Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahendra's log of GainzZz

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I love your attitude in all of this.

This...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    She then randomly said, "What about you fiends who you knew before this lifestyle? Are you guys still friends? I'm finding that the healthier I make my lifestyle, the less old friends I have".
    ...is funny. Almost none of this is inherent in a "lifestyle change" - it's people trying to convert everyone they know to their new "lifestyle". Crusaders lose friends.

I also think if one's lifestyle is defined by one's eating and exercise habits that's kind of sad.

Mirin cardio

Mirin dragon flags

Mirin positivity

You forgot about MY unsolicited advice about belts.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    I love your attitude in all of this.

This...

...is funny. Almost none of this is inherent in a "lifestyle change" - it's people trying to convert everyone they know to their new "lifestyle". Crusaders lose friends.

I also think if one's lifestyle is defined by one's eating and exercise habits that's kind of sad.
    Thanks dude. And I completely agree with you.

Heh... Instagram is a perfect place to showcase how a lot of people's lives are defined by eating & exercise habits. But, I guess there are worst things for people to have their time occupied with. I think the trouble is when you get instances of the blind leading the blind, and people start selling their "exercise and diet templates" when they have NO real coaching experience.

People seemed to have thought that I was on a special or magical diet. I just say, "nope, I just ate less food... it's really that simple." And they sort of look at me like I'm stupid. C'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    Mirin cardio

Mirin dragon flags

Mirin positivity
    Thanks bruh!

Continued cardio is because of this article.

Dragon flags are because of future USAPL Raw Nationals competitor, @Cody.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    You forgot about MY unsolicited advice about belts.
    !!!

Thanks for the reminder about moving my belt up a bit. I think I used to do this in the past. Tomorrow, I'll try beltless paused deadlifts (no deficit) to see if it helps with keeping my back straight.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Good morning fellow lifters!

February 9th, 2017 - Thursday

AM BW: 134.4lbs

Start: 6:33 A.M.
    End: 8:26 A.M.
    Time: 113 minutes
    TRAC: Normal

Squat - Paused, Beltless

245x1 @8 - 0.31 m/s
    205x3x7 - (RPE 7 - 8)

e1RM ~266lbs

~ 3 minutes rest

2 Count Paused Bench Press

205x1 @8.5 - 0.19 m/s
    172.5x3x6 (RPE 7 - 8.5)

e1RM ~ 218lbs

~ 3 minutes rest

Seated Arnold Presses

40lbs: 10, 7
    30x8x3

~ 3 minutes / 2 minutes rest

Notes

Solid workout this morning. Everything felt pretty good despite waking up exhausted. My alarm went off when I was dreaming and that always leaves me a bit more groggy. I was aching to hit snooze, but I'm glad I didn't.

Paused Squats - A lot better than last week. That being said, I also didn't pause for 2 counts as I don't think that's necessary for me yet. I did a "one-one-thousand" count. These seem to help me focus on keeping my back angle more consistent, and to not drop my chest on the ascent. Plus, I'm scared about my lower back so I have to really focus on bracing.

2 Count Bench - My performance today shows that Monday's workout was a crappy anomaly. Overall, these went well.

Seated Arnold Press - Nice pump.

IMO, lifting is a form of meditation. Focus on breathing - check. Awareness of every part of their body whilst supporting a loaded barbell - check.

A video of my training is below. I think that's all for now. I sincerely hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday

Cheers!

Training - February 9th, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    IMO, lifting is a form of meditation. Focus on breathing - check. Awareness of every part of their body whilst supporting a loaded barbell - check.
    Interesting way to frame it.

Also, some pause squat motivation:

I do cardio for the same reason! Seems to help me recover intra-session, so I'm able to get through my work at a good pace.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Also, some pause squat motivation:
    Okay, Mike is not human.

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    I do cardio for the same reason! Seems to help me recover intra-session, so I'm able to get through my work at a good pace.
    I stopped conditioning drills because my current understanding is that conditioning is sport specific. I also haven't found cardio to interfere with my gainzZz... and a few times a week for 30 minutes isn't so bad.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Good morning fellow lifters!

February 10th, 2017 - Friday

AM BW: 133.8lbs

Start: 6:41 A.M.
    End: 8:21 A.M.
    Time: 100 minutes
    TRAC: Normal

Deadlift - Paused & Unbelted

255x3 @7
    275x3 @7.5
    295x3x3 (8, 8, 9)

~ 3 minutes rest

Front Squats - Unbelted

185x3
    195x3 @7.5
    200x3x3 (8, 8.5, 9)

~ 3 minutes rest

Dumbbell Bench (FU)

70lbs: 8, 6

Dumbbell Incline Bench

50lbs: 10, 8, 8

Dumbbell Seal Rows

40x9x4

Notes

Overall, a good workout. My last "heavy" workout until February 20th.

Deadlift - I think my back is slightly better due to not using a belt. Colin suggested that I try wearing my belt higher. In retrospect, I used to wear my belt a bit higher and one notch looser when I was bigger. Not sure why I stopped doing that.

Front Squats - Decided to do these unbelted, and probably will going forward. I realize I don't need to max out on front squats... yet.

Everything else - Good.

Swapped dumbbell seal rows with chin ups as I think seal rows deserve a sightly higher priority for now. Also, I'd like to make Saturday's "bro day" workout as short as possible and can work chin ups into a circuit a lot easier.

I think that's all for now. A video of my training is below. I hope everyone has a fantastic Friday!

Cheers!

Training - February 10th, 2017

Mahendra, you have just about the most level-headed, no-nonsense, healthy relationship to weightloss that I've encountered. Seriously -- I really do think it takes huge strength of character to lose as much weight as you did, and be "dieting" for as long as you were, and not come out of it a little fanatical. I always really appreciate your musings on the matter.

And I 100% agree re: lifting as meditation. Nothing forces me to get out of my head and into my body like having a loaded barbell on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by anniemichael View Post
    Mahendra, you have just about the most level-headed, no-nonsense, healthy relationship to weightloss that I've encountered. Seriously -- I really do think it takes huge strength of character to lose as much weight as you did, and be "dieting" for as long as you were, and not come out of it a little fanatical. I always really appreciate your musings on the matter..
    Annie - thank you very much for your kind words. I really think you're giving me a lot more credit than I deserve. I looked at it as a goal that I wanted to achieve, and I had to do what was necessary to achieve it. That being said, losing that weight was one of the hardest things I've had to do. Also, had it not been for the support from my girlfriend, and a lot of amazing people on here, I don't know if I would have come this far.

And I 100% agree re: lifting as meditation. Nothing forces me to get out of my head and into my body like having a loaded barbell on my back.
    Whenever I actually try to meditate, I find it hard. My mind is constantly wandering. Lifting is one of those times I have no choice but to focus... or die.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Good night fellow lifters!

February 11th, 2017 - Saturday

AM BW: 133.8lbs
    Waist: 28.375"
    Neck: 13.5"
    BF % (Navy): 10.6%

Bro Workout

Chin Ups
    Side Raises
    Seated Incline Curls
    Dragon Flags

Cardio

Air Death - 30 minutes
    Movie: Back to the Future Part 3 (Finished)

Notes

Good workout this morning! Nice and short. It'll be my last session until February 20th as I'll be away on vacay for a week in St. Lucia & Barbados. St. Lucia will be an "active" vacation where we'll be hiking, snorkeling, zip lining, etc. Barbados is where we plan to relax on the beach for a couple of days.

All packed and ready to go. I hope everyone has an amazing night and an amazing week!

Cheers!

starting strength coach development program
    Bro workout before a vacation... Coincidence? I think not

Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast