Thread: Cole's Work

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    10-5 Intensity day #1

squat - 380x5
    bench press - 300x5
    DL - 410x5

PR's across the board. im feeling really strong right now. i think its from increased volume day weight and an increase in confidence after my meet.
    Last edited by Cole Gorton; 10-06-2017 at 08:21 PM.

10-8 - volume day

squat - 360x5x5
    bench press - 285x5x5
    DL - 365x5
    RDL - 315x5x2

felt really good today, hopefully i can keep up these gainzzz for at least 6 weeks. also, i started a strength and power blog.

10-10 - recovery day

light squat - 285x5x2
    press - 175x5x3, 65x10
    chins - 8,8,8
    back ext - 12,12,12

10-12 - Intensity Day #2

Squat - 390x5
    Bench Press - 305x5
    DL - 420x2 (f)

I made a mistake tonight. I decided against better judgement and uncharacteristically took 10 lb jumps for squat and DL and a 5lb jump for bench. Ive been feeling really strong lately and all my lifts have been going really well so i said fuck it lets get aggressive. I knew from squat rep one i was in for a tough night and almost racked it. then almost racked it again after rep three but i really wanted a new 5RM so i kept going. It was an UGLY set. Same with bench, somehow didnt get pinned on rep 5. by the time DL's i only had 2 in me, no way was i getting 5.

Lesson learned - dont get greedy! take your small jumps , 5lb lower and 2.5lb upper! Illl be going to triples next Intensity day

10-15 volume day

squat - 365x5x5 (rep PR)
    bench press - 287x5x5
    DL - 365x5

10-17 recovery day

light squat - 290x5x2 beltless
    press - 177x5x3
    chins - 8,8,8
    back ext - 12,12,12

much better than i expected. my lower back has a lot of fatigue from volume day and uncharacteristically physically demanding duties at work. a year ago i would have skipped this one to let my back and body "recover" before training again. no wonder i was always plateau'd. my back feels 1000x better after training light today. i guess these SS guys know what they are doing

10-19 Intensity Day #3

squat
    - 395x5
    bench press - 307x5
    DL - 415x2 (f) fuck dead lifting what is going on, 415x1

the plan was to go to triples today, but squats actually felt good so i did 5, same with bench. i figured i could get 5 on the DL too bc i did 410x5 2 weeks ago pretty handily. the first two reps moved well but mid 3rd rep i was done, no more pull at all. its like i hit a wall. on video i can see i sort of rocked back on my heels instead of staying over it, which killed all my momentum. went back to do another double and could only get a single. ive done 405x5 and 410x5 this month so im not sure whats up. i cant tell if i need more pulling or less. i will say my job has had me leaning over, working on my knees hammering....so my back is a little more fatigued than usual but thats weird how the squats felt good...might start a 4 day TM rather than the traditional 3day so i can get some more pulling volume during the week????

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    i figured i could get 5 on the DL too bc i did 410x5 2 weeks ago pretty handily. the first two reps moved well but mid 3rd rep i was done, no more pull at all. its like i hit a wall. on video i can see i sort of rocked back on my heels instead of staying over it, which killed all my momentum. went back to do another double and could only get a single. ive done 405x5 and 410x5 this month so im not sure whats up. i cant tell if i need more pulling or less. i will say my job has had me leaning over, working on my knees hammering....so my back is a little more fatigued than usual but thats weird how the squats felt good...might start a 4 day TM rather than the traditional 3day so i can get some more pulling volume during the week????
    Cole, having done TM for probably a year or longer, I know how you feel. Since you're constantly grinding 5RM's, every week everything has to go perfectly (you can't have additional job stresses) and also easy to 'overtrain' (over fatigue) when constantly doing high intensity. I used to think the trick to that is just deload a bit and continue. Almost like a ladder... two steps forward, one step back, etc. I didn't see it at the time, but it wasn't optimal.

If you're considering switching programs, consider high volume + high intensity programs. After switching it's like a whole new world for me. More gain less pain

Either way, wish you the best... amazed at how much progress you're making on your bench... it's insane. Oh and cute kid

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Cole, having done TM for probably a year or longer, I know how you feel. Since you're constantly grinding 5RM's, every week everything has to go perfectly (you can't have additional job stresses) and also easy to 'overtrain' (over fatigue) when constantly doing high intensity. I used to think the trick to that is just deload a bit and continue. Almost like a ladder... two steps forward, one step back, etc. I didn't see it at the time, but it wasn't optimal.

If you're considering switching programs, consider high volume + high intensity programs. After switching it's like a whole new world for me. More gain less pain

Either way, wish you the best... amazed at how much progress you're making on your bench... it's insane. Oh and cute kid
    thanks BBB, more gains less pains, i like it, but looking at your log i think your sessions would kill me. anyway, im thinking about switching programs/models to another brand other than SS so i may be moving my log along too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    thanks BBB, more gains less pains, i like it, but looking at your log i think your sessions would kill me. anyway, im thinking about switching programs/models to another brand other than SS so i may be moving my log along too.
    Only seems that way. The relative intensity is much lower -- despite the weights being so much higher, -- as evidenced by the very short rest intervals. Pretty much all the work is done in the @8-8.5 range. I'm usually not resting at all working up to singles/volume and 2-minute rests between sets. It takes a little longer time, but it wouldn't kill you . Especially if you spread the volume over 4-days. I don't have that luxury.

Anyway, curious what you'll switch to... will be watching to see how it works out for you.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast