starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice LP as a competitor

Default Novice LP as a competitor

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    21 years old. 5'9 96kg at 20-23% bodyfat.
    Been doing strength training for about a year but following Jordan Feigenbaum's advice and Austin Baraki I started LP.
    I've been working with Carl Raghavan in the UK to sort my technique and it's coming along nicely.

I don't know if this should go in the LP section or here but as I have competed twice before I feel here is best.

My best lifts so far are:
    Squat - 195kg (430lbs)
    Bench - 117.5kg (260lbs)
    Deadlift - 205kg. (450lbs)

My last workout is:
    Squat 3x5 - 185kg
    Bench 3x5 - 100kg
    Deadlift 1x5 - 190kg

I think I've bought novice LP pretty far. Squats are 410lbs for 3x5 and I'm increasing 10lbs a workout, 20lbs with deadlift but only 5lbs on upper body movements

I'm thinking to change my programming a little to have:
    keep squats as 3x5 until this stops. hopefully after 220kg (495lbs for 3x5) then move on to advanced novice for squats
    bench and press i decided to add more volume by way of accessory movements (incline bench and db press) this is for extra volume and maintaining mental sanity
    deadlift i will keep it as is and do 1 day of gpp 7 mins back and 7 min abs

Here are a few videos from my last few workouts.

405lbs squat 3x5

420lbs deadlift 3x5

Anyway this is a new thread soley because I wanted to change the name

Any advice would be greatfully recieved

arfy

two days ago i did squats 185kg (410lbs) 3x5 and thenbench 225lbs 3x5 and paused deadlifts 310lbs 3x8

Today was meant to be squats 190kg (420lbs) 3x5. but in the second set i failed the fourth rep and was drained to continue the session.

I dont know what to do next 3x3 or have a light squat day etc.

looking at the first three question article i think i jumped too high in the weights and also was probably under recovered for it. If anyone knows what to do and if any SSC or veteren reads this please advise. I want to keep LP going so will look at jordan feigenbaums article on why people fail linear progression. but i may have jumped too high 10lbs each session 3x a week.

please help
    Last edited by a.r.f.y; 08-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Missed reps on deadlift too so its been abit funny but im still working on what to do. heres a scene from my last work 200kg ~ 450 lbs for 3 reps and missed the fourth. I know what i'm going to do in terms of programming ive been doing a lot of reading articles nad PPST3 so thats going to be in my next post.

arfy

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    What were your lifts before you started the LP?

Have you read Jordan and Austin's "The Bridge"? This might be better for you.
    Hi mgilchrest

I basically was training before and did my best lifts without SS, the mistake I made was talked about in "the first three questions" article which was too big jumps. I made 20Lb jumps on deadlift and 10 on squats whereas the book recommends 5lbs on both so maybe i was abit hasty.

In all honesty I have read it and do those things on all my movements except squats which was going really well so I didn't want to move to an intermediate programme without it being absolutely necessary.

In PPST3 it says a mans deadlift can move 15lbs per workout and squat 10lbs so this is sort of what i did and it worked for a few weeks as the book said so I'm going to keep some form of linear progression before absolutely necessary.

Now i think that's done and i'm going to drop the weight to two sessions ago and build up using 5lbs jumps instead of such big ones. What do you thin of this?

So what my plan is for the next week:
    Squat: 405lbs for 3x5
    Bench 225lbs for 3x5
    Rack pull: 405 for 3x8
    Chins 7 mins amrap

Squat: 410lbs for 3x5
    Press: 140lbs for 3x5
    Powerclean: 155lbs for 5x3
    Chins 7 mins amrap

Squat:415lbs for 3x5
    Close grip bench: 200lbs for 5x10 from rpe7 to rpe 9x2sets
    Deadlift: 495 for 1x5

What do you think mate?

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    how long have you been lifting and what did you lift before SS?

Check out The Bridge from barbellmedicine.com (Jordan and Austin's collaboration)
    my best squat was around 430lbs, bench around 240 and deadlift around 390 for 5 .

around a year, i did 531 boring but big and other random stuff but i can definately still see some novice progression for myself what do you think? Carl Raghavan SS coach in uk said to keep doing novice last time we spoke but its been a while

In the article "the novice Effect" mark rip discusses a dude called Bryan who was in a similar postion had been lifitng but didnt do a novice LP so thats the sort of protocol im thinking of
    Last edited by a.r.f.y; 08-12-2017 at 06:09 PM.

What were your lifts* before you started the LP?

Have you read Jordan and Austin's "The Bridge"? This might be better for you.

*For sets across.
    squats best was 315 fro 5, didnt do reps after that
    bench 190lbs for 5
    deadlift 390lbs for 5

this was with no technique i hadnt heard of starting strength or low bar squat before this

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Yeah, you can finish LP. When you stall, I'd switch to something else, but not Texas Method.

Also, if your goal is to get strong and you won't be doing Olympic weightlifting, I'd ditch the power cleans for some type of row, pulldown, etc.
    How come you don't like texas method?
    Sure yeh I wouldn't mind ditching them lol, some pendlay rows..don't if I do.

I had a look at your training log, mate you are a beast. some impressive numbers and really cool to see how you progressed

Your upcoming week looks okay for now. Like KotJ mentions, there are better pulling accessories if you're just looking to do the powerlifting movements.

Take an earnest look at The Bridge layout and see if it will fit your schedule. Given that you're not truly a novice, and you have a good level of strength now, I think integrating the autoregulation introduced there as well as the rep range cycling would be a wise step.
    Cool man I will definately have a look at the bridge and give it some throrough thought (even essentially start doing the bridge but keep squats going as they are now - i think i have a lot of LP left in them tbh)

Today I started a light week before I move into a "the bridge " style programme where i would have a light squat day. a mix of advance novice and the bridge. hopefully this would work.

I hit 405 for one set of 5, rackpull 315 for two sets of 5 and press 135x5.

In reality i look a light week because i feel banged up. my LP started at 265lbs squat and now is around 410lbs so i think a small week of light work is due before kicking it hard and my calories and sleep is terrible right now so hopefully this week gives me a chance to fix it

arfy

Default wed 16/8/17

starting strength coach development program
    So I read starting strength novice section on stalling and contacted strength coach about what to do. he told me reduce the load by 10% and sort of keep going. with smaller jumps of 2.5kg ~ 5lbs as the book says

keep programming as is now until the next stall,

so today was

squat: 1 set of 5 with 160kg 350lbs ~ 10% less
    Press: 2 x5 : 50kg 110~ 10kg less
    GHR 3x15
    chins: 24

chins are so hard for me lol did 8x2 and 8 singles

hopefully big numbers coming soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast