starting strength gym
Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: DirtyRed Attempts Legitimacy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    How Crossfit-y was he? It could've been a sumo deadlift high pull, also known as the worst movement in all of "exercise"
    He didn't seem that CrossFitty. He wasn't shirtless, absurdly brightly colored, and he didn't have a buddy with him to loudly talk about metcon-paleo-varied-pillars and the like. He also wasn't in a sumo stance. I would have DEFINITELY mentioned if he added a sumo stance (also known as the worst stance in all of barbells) to the dumbass salad.

Not much of note happened on Light Day, except that chin ups were a clusterfuck like I expected. And I may have overdone it a bit with the curls on Tuesday. My biceps at the elbow were complaining. Though as I type this, any discomfort has gone away, so I'm going to goddamn ignore it like usual.

Light Day 5.5
    Squats:
    2x5 315 lbs
    Standing Press: 3x5 185 lbs
    Chin Ups: 3x"8"
    Close Grip Bench: 3x8 215 lbs

Besides squats, Intensity Day went well. I'll be doing one more full week before I back off ahead of the meet.

Intensity Day 5.5
    Squats:
    3x1 585 lbs
    Bench (paused): 5x1 305 lbs
    Deadlift: 3x1 545 lbs

OH MY FUCKING GOD

I didn't forget Volume Day, I just made a conscious decision to not give a fuck about updating because I didn't have the goddamn energy. And there's still one more VD to go. I regret everything. Including getting to the gym right at 5 PM (peak idiot hour), and thus walking in on a menagerie of nonsense. One guy was doing curl complexes with 55-75 lbs in the squat rack, there was a trio of high schoolers admiring their ribs in the mirror in between sets of 20 lbs dumbbell bench press, one lady doing unilateral ankle extensions on the leg press machine, and someone half repping EVERY ANGLE of barbell bench available.

Light Day was better, as there was a girl with a phat ass doing goodmornings with 10 added lbs in the MAXRACK. Terrible training, but that's okay. That's just 100% okay.

Volume Day 5.6 (kill me)
    Squats:
    5x5 495 lbs
    Bench Press: 4x5 paused, 1x5 Touch'n'Go 270 lbs
    Deadlifts: 5x3 455 lbs
    Dips: 5x8 10 lbs added
    Curls: 4x10 85 lbs

Light Day 5.6
    Squats:
    2x5 315 lbs
    Chin Ups: 3x8

I'm weighed in at 236 lbs with shoes on, which means I've lost a good five lbs, which has helped with chin ups more than I would have thought. They're actually chin ups now, instead of Chin Ups 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    I'm weighed in at 236 lbs with shoes on, which means I've lost a good five lbs, which has helped with chin ups more than I would have thought. They're actually chin ups now, instead of Chin Ups 3.0
    That cracked me up!

This is totally an on time Intensity Day update. Shut up.

A bit of a mixed bag. I failed the fifth squat which is irritating considering I had done 585 lbs for five singles before. This makes me worry about my ability to actually PR squats at the meet. Bench press went about as well as I expected going in. I only got three reps, which I'm 99% certain is better than I've done with 310 lbs before, so I'm feeling confident in a PR at the meet. Deadlifts continue to show no signs of stopping, as I got all 3 with what was only 5 lbs less than my previous best deadlift, so I might try something silly with my third deadlift at the meet, depending on how the second attempt goes.

Also, there was a female of above average attractiveness doing Crane Squats in the MAXrack. Crane Squats being a DR Original Name, as I have no idea what you actually call a one legged quarter-squat where you hold your non-"lifting" leg in front of you in a flexed position, like that of a flamingo or the goddamn Karate Kid mid Crane Kick.

Intensity Day 5.6
    Squats:
    4x1 585 lbs
    Bench (Paused): 3x1 310 lbs
    Deadlifts: 3x1 550 lbs

Okay, so I slept until 4 PM on Monday because I thought I had Monday and Tuesday off, and it was either that or go outside and interact with other people. THEN I get a call before I leave for the gym at 8 PM that the homosexual at work (not judging, stating facts) got his idiot car repossessed (kind of judging) and I was the only devilishly charming man available to work his Tuesday day shift. So, well after I could do anything about being in the gym until 2 AM, I find out I had to wake up at 8:30 AM. That sort of bullshit is why I haven't updated in a week.

Volume Day got done, more or less. Bench press faltered, partly because my QUADRICEPS of all things kept cramping, possibly because squatting 500 lbs for 5 sets of 5 reps was an incredibly stupid/handsome thing to do, and it wanted me to know that. Those squats actually went a bit better than I was expecting, in that they actually all went. Deadlifts felt REALLY grindy for what were supposed to be only moderately taxing volume reps, possibly because of the goddamn squats.

Light Day was Light Day.

My dumb ass forgot to actually bring my water bottle full of preworkout INTO THE CAR with me for "Intensity" Day, so that's in the fridge until Monday. I HOPE that's the reason everything felt a bit harder than I was expecting it too, particularly squats. 565 lbs shouldn't be such a pain. Bench wasn't nearly as bad, and deadlift felt solid. These weights are intended as openers in the meet.

The only Wacky Gym Shit I can remember is a dude I've probably previously mentioned, doing asinine crap while hollering, grunting, squeaking, PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS-ing, groaning, and, at one point, apparently powering up. Another guy and I were discussion how he had a different silly noise to make for every fucking thing he did. That's some programming right there.

Volume Day 5.7
    Squats:
    5x5 500 lbs
    Bench: 1x5 paused, 2x5 2x4 touch'n'go 275 lbs
    Deadlifts: 5x3 450 lbs
    Dips: 5x8 10 lbs added
    Curls: 4x10 85 lbs

Light Day 5.7
    Squats:
    2x5 315 lbs
    Chin Ups: 3x8

Back Off Intensity Day:
    Squats:
    Single rep with 565 lbs
    Bench (paused): Single rep with 300 lbs
    Deadlift: Single rep with 515 lbs

Also, there was a female of above average attractiveness doing Crane Squats in the MAXrack. Crane Squats being a DR Original Name, as I have no idea what you actually call a one legged quarter-squat where you hold your non-"lifting" leg in front of you in a flexed position
    So, like a weird pistol squat? Am I envisioning this correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    So, like a weird pistol squat? Am I envisioning this correctly?
    Pretty much. Instead of holding the off-the-ground leg pretty straight in front of her, she had it flexed 90 degrees. And with her hands up and behind her head on the bar, it looked vaguely like a Crane Kick

Weeny Volume Day was pretty standard. Except for the one guy doing the middle third of a Low Bar squat with excellent form. He didn't hit depth OR lockout, but that middle third was fuggen TEXTBOOK.

Everything felt really rock solid. Which it should, since this is basically active recovery.

Weeny Volume Day 5
    Squats:
    3x5 405 lbs
    Bench (paused): 3x5 225 lbs
    Deadlifts: 3x3 405 lbs

You might be asking what the high level programming method lead to using those weights. Well, they were a nice, even number of 45 lbs plates without being insultingly easy or the least bit hard.

Complicated, I know.

starting strength coach development program
    You might be asking what the high level programming method lead to using those weights. Well, they were a nice, even number of 45 lbs plates without being insultingly easy or the least bit hard.

Complicated, I know.
    Muh optimal.

By the way, nice bullshit calling down in Shuggy Bear's latest political virtue signalling post in E&P.

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast