starting strength gym
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahendra's log of GainzZz

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    Counterpoint: train how you compete. SBDs and Rehbands feel very different on my knee and I wouldn't want to have to deal with any new kinaesthetic inputs on meet day.
    Yeah, I agree with practicing how you play, which is why I suggested doing some training closer to the meet with the competition sleeves. The Evolutionize sleeves feel similar to SBDs as well. Not as comfortable for me, though. Start to bunch up on the back of my knee and bother me after about an hour.

Oh Jesus, you got a size smaller, competition fit? It took me 4 or 5 Intensity Day training sessions to break in my "comfort" fit STrong sleeves to the point where I could pull them all the way up. (My PL teammates tell me the STrong sleeves are very similar to SBDs.) I do the fold in half method. I find that long socks underneath makes it harder to get the knee sleeves on.

Also, I agree with train how you compete. Even if you want to use your old sleeves sometimes, you should occasionally use the new sleeves. I use my new sleeves only on ID, and I use my old stretched out Rehbands for VD and RD.

I have a pair of M and a pair of L SBD sleeves. I use the L for training and M for comps as well as the last 2-3 heavy training sessions. I've tried all the different techniques (just pulling them on, inside-out, folding, etc.), and I've found that knee-high compression socks and folding them (top down over the bottom), where the top part is well below the bottom part, is the key for me. Then I can easily get the bottom part in place, just below the knee, and then just wriggle them up on the thigh.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how you respond to lower rep sets! It was a game-changer for me the first time I did more sets with less than 5 reps accross. My top strength shot up and I ended up PR'ing my squat and deadlift 1RM with 5 kg per week the three weeks leading up to the meet as well as PR'ing the deadlift at the meet.

Good luck with your prep! I'm 7 weeks out from my next meet, and I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    Counterpoint: train how you compete. SBDs and Rehbands feel very different on my knee and I wouldn't want to have to deal with any new kinaesthetic inputs on meet day.
    This is a good point. Especially given that I'm ~12 weeks away.

Competition fit is fine for me. Give it a couple of weeks and they'll loosen up, plus you'll get used to putting them on. I've never tried specifically putting mine on with socks, but the second they make any incidental contact with my regular socks they get stuck tight, so it's not a technique I'd try. Plus, putting them on with socks as an aid would technically be illegal under IPF Rules.
    It's doable, but it's just a slight pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Yeah, I agree with practicing how you play, which is why I suggested doing some training closer to the meet with the competition sleeves. The Evolutionize sleeves feel similar to SBDs as well. Not as comfortable for me, though. Start to bunch up on the back of my knee and bother me after about an hour.
    That's my hesitation on getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Oh Jesus, you got a size smaller, competition fit? It took me 4 or 5 Intensity Day training sessions to break in my "comfort" fit STrong sleeves to the point where I could pull them all the way up. (My PL teammates tell me the STrong sleeves are very similar to SBDs.) I do the fold in half method. I find that long socks underneath makes it harder to get the knee sleeves on.
    Lol yes. But I guess some discomfort is to be had if one wants GainzZz... right?

Also, I agree with train how you compete. Even if you want to use your old sleeves sometimes, you should occasionally use the new sleeves. I use my new sleeves only on ID, and I use my old stretched out Rehbands for VD and RD.
    That was another thought - use the Rehbands for my volume work, and then the SBD's for my heavier day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    I have a pair of M and a pair of L SBD sleeves. I use the L for training and M for comps as well as the last 2-3 heavy training sessions. I've tried all the different techniques (just pulling them on, inside-out, folding, etc.), and I've found that knee-high compression socks and folding them (top down over the bottom), where the top part is well below the bottom part, is the key for me. Then I can easily get the bottom part in place, just below the knee, and then just wriggle them up on the thigh.
    That's a great tip. I'll try that as well. The method that Bean Counter mentioned to me works, but for some reason it felt a lot harder on Tuesday than it did last week.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how you respond to lower rep sets! It was a game-changer for me the first time I did more sets with less than 5 reps accross. My top strength shot up and I ended up PR'ing my squat and deadlift 1RM with 5 kg per week the three weeks leading up to the meet as well as PR'ing the deadlift at the meet.
    That's something really positive to look forward to. I quite like training like this. The only downside is thinking about "8 to 10 sets" to complete, but it does go by quickly.

Good luck with your prep! I'm 7 weeks out from my next meet, and I can't wait!
    Thank you! And good luck with your prep as well! I'm positive you'll do great!

__________________________________________________ ___________

Good morning fellow lifters!

January 4th, 2017 - Wednesday

AM BW: 134.0lbs

Conditioning

20 minutes max calories - 160; 6.1 miles

Wednesday's session is not fun. I think I'm mentally not prepared for conditioning on Wednesdays. Also, I'm sure I'm in a fatigued state due to training the prior 2 days. I guess I need to just power through it, as so far, it has not affected training negatively on Thursday or Friday.

I think my weight might continue to drop over these 2-3 weeks as I ramp my calories back up, because I'm technically still in a deficit.

It is nicer to be able to eat MOAR carbs though. Yesterday I had penne with chicken breast, mushrooms & broccoli, served in a tomato basil sauce. The nice thing is that I can finally use MOAR sauce (i.e. 2 cups) rather than 1.25 that I've used in the past. Gosh, I missed carbs.

I think that's all for now. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Cheers!

Hey dude it's nice!Late to the party,looking forward see your meet prep again!

Interesting discussion re more sets less reps. I have done that earlier with the press with good results. But it does take time.

Quote Originally Posted by risepmj View Post
    Hey dude it's nice!Late to the party,looking forward see your meet prep again!
    Hey MJ! Great to see you posting here again! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Interesting discussion re more sets less reps. I have done that earlier with the press with good results. But it does take time.
    For me so far, I think more sets with lower reps have been working out to roughly the same time as higher reps with fewer sets, due to controlling rest time.

If later on I need to add in more sets, I have no problem with dropping some accessory work or moving them to later in the day (i.e. chin ups/dips/dragon flags), in order to work on my competition lifts.

__________________________________________________ __

Good morning fellow lifters!

January 5th, 2017 - Thursday

AM BW: 134.0lbs

Comp Bench

200x1 @ 9 - 0.17 m/s
    187.5x1x10 - last single was 0.24 m/s

e1RM - ~208lbs

< 2 minutes rest

TnG Bench

155x4x6

< 3 minutes rest

Seated Arnold Press

30x10x3

~ 2 minutes rest

Chin Ups / Dips Superset

8 rounds
    Chin Ups - 55 reps
    Dips - 65 reps

Time: ~80 minutes

Great workout this morning! Woke up exhausted though, but it turns out I was a bit dehydrated.

Comp Bench - Again, stopping with the @10 work sets. Doing singles across @ ~90% of e1RM felt great. Most singles were in the ~0.25 m/s range, with the 9th single dropping to 0.20 m/s, but the 10th bumping back up to 0.24 m/s.

It's interesting to see how big of an impact my setup can have on bar speed. For example, the 9th single's set up wasn't on par, and bar speed reflected that. On the 10th single, set up was better (I think) and bar speed reflected it.

TnG Bench - Flew

Seated Arnold Press - Really like these. Give them a try

Chin Ups / Dips - Decided to superset these rather than give them their own 7 minute density blocks. I think I like this setup better, and it gives me a great pump afterwards.

I think that's all for now. A video of my comp bench is below - top set, and singles 1, 5, and 10.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Cheers!

Training Snippets - January 5th, 2017

I've been getting comp bench work programmed similar to that... x1 @8, then a percentage for singles across (percentage and # reps vary week to week). It was working, but then again most things were working for my bench and there was a ton of assistance volume.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I've been getting comp bench work programmed similar to that... x1 @8, then a percentage for singles across (percentage and # reps vary week to week). It was working, but then again most things were working for my bench and there was a ton of assistance volume.
    Prior to ~2 weeks ago, this mornings workout would have been a 3RM and then backoff singles until @10. However, I figured singles might be a better idea given competition specificity. Plus, I recall seeing you do singles across in your log and thought it was a good idea. Also now, lower RPE (7-8) because it's probably better to not grind myself to death.

What I'm doing right now logically makes sense to me. However, the effectiveness of what I'm doing will be hard to gauge until I start pushing my weights back up into absolute PR territories. As I've already lifted weights much heavier than what I'm lifting now, albeit at a higher BW, I wonder if doing pretty much anything consistently will work, due to "muscle memory".

How much lean mass did I have before? How much lean mass do I have now? How much of my strength was lost due to lean mass decreasing? How much strength was lost due to glycogen & water levels being depressed for ~29 weeks. All rhetorical questions I supposed, because practically, it probably isn't worth figuring out right now.

At least being at a much lower weight & BF%, I'll at least be more competitive in powerlifting than I was at my previous weght. Probably not competitive enough to win any local comps (based on records I've seen in 66KG), but (eventually) competitive enough to place maybe top 5 (locally)?

Let's assume Martin Berkhan's model on genetic muscle potential is somewhat accurate. That means, my maximum lean mass potential is ~135lbs.

At 178lbs and ~26.7% BF, my estimated lean mass was ~130lbs.
    At 134lbs and ~12% BF, my estimated lean mass is now ~118lbs.

^ I lost my train of thought as to why I posted those figures, but what I'd like to eventually get to is this:

After I finish this first meet, regardless of total, I think I'll consider paying someone for programming to make further gainzZz in powerlifting. Especially considering that I want to stay between 10-15% BF at all times, I don't know if I'll have the knowledge to do this in the long run.

Assuming the lean mass calculations are right, I need to add an additional 12lbs of lean mass before I can get back to my previous levels of strength. How to do that while staying below 15% BF is key.

Sorry to go on a tangent like this. Random thoughts just started entering my mind.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    Let's assume Martin Berkhan's model on genetic muscle potential is somewhat accurate. That means, my maximum lean mass potential is ~135lbs.

At 178lbs and ~26.7% BF, my estimated lean mass was ~130lbs.
    At 134lbs and ~12% BF, my estimated lean mass is now ~118lbs.

^ I lost my train of thought as to why I posted those figures, but what I'd like to eventually get to is this:

After I finish this first meet, regardless of total, I think I'll consider paying someone for programming to make further gainzZz in powerlifting. Especially considering that I want to stay between 10-15% BF at all times, I don't know if I'll have the knowledge to do this in the long run.

Assuming the lean mass calculations are right, I need to add an additional 12lbs of lean mass before I can get back to my previous levels of strength. How to do that while staying below 15% BF is key.
    Noooo don't assume anything about Berkhan.

YOUR Drug-Free Muscle and Strength Potential: Part 1 ? Strengtheory

That right there is great. It wants me to be 170lbs and 12% at my max. WAY more interesting and satisfying to chase.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast