Jordan Stanton: Return of Power Jordan Stanton: Return of Power - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan Stanton: Return of Power

• phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    I follow you on instagram and I've been wondering about your choice of squat and deadlift form. Specifically, you've always had a pretty vertical back angle for both (at least relative to the SS model). What are your thoughts on back angle, especially in the context of your injury? Do you think you're missing out on any adaptive benefits by reducing the stress a more horizontal angle would create?

Quote Originally Posted by ajvd View Post
    I follow you on instagram and I've been wondering about your choice of squat and deadlift form. Specifically, you've always had a pretty vertical back angle for both (at least relative to the SS model). What are your thoughts on back angle, especially in the context of your injury? Do you think you're missing out on any adaptive benefits by reducing the stress a more horizontal angle would create?
    That is a great question! Obviously if you follow me you know that I use sumo deadlifts at the moment. That is directly a result of my injury. I could not tolerate the more horizontal back angle of the conventional deadlift and lead to one of my reinjuries in the past. Sumo allows me to continue to train a pulling pattern with less risk. As this injury becomes less and less, conventional deadlift will certainly make a reappearance as its a superior strength builder.

As far as the squat. I originally started with the SS squat. After about 9 months I moved towards a very wide more upright squat because I found that it allowed me to utilize knee wraps better and exposure to peers. More weight = better for competition. Granted I think it was a mistake looking back. Now my squat is much more similar to an SS squat then before, with a slightly wider stance than the model. This is a position I worked on in the seminar and found it a good balance for my long legs short torso type build. Sometime I will take a video of my knee and back angle to show that its not all that upright. Notably you will notice that my knee angle is not all that acute with knees definitely not even tracking past toes. Is there a fear element keeping me more upright? Perhaps. Work in progress.

Your final question of do I think I am missing the adaptive element? Yes and no. Currently each session is simply a test of tissue integrity. If I pass then I move up. For now the stress is adequate but safe. Later down the road I can utilize a more horizontal back angle as another means to increase the stress on the injured area. One could argue the use of lighter weights with a more horizontal back angle to achieve a similar result. I can see merit in both. Thanks for the good questions!

Todays workout was simply:
    Prowler 1:1 18 Minutes 195lbs.
    Last edited by Jordan Stanton; 02-11-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks Jordan

Today's workout felt heavy even if speed was good. 10lb jumps and extra activity is catching up really fast. I have to relearn to utilize my muscles again.

Same warmup as usual.

Squat 285 3x5
    Bench 255 3x5
    Deadlift 375 1x5
    Dips: 90 Reps

Hey Jordan,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the serious injury you suffered and how did it happen? You and your wife are one strong couple! Thanks!

L5S1 lateral annular tear. The likely result of a strongman log press. Lateral tears do not heal very nicely and I suffered with it for over a year. Finally after my procedure I am 75-80% better and can train again. Thankfully I learned a lot in the process. Unfortunately I may not have the same capabilities I once had. Oh well, i believe in this stuff and training must continue!

And my wife is a true powerlifter. She is incredibly strong, but I got her pregnant so that I might have time to catch up!

Gravity felt light today and the workout went very well.

Warmup/Silly Shit: 1 hand KB deadlift, turkish getup, 1 hand overhead lunge (working on thoracic extension as opposed to using lumbar for flexibility)

Squat 295 3x5
    Overhead Press 140 3x5 - I am still very strict upright with these. An overhead movement being the source of injury this scares me a lot.
    Deadlift 385 1x5
    Pull Ups 60 Reps
    Prowler 230lbs 10 Minutes 1:1 Intervals

Still working on my hookgrip but i am acclimating already. My biggest pull with hookgrip was 600lbs. It will have to hold 700lbs this year if I am to meet my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Stanton View Post
    She is incredibly strong, but I got her pregnant so that I might have time to catch up!
    Congratulations! Kids are awesome, and also sometimes terrible, but mostly awesome.

Todays session went very well and marks a milestone of my recovery. Back to 400 deadlifts and 300 squats. I have failed many times well before this mark in the past but this time is very different. Everything feels great!

Standard warmup other then a turkish getup with barbell of 95lbs. Still plan on hitting 135 per a challenge from my physical therapist.

Squat 305 3x5
    Bench 260 3x5
    Deadlift 400 1x5
    Dips 90 reps

starting strength nutrition camp
    Lifted immediately following jiu jitsu today. I rolled probably 6 rounds which is a lot. I thought it would take a lot out of my lifting but not really. Everything was actually really easy.

Squat 315 3x5
    Overhead 145 3x5
    Deadlift 405 1x5
    Pull ups 40 Reps (ran out of time)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast