Jordan Stanton: Return of Power Jordan Stanton: Return of Power

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan Stanton: Return of Power

Default Jordan Stanton: Return of Power

• phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    Hello, my name is Jordan. Once upon a time I was a fairly competitive powerlifter. I have placed best overall in local competitions and 2nd nationally at Starting Strength Fall Classic 2015. My best numbers were squat 600, bench 385, deadlift 650, overhead press 255 at a bodyweight between 220 and 242. Unfortunately I suffered a very significant back injury and have been fighting very hard to make a return to competitive sports. Finally I have been able to make progress after a back procedure in October and am ready to attempt a return to lifting.

The plan is a simple linear progression and to utilize tissue tolerance as a guide of when to increase weight. The intended frequency is 3 days a week. I am currently practicing jiu jitsu as well x2 a week.

Week one - Session one:
    Squat 225 3x5
    Bench Press 225 3x5
    Deadlift 315 1x5
    Pull ups 8,6,5

Relatively easy beginning weights. Pull ups surprising difficult but it really shouldn't surprise me given the layoff post surgery. Once upon a time I could do +130lbs x2.

Welcome back to lifting.

May the lbs be plentiful.

Also,

Jordans tend to do well here.

Good to see you lifting again, Jordan. Hope your back stays unfucked and you get strong AF again.
    YT * IG * FB

Thanks Wolf and Derf!

Session Two:

Squat 235 3x5
    Overhead Press 115 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 325
    Pull ups 40 Total
    1:1 interval prowler push 10 minutes.

Look forward to seeing you get back to business!

Best of luck with your training, Jordan. Out of curiosity, what kind of procedure did you have on your back?

I had a PRP intradiscal injection into L5S1. It has been a major benefit to my recovery. Thanks Chris and John.

Session 3
    Squat 245 3x5
    Bench 245 3x5
    Deadlift 335 1x5
    Pull Ups 42
    1:1 interval Prowler 12 minutes

Yep you are correct. "I am not doing the program." My recovery capacity is far beyond the typical novice and weights are restricted based on tissue tolerance not ability at this moment. I can fit some extras in.

Squat 255 3x5
    OHP 125 3x5
    Deadlift 345 1x5
    Pull Ups 50

Each lift gets easier each session. Back isn't perfect but I am not sure that it ever will be again. So far it tolerates if I am careful and that's all I can ask for.

Warmed up with unilater KB Deadlift x20 per hand. 15 Goblet Squats. x3 per side Turkish Getup up to 97lbs.

Squat 265 3x5
    Bench Press 250 3x5
    Deadlift 355 1x5
    Pull Ups 55

Pretty easy session overall. My achy body tolerated without much issue. Up and up we go.

starting strength nutrition camp
    Warmup with unilateral KB deadlift x 20 per hand. x3 Turkish Getup. Arm Bar Mobility

Squat 275 3x5
    Overhead Press 135 3x5
    Deadlift 365 1x5
    Pull Ups 60

These are the first squats that felt heavy. The ascent is still very easy its just relearning the descent. My overhead presses are being performed very strict which makes them far more challenging. For deadlift I am starting to work in hook grip in anticipation of increased weights. I usually have to go hook grip or over under around 500lbs but I do not want to wait till 500 before I start acclimating my thumbs. I will probably continue to deadlift every workout until I hit 405 and then start to back down to every other and then quickly to once weekly. Its also about time to alternate high volume pulls ups with dips. Ballistic movements such as cleans will have to wait until I rebuild my "armor" and become very confident in my spine health again.

I love questions if you want to know why I do any of the things I do.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast