs, and two sets of chin ups. Nothing important happened.

Also, I got called into work on Friday and had to push the "mock meet" or whatever to today. Which really wasn't an issue or anything, just another day of rest, and one fewer day of rest before Monday shit.

DirtyRed got a 600 lbs squat, nearly killed himself walking it 500 miles back out of the sloped rack and then 500 more back into the rack, where a wobble pretty much dumped the bar off his back. Fortunately the bar was directly over the hooks when that happened, and tragedy was averted. Also got a REALLY sloppy, probably competition redlights 315 lbs on the bench, and failed to PR deadlifts. Didn't get a video of any successful deadlift because I was thinking SURELY I'd beat 525 lbs and didn't need to record THAT.

Video of the squat and bench press to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    That was a nice squat. The rack is a piece of shit though.
    It's probably older than me.

It might actually be older than Hurling. It could have been Alexander the Great's squat rack.

The only issue I have with the fucking this is that, due to the slope of the uprights, I have to walk inordinately far with a loaded bar on my back. You can see a sliver of the rack next to the one I'm using in the bottom left corner of that video. THAT one is a true piece of shit. The uprights are so goddamn wide that the risk of hitting one with the plates when you walk it back in is real. I have done so with over 400 lbs on my back and pulled something doing it. The fucking safeties on that thing are even WIDER than the fucking uprights, making them almost entirely useless.

There is also a rack-and-platform-in-one thing, the platform of which I often use for deadlifts, but the surface of it, especially inside the cage, is bowed such that it gives slightly when you walk on it. Subpar. But that WOULD be the backup rack if for some reason I didn't use the one I usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Strong. Real fucking strong.

So what's the story with that gal next to you?
    I think she's an amateur bikini or physique competitor or something. She's frequently in there following some quasi-bodybuilder type dude around to every dipshit machine and bench in the gym, doing bodybuilding bullshit, accomplishing nothing.

No great loss, as there is one Asian woman with Dat Ass and another one with Dat Ass and some tig ole bitties. Like, to the point I suspect artificial enhancement. There used to be another girl who would use the rack on the rack-n-platform thing while I was doing Olympic lifts on the platform. Don't know where she went. Probably lost the will to live after realizing she'd never be as fucking awesome and strong and attractive as DirtyRed.

Sad.

That bench press obviously wobbled. Need to do better in the meet.

The goals for this next training cycle are to FUCKING IMPROVE BENCH, and improve deadlift. I want to hit a 1450 lbs total at 105 kgs. I was about 8 lbs heavier than that today.

Nice squatz.

The relative difficulty of weights I should easily hit give me cause to think I can't recover like a novice anymore. Everything got done, but I think being 48 hours removed from testing maxes (one of which wasn't crap) had my metaphorical tank a bit closer to half than full.

Also, I want New Year's to be over. When I showed up at 3:30, I was maybe the 12th guy in the gym. By 4:30, I had been in scrums that were less crowded. Since TOD appears to have wandered on to tardier pastures, I might have to start awarding Dipshit of the Week every Friday in his honor. And good fucking god there were some contenders. Particularly the Dipshit that was quarter squatting 135 lbs in such a manner I feel his GOAL was to cave his knees in as far as possible. On the way down, almost a full third of a rep, his knees were within 6 inches of each other. Fellow contender is his fool friend that would take 185 lbs, put in on his back, squat it all the way down such that his heels would come two inches off the ground, then went up, then went halfway down and halfway up from there and kind of oscillated between the two for 5 "reps."

Where the fuck do people get this shit?

Whatever the opposite of the Dipshit of the Week is preemptively goes to the aforementioned Asian with Dat Ass who was squatting in yoga pants. Even if it was in the fucking MAX Rack.

Second Cycle
    Volume Day 1
    Squats:
    5x5 440 lbs
    Bench (paused): 5x5 240 lbs
    Speed Deadlifts: 3x3 315 lbs

Have you been keeping an eye on the recent TM bashing?
    Personally, I wish Rip would stop doing that, since I like Texas Method. I do understand why, though, since so many people assume that's just what you're supposed to once you're done with the Novice LP, regardless of circumstances.

Have you been keeping an eye on the recent TM bashing? You're one of the dudes who could probably have a much stronger bench and pull with some alternate programming.
    I argue on the 4chinz for Texas Method over Sheiko bullshit memery.

Though some different bench press programing would probably help. Still, I think this is 90% weirdo proportions. I have factually long arms, as measured by golf geniuses who are 75.9825% more anal retentive than anyone in competitive barbell hoisting. My bench press will NEVER be GOOD. I'd just like it to suck a bit less. For the purposes of powerlifting at least, some of it might also be a relatively ordinary arch, due to years of golf and rugby fusing my spine into one rigid segment. I can't do that 4'2'' Chinese Girl bullshit where I take a snatch grip (partly due to the objectively stupid grip width rules on the bench press), touch my shoulder blades to my pelvis, and bench "press" all of 1.5 inches.

You would THINK long arms would help deadlifts, but I believe that's offset by a relatively long torso for my height, accompanied by really short femurs. So I'm a naturally squatter, which makes me more inclined to push squats really hard, which makes me an even better squatter. Deadlift gainz are mostly incidental. I doubt 12 deadlifts, only 3 particularly heavy, per week do a lot to develop general strength as much as they "practice" deadlifting. I also refuse to sumo deadlift, on the grounds that I do not eat butt. And I've been conventionally deadlifting for strength training in order to carry over to golf and other shit for so long that transitioning to sumo might actually require HRT.

Plus, as far as training deadlifts go, my gym doesn't have super good bars for it. All of the straight, sub-30-mm bars have rather gentle knurling and most have some chrome finish. They don't stick to the hand very well. The bar in the rec center competition was much rougher. If the bar at the Ohio meet is a bit sharper, I could see myself performing a tick above what my training lifts might suggest. Provided I haven't passed out by the time the third fucking deadlift rolls around. Or OD'ed on preworkout.

So, you see, I have a whole host of excuses for my inadequacy that are not my fault at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Personally, I wish Rip would stop doing that, since I like Texas Method. I do understand why, though, since so many people assume that's just what you're supposed to once you're done with the Novice LP, regardless of circumstances.
    Rip is bashing Texas Method?
    Last edited by DirtyRed; 02-01-2017 at 03:23 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    Rip is bashing Texas Method?
    Bashing probably isn't the right word, since he still recommends it for the correct demographic. He's just making it very clear that most people are not in said demographic. I think it may scare off some people who would otherwise make good progress with it. Just my opinion though, and he's got a lot more experience behind his own opinion.

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast