starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Metamorphosis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Gym was full; so I had to press on a shitty bench and had to do bent over rows instead of pendlay rows today. Well, I had a nice pump on the rows lol.

Pause Squats (Beltlesss): 260 x 6 x 3 @ RPE 8
    Close Grip Bench: 205 x 6 x 3 @ RPE 8
    Bent-Over Rows: 90 x 15 x 4

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiric Aura View Post

Pause Squats (Beltlesss): 355 x 5 x 3 @ RPE 7
    Close Grip Bench: 200 x 5 x 3 @ RPE 6
    AMRAP Deadlifts (Beltless): 245 x 5 x 1, 295 x 5 x 1, 345 x 5 x 1 @ RPE 9
    Anyways...

I realize I made mistake there its meant to be 255 x 5 x 3 not 355.

Squats flew up. Bench; I rested too long and I happen to have a decent conversation with a guy thats into powerlifting. I wanted to do deadlifts, but I was running out of time. Deadlifts for the next two weeks; we'll just be doing heavy singles and back off triples... Then I'll use the same programming it for squats and bench.

Squats w/belt: 320 x 4 x 4 @ RPE 8.5
    TnG Bench: 245 x 4 x 4 @ RPE 8.5
    Rear Delt Row: 90 x 15 x 3

No gym last week. Didn't have enough expenses... Fastest workout; I've ever done (under an hour).

Squats w/o belt: 310 x 1 x 4 @ RPE 6
    TnG Bench: 245 x 6 x 1 @ RPE 10
    Rear Delt Row: 130 x 15 x 3

Bar accidently shifted upwards on my back; so i squatted high bar and hurt my knees... Light pec is feeling tight and finish off with RDL. Lowered the volume for the whole workout. I've done a workout a few days ago as well; not going to record that...

Squats w/o belt: 285 x 7 x 1 @9, TnG Bench: 230 x 7 x 2 @8.5 , RDL: 175 x 8 x 2 @6

My knee's were feeling like shit... If the knees acted up again than I'll focus on deadlift; I'll give squats one more try

Thursday - 8/10/2017

Leg Ext, Hamstring Curl, Hip Abductor/Adductor: 355 x 2 x 1 @ RPE 8
    Machine Chest Press, Shoulder Press: 150 x 10 x 3, 110 x 10 x3
    Machine Row, Bicep Curls, Tricep Extension: 100 x 10 x 3, 60 x 10 x 3, 70 x 10 x 3

Saturday - 8/12/2017

Squats w/ belt: 355 x 2 x 1 @ RPE 8
    TnG Bench: 275 x 3 x 1 @ RPE 10, 260 x 3 x 1 @ RPE 9
    Deadlift: 420 x 1 x 1 @ RPE 9.5

Accessories (Superset/Circuit): Machine Shoulder Press 70 x 10 x 3, Side Delts 60 x 10 x 3, Rear Delts 60 x 10 x 3

My knee's had gotten worser... I'll see how pause squats and squats w/belts (on saturday) pans out; if not then I'll try to do two pause squat sessions (after deadlifting/benching) and one heavy squat session w/belt (to atleast make minimal strength gains). I realize that doing high rep squats doesn't do good for my knee's... I couldn't complete benching because my chest was too pumped that it gave out early.

Tuesday - 8/15/2017

Squats w/o belt: 285 x 8 x 1 @ RPE 9, 285 x 1 x 1 (stopped on the first rep; my knee started to hurt).
    TnG Bench: 230 x 8 x 1 @ RPE 8, 230 x 4 x 2 @ RPE 10
    Deadlift: 295 x 8 x 3 @ RPE 7 (It was a breeze; the only thing I've completed today lol)

Accessories (Superset): Machine Bicep Curl 70 x 8 x 3, Machine Tricep Extensions 80 x 10 x 3

Looks like I'm going to have stick with the same weights for squats and bench next time except for deadlifts.

Even my knees hurt on heavy deadlifts, gah... I'll try again in a week; if this doesn't work out than I'll just spend the remaining year to lose/cut weight. Also I've been plauteing on bench. Instead of going for 220kg/484lb squat, 150kg/331lb bench, and 240kg/529lb; I'll opt for 210kg/463lb Squat, 140kg/308lb Bench, and Deadlift 230kg/507lb this year....

Some day
    I wanted to get 330 x 4 x 4 on squats, but only did one set with excruciating knee pain... Felt demotivated not to bench

Some other day
    A little better; i got 375 x 4 x 4 on deadlifts, wanted to bench for 260 x 4 x 4, and worked up to a certain weight, and decided that it was impossible to do.

I'll have to repeat the first week of B.L.E.S.T the dup/autoreg/rpe program; if this doesn't work well I guess I'll switch to 5/3/1 (lower the frequency) and do a little more accessories, and attempt to lose as much fat as I can by the end of this year.

Well, suffered from knee pain, and the flu over the past week.... Knee's are a little better; just gotta keep my breathes in the hole consistent. Also I switched programs from BLEST to Heavy Light Medium (By Andy Baker); I need to do a routine that doesn't go over 5 reps on squats. Anytime I go above 5 reps; I'm in a big chance for a knee injury to happen... Lost 4kg/10lbs over the past week; hope to keep it off. Planning to lose another 25lb over the next few months.

Squats w/ Belt: 285 x 5 x 3
    TnG Bench: 220 x 5 x 3, 155 x 10 x 2 (Closegrip Bench'ed it)
    TnG Deadlifts w/o Belt: 365 x 5 x 1 (The only lift that's consistent and feeling good).

Finished off with some hammer curls.

Hey man, nice log. Pretty detailed. I was basically in your situation about a year ago. 5'10", 240ish, 500 squat, 300 bench, 500 deadlift in competition but my knees and elbows hurt all the time and eventually got pretty burned out/sick of lifting/tired of being so fat that it made moving difficult. I don't usually chime in on people stuff but I saw the HLM by Andy Baker and I wanted to let you know that I think that is a step in the right direction. The guy really knows what he is talking about when it comes to lifting and programming for people who aren't Superman and have jobs/lives. He is also pretty accessible to ask questions and his youtube channel is gold.

Heres what I did to kind of change things up and get back to feeling better:

1. Get the weight off (down to 205 now), ; this has basically eliminated knee pain, mine was between the shin and knee, probably from not squatting deep enough consistently because I was more concerned with numbers than form. That plus the extra 35lbs I was carrying around... I just used Avatar Nutrition, does the macros for you, 10 bucks a month or something like that. No need to overthink. My lifts have dropped some but I think when I hit the turn around and start adding weight again slowly they will come back, 512 squat @ 242 vs 415 squat @ 205, 309 bench @ 242 vs 285 @205... etc.

2. Signed up for Baker Barbell Club and let Andy do the programming for awhile. This has been nice because of the other guys doing it, some stronger, some weaker but all real people with real lives.

3. I switched from LBBS to a High Bar Back Squat, blasphemous on here I know, but man my elbows feel better.

Hopefully some of that helps. Keep up the good work. I tell myself all the time, its a journey not a sprint.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CamLeslie View Post
    Hey man, nice log. Pretty detailed. I was basically in your situation about a year ago. 5'10", 240ish, 500 squat, 300 bench, 500 deadlift in competition but my knees and elbows hurt all the time and eventually got pretty burned out/sick of lifting/tired of being so fat that it made moving difficult. I don't usually chime in on people stuff but I saw the HLM by Andy Baker and I wanted to let you know that I think that is a step in the right direction. The guy really knows what he is talking about when it comes to lifting and programming for people who aren't Superman and have jobs/lives. He is also pretty accessible to ask questions and his youtube channel is gold.

Heres what I did to kind of change things up and get back to feeling better:

1. Get the weight off (down to 205 now), ; this has basically eliminated knee pain, mine was between the shin and knee, probably from not squatting deep enough consistently because I was more concerned with numbers than form. That plus the extra 35lbs I was carrying around... I just used Avatar Nutrition, does the macros for you, 10 bucks a month or something like that. No need to overthink. My lifts have dropped some but I think when I hit the turn around and start adding weight again slowly they will come back, 512 squat @ 242 vs 415 squat @ 205, 309 bench @ 242 vs 285 @205... etc.

2. Signed up for Baker Barbell Club and let Andy do the programming for awhile. This has been nice because of the other guys doing it, some stronger, some weaker but all real people with real lives.

3. I switched from LBBS to a High Bar Back Squat, blasphemous on here I know, but man my elbows feel better.

Hopefully some of that helps. Keep up the good work. I tell myself all the time, its a journey not a sprint.
    Hello CamLeslie!

It really is great that you empathizes with me! Or someone having had similar situation I'm facing right now. My move to HLM is to lower the reps; especially on squats and I want to also use my belt more. I need to stay tight in the hole as well with proper breathing; all to lessen up on the knee pain.

I used to squat high bar (which places more stress on my knees than low bar). So I had to switch to low bar squats, but in the past I've gotten elbow from it. The main reason why I squatted high bar at the first place is to get away from elbow pain. However, I founded something; which is to make a proper shelving between your rear delts and let the weight distribute on your back not hands/wrist. The main reason I squat low bar right now is to avoid knee pain and shift more of the load towards my hips/back.

Its great to hear you signed up with the baker barbell club and avatar nutrition; I personally can't afford it. Yes, I'm really that broke. Most of my money goes towards the gym and milk (cheapest source of protein) lol.

Also congratulations on your weight loss. I too feel like having more fat does more harm than good. I feel like being overweight also causes inflammation on the joints. I was 260lb in the past and squatted down with it being top heavy places too much load on the knees.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast