Saturday 4 March
    Week 3, Day 4

1-Block Sumo
    Straps
    140 kg: 1 X 7
    145 kg: 1 X 7
    150 kg: 3 X 7
    Totals: 35 reps, 5,145 kg

So-so. Hip flexors have been tight all week which I think that was triggered by Monday squat / Tuesday deadlift rather than the sumo work last week. I pushed the loading a bit more aggressively than the last couple of weeks. After warming up without straps I realized that using straps on the sets forced a slightly different setup. First reps all felt really nice, but technical consistency throughout the sets was more of a challenge. Hips were kinda tight throughout, just staying at a level rather than getting better or wore. Knees Ok until a tiny bit of right-side pain during the final set. Time to try sumo off the floor next week, but I might limit it to singles.

5ct Eccentric Pushups
    3 X 12

Good. Strength on this movement feels better than the last time I did twelves. A bit of shoulder discomfort. Elbows are a little better than they have been in general over the last month or two but are still a chronic issue; I'm considering keeping squats to the buffalo bar for a bit longer. Edit - spoke too soon, some elbow ache post-session.

V-grip Pulldown
    60 kg: 2 X 12
    65 kg: 3 X 12
    Totals: 60 reps, 3,780 kg

Meh. Added this slot after skipping a pulling slot on Thursday and not wanting to double up today. I feel that the weights I can use on pulldown type motions are poor relative to my overall strength level. Slight shoulder discomfort.

Planks [EMOM]
    35 s X 3, 30s X 4
    Total: 3:45 in 6:30

Hard, probably due to shoulder girdle fatigue after pushups / pulldowns.

Rotator Cuff Stuff
    X3

Mobility
    Last edited by bean counter; 03-04-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Monday 6 March
    Week 4, Day 1

Bodyweight: 96.2 kg

Buffalo Bar Squat
    SBD knee sleeves, belt, wrist wraps
    177.5 kg X 1 @ 8 [0.37 m/s]
    142.5 kg X 5 @ 7, 7, 7, 7.5-
    Totals: 21 reps, 3,030 kg

Mixed. Single moved very well - faster AND heavier than last week despite warmups not feeling great. Slightly worried I cut it a bit high, but that seems unlikely for me and I don't have any video to review. On the other hand the sets of 142.5 kg X 5 actually seemed subjectively harder than sets of 140 kg X 6 last week. Probably a sign of accumulated fatigue. Volume is down this week for a slight deload as I move into a more traditional developmental phase. My whole anterior upper leg, from knee to hip was sore by the end.

Bench
    75 kg X 5 X 3
    Totals: 15 reps, 1,125 kg

OK. Seemed hard on the first set, but better afterwards. Could have been more consistent with bar path / speed / pause. Good enough to increase to 80 kg next time.

BB Seal Row [Chinese Row]
    50 kg: 1 X 10
    55 kg: 1 X 10
    57.5 kg: 1 X 10
    62.5 kg: 2 X 10
    Totals: 50 reps, 2,875 kg

OK. First time doing this with a barbell. ROM was a bit attenuated, someone suggested using a cambered bar next time, which I intend to try. This configuration is evidently easier for the same weight than DBs. Had to wrap a wrist wrap around the barbell the muffle the clanking of barbell on bench at the top.

Rotator Cuff Circuit

Mobility
    Last edited by bean counter; 03-06-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Tuesday 7 March
    Week 4, Day 2

Bodyweight: 96.6 kg

2ct Deadlift
    170 kg: 1 X 1 @ 8+
    150 kg: 3 X 4 @ 8, 8, 7+
    Totals: 13 reps, 1,970 kg

Urgh. I'm under-recovered and this didn't feel good. 170 kg felt awful, but I forced myself to do it anyway. Backed off a bit on the sets and it took until the last one for any improvement to show. More warmups, or doing this later in the session might help.

Seated DB Press
    12.5 kg: 1 X 10 @ 6
    15 kg: 1 X 10 @ 6
    17.5 kg: 3 X 10 @ 7, 7, 7
    Totals: 50 reps, 1,600 kg

OK. 17.5 kg X 10 is pretty easy, but I'm being cautious about jumping up to 20 kg. Shoulder still feels different on the left side, even with such light weight.

Bulgarian Split Squat
    40 kg: 1 X 6 @ 6
    45 kg: 1 X 6 @ 6.5
    50 kg: 1 X 6 @ 7
    55 kg: 2 X 6 @ 8-, 8-
    Totals: 30 reps, 1,470 kg

Encouraging. This was more of a balance challenge than the DB split squats I've been doing recently. On the plus side, strength was better with this variation. Hopefully I'll be able to manage 60 kg next week and avoid having such an embarrassingly tiny load on the barbell. My right ankle doesn't really like being up and extended under load, but it's tolerable and doesn't seem to irritate it.

DB Hammer Curls
    5-6-7-8-9-10 kg X 25

I seem to have got better at curls without my biceps getting any bigger. Oh well, these are supposed to be for elbow health anyway.

Eccentric Triceps Cable Extension
    5 kg X 15 X 3

Mobility

Wednesday 8 March
    Week 4, GPP

Bodyweight: 97.3 kg

Oddly heavy today. Dropping 20C from my training day macros.

Spin Bike
    20 minutes

Cable Internal / External Rotation
    3 kg X 15 X 3

Planks
    35s X 6, 45s
    Total: 4:15 in 6:45

Mobility

Thursday 9 March
    Week 4, Day 3

Bodyweight: 97.0 kg

Bench
    80 kg X 5 X 3
    Totals: 15 reps, 1,200 kg

OK. A painless shoulder clunk on rep three or four of the first set. Still no wrist wraps and I did lose my wrist position a bit at times. Couldn't get heels into a perfect position because I was wearing flats rather than Adipowers. Defintely no more than RPE 7, though it's hard to judge at the moment, so hopefully I can take a couple more 5 kg jumps, then maybe slow down to 2.5 kg jumps at 90 kg. My shoulder is doing relatively well lately, but it certainly isn't better by any stretch of the imagination. Given how long it's been chronically pissed off I'm not expecting any quick fixes at this point. If I can continue to push bench up without irritating it further I'll be happy enough.

Sumo DL
    Belt
    180 kg: 3 X 1 @ 8 [0.26 m/s], 8 [0.25 m/s], 8 [0.25 m/s]
    185 kg: 1 X 1 @ 8.5 [0.24 m/s]
    190 kg: 1 X 1 @ 9 [0.18 m/s]
    150 kg: 1 X 5 @ 7
    Conventional
    150 kg: 1 X 5 @ 7
    Totals: 15 reps, 2,415 kg

Hmm. This was the first time training sumo in my priority deadlift slot and hence my first timing doing sumo with a belt. Warmups up to 160 kg were nice and smooth, then 180 kg was actually quite hard. It didn't really feel heavier than 180 kg conventional, but the bar sure moved a lot slower. With this heavy (for me) weight I was definitely losing positing and pulling more of a conventional technique / sumo stance. A few of the singles were hookgrip, which I think is the heaviest I've ever hooked. It hurt, but not unbearably so. I did used mixed with 190 kg and experienced a bit of windmilling among all my other technical flaws, so hook might be the way to go there. While 190 kg moved really slowly it didn't feel as awful as a comparably slow conventional pull would - maybe my RPE-relative velocities are slower for sumo. I used the SBD belt, which wasn't a problem on the sumo work due to the more upright stance. To avoid beating my hips up too much second back-off set was conventional and sure enough the belt was uncomfortable.

V-Grip Pulldown
    60 kg: 1 X 10 @ 6
    65 kg: 1 X 10 7
    70 kg: 3 X 10 @ 8, 8, 7
    Totals: 50 reps, 3,350 kg

Fine. Probably keep the top set the same next week because I'll be increasing volume.

Rotator Cuff Stuff
    X3

Ab Wheel [kneeling]
    3 X 3

Maybe a bad idea for my shoulder, but I was feeling whimsical. Very few reps because I know how badly this can mess me up.

Mobility

Saturday 11 March
    Week 4, Day 4

Bodyweight: 96.7 kg

Hips tight post-sumo. Should be fine for my main squat day on Monday.

SSB Squat
    SBD knee sleeves
    145 kg: 1 X 1 @ 8+
    125 kg kg: 3 X 4 @ 8, 8, 8
    Totals: 13 reps, 1,645 kg

Good. First time trying a heavy single with the safety-bar - wasn't sure if that was a good idea but it worked out fine. Tough on the quads plus trying to tip me forward. Staying upright wasn't really a challenge on the subsequent sets, it was more of a quad focus.

Reverse-Grip Bench
    60 kg: 1 X 5
    70 kg: 1 X 5
    65 kg: 1 X 5
    Totals: 15 reps, 585 kg

Hmmm. Easy, but didn't feel great around the back of the shoulder. Might try again next week, or just go back to eccentric pushups. 2X LP is all my bench seems to need right now, so any accesory work has got to be low-risk.

Rotator Cuff Stuff

Goodmorning
    50 kg: 1 X 6
    55 kg: 1 X 6
    60 kg: 3 X 6
    Totals: 30 reps, 1,710

Good. Managed to get a nice stretch into my glutes and hamstrings and back position was fine. Could push the weight a bit, but need to be mindful is this suppose to be light supplemental work as my lower back recovery hasn't been great recently.

DB Hammer Curls
    5-6-7-8-9-10-12.5 kg X 25

Found my limit. 12.5 kg was tough and made my elbows hurt. So 10 ks should be the top weight for now.

Scapular Protration in Pushup Position
    3 X 15

Planks
    EMOM: 35s X 6, 50s
    Total: 4:20 in 6:50

Mobility

Monday 14 March
    Week 5, Day 1

Bodyweight: 96.6 kg

BW losses seem to have stalled so I think further macro adjustment is needed to move the dial. I'm unsure what to do. On one hand I was hoping to lose another kilo or two and maybe half an inch off my waist. On the other I'm still hoping to compete in May and don't feel I really have time to regain downwards momentum, arrest it, then eat up to a non-horribly-underweight position for the 105 kg class in that time. I'll stick with my current intake for a couple of days and think about it.

Buffalo Bar Squat
    SBD knee sleeves, belt, wrist wraps
    180 kg X 1 @ 8.5 [0.32 m/s]
    142.5 kg X 5 @ 6.5, 7, 7, 7.5, 7.5
    Totals: 26 reps, 3,745 kg

OK. Single at +2.5 kg was much slower than last week, so I'll hold there next week. Sets were more fluid than last week. Writing this the day after I have quite a lot of soreness, so I'm not looking forward to my planned 6 X 5 next week.

Bench
    85 kg X 5 X 3
    Totals: 15 reps, 1,275 kg

Mostly good. I used a very deliberate setup and my position on the bench felt nice. Pleased that I'm still avoiding wrist wraps too. One shoulder clunk in set two, but no pain. This is definitely getting relatively hard: sets were something like @7, @8, @7.5. Unpleasant hip tightness on the final set. Shoulder slightly tight the next day. 90 kg next time will be my last 5 kg jump.

BB Seal Row [Chinese Row]
    50 kg: 1 X 10
    52.5 kg: 1 X 10
    55 kg: 4 X 10
    Totals: 60 reps, 3,225 kg

Fine. As suggested last week I used a cambered bar for a little extra ROM. Consequently, weights were down a bit, but I think it's worth it.

Rotator Cuff
    X3

Mobility

Feeling quite beaten up overall on Tuesday morning. Planning to deload after next week, although that seems like a long way away from here.

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    BW losses seem to have stalled so I think further macro adjustment is needed to move the dial. I'm unsure what to do. On one hand I was hoping to lose another kilo or two and maybe half an inch off my waist. On the other I'm still hoping to compete in May and don't feel I really have time to regain downwards momentum, arrest it, then eat up to a non-horribly-underweight position for the 105 kg class in that time. I'll stick with my current intake for a couple of days and think about it.
    If you'll allow a bit of uninvited advice...take off the extra couple of kilos and compete as a 93kg this time, if that option is available. Plenty of time to grow into the 105's (and from a far better place) beginning in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    If you'll allow a bit of uninvited advice...take off the extra couple of kilos and compete as a 93kg this time, if that option is available. Plenty of time to grow into the 105's (and from a far better place) beginning in May.
    I'm not sure I really see the point of lifting at 93 kg since I'll still be hopelessly uncompetetive and wouldn't anticipate ever doing any more competitions at that weight. But, on the other hand, with a couple of kilos of actual weight loss it's then only a bit of water away, so it shouldn't be too challenging to get there and it might be an interesting little task to squeeze myself in there rather than just be at the bottom of the 105 class. Hmm.

Tuesday 14 March
    Week 5, Day 2

Bodyweight: 96.9 kg

2" Block Pull
    180 kg: 1 X 1 @ 7.5
    + Straps
    150 kg: 1 X 5 @ 6
    160 kg: 1 X 5 @ 7
    165 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8
    Totals: 16 reps, 2,555 kg

Great. The block seems to remove the issue I have with getting my back set on conventional deadlifts from the floor, so I can get into a solid position. I could actually feel the extension in my back for once. Played it easy to start with because of high fatigue levels, then worked up to a decent weight (for me) by the end.

Bulgarian Split Squat
    45 kg: 1 X 6 @ 6
    50 kg: 1 X 6 @ 7
    55 kg: 3 X 6 @ 8, 8, 8
    Totals: 30 reps, 1,560 kg

Poor. I tried Adipowers rather than Crossfit Lites, but the narrower, rounded toe didn't rest on the bench as well and the narrower footprint of the standing leg hindered balance. Strength on par with last week. The main problem was my right groin, which feels sore at the moment and was pulling a bit on all of the reps. Cut off one set at the end because I wasn't really feeling it.

Seated DB Press
    12.5 kg: 1 X 10 @ 6
    15 kg: 1 X 10 @ 6
    17.5 kg: 4 X 10 @ 7, 7, 8, 8
    Totals: 60 reps, 1,950 kg

OK. Actually seemed a bit harder than last week. Shoulder feeling OK for this movement / load combination.

DB Hammer Curls
    7-8-9-10 kg X 25

Mobility

Kind of concerned about this groin thing. I should consider skipping sumo pulls tomorrow (Thursday) to give it a bit of rest. At the least I'll minimise sumo volume. Given that the nastiest sensation was on Monday's bench then bench tomorrow might be an issue too. Sticking a wrap on the leg is also an option.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday 15 March
    Week 5, GPP

Cable Internal / External Rotation
    3 kg X 15 X 3

Eccentric Cable Triceps Extension
    7 kg X 15 X 3

DB Hammer Curls
    8 kg X 15 X 3

Plank
    35s X 6, 1:00
    Total: 4:30 in 7:00

Mobility

Thursday 16 March
    Week 5, Day 3

Bench
    90 kg X 5 X 3
    Totals: 15 reps, 1,350 kg

Good. Despite some shoulder tightness strength was there. This, unsurprisingly, felt heavy in my hands since I haven't handled as much in about six weeks. Bar moved well and I kept my position reasonably well (to the point of back cramping on the last set). Had a slight collapse at the bottom of a couple of reps during my final set, bar dropping onto my chest rather than lowering with full control, so I'll need to be mindful of that. Still no wrist wraps - this might even be a no wrist wraps PR! The shoulder has been a bit more temperamental this week after 85 kg on Monday. Hopefully this is just variation rather than an inevitable response to lifting heavier weights. Going to drop to 2.5 kg jumps now.

Sumo DL
    Belt
    170 kg: 3 X 1 @ 0.25 m/s, 0.29 m/s, 0.33 m/s
    Conventional
    150 kg: 4 X 5 @ 7, 7, 7, 7-
    Totals: 23 reps, 3,510 kg

Terrible. Tried a few things during my three heavish-ish sumo reps. I only used 170 kg for these because of general fatigue and some groin soreness, plus a desire to actually work good positions. Toes out a bit more than last week, with the following variations:

1) Shins 2" inside rings, hook grip
    2) Shins 1" inside rings, mixed grip
    3) Shins 1" inside rings, hook grip

Third rep was by far the best, although that may well just be practice rather than the factors noted above. By then my adductors were burning so I switched to conventional for volume. At which point I suffered some deep crisis of confidence and energy levels and really struggled to get through the work. RPEs were based on the fact I know I could have done more reps, but every rep felt week and unpleasant.

I could just write this off as a bad day, but overall based on subjective recovery and energy levels I think I've been pushing volume a bit too hard. I was going to increase again next week to 6 X 5 on the squat, before a deload the following week, but at the most I think I should now just hold steady with this week's load. I could take a deload week next week instead, but then there's still another seven weeks until the next competition date, so I'd rather hold off if possible.

V-Grip Pulldown
    60 kg: 1 X 10 @ 6
    65 kg: 1 X 10 @ 7
    70 kg: 4 X 10 @ 8, 8, 8, 8
    Totals: 60 reps, 4,050 kg

OK. Managed to get through this despite feeling really drained. 70 kg was actually maybe a bit easier than last week.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast