starting strength gym
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: BBB's Training Logs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Time: <120-min

Feelz: A little sore going in, but got to sleep in today.

Beltless Conv. DL: 135x5, 225x5, 315x2, 365x1, 405x1, 425x1, 355x5 x 5sets

TnG Bench: 45x8, 135x4, 185x4, 225x4, 240x4 x 6 sets

Front Squat: 45x7, 135x7, 185x7, 215x7 x 6 sets
    - Stopped wearing knee sleeves, knees feel a lot better

Incline DB Press: 75x8 x 6 sets

Time: <75-mins

Feelz: Good! Even better after, felt a little under-worked

Squat: 45x8, 135x5, 225x5, 315x2, 365x1, 405x1, 425x1, 447.5x1 @ 8, 375x5 x 5 sets
    - Single a little misgrooved, but still @8
    - Volume felt light last week and feels light again this week; 2-mins between sets

P. Bench: 45x10, 135x4, 185x4, 225x4, 235x4 x 6 sets

RDLs: 135x7, 245x7 x 6 sets

Time: 90-mins

Feelz: Good

C. Bench: 45x8, 135x5, 185x3, 225x1, 245x1, 265x1, 285x1 @9, 230x5 x 6-sets
    - Single and volume felt heavy again... if 265 feels heavy next week, drop 5 lbs across the board
    - Given how easy OHP was today, I don't think my strength is suffering; maybe slow to warm up in the cold? Bad bar path? Lack concentration?

P. Squat: 45x8, 135x4, 225x4, 340x4 x 6 sets

OHP: 45x7, 95x7, 120x7 x 6 sets

Chinups: 3x10

Hey, BBB!

Since you did your write-up on Jordan's Int/Adv program, I thought I'd give it a try. So far, I'm almost done with the first 4 weeks and am looking forward to week 5 (deload). Starting to feel a bit beat-up on squats and deadlifts, but I think the switch to higher intensity will help. Here's what I've found so far:

-More pressing volume than I've ever done. I think it's helping my stubborn bench.
    -I hate front squats.
    -I hate sets of 7.
    -Not sure I've got the hang of RPE, but I'm getting better at it.

Just wondering how you do after the first 4 weeks of each program cycle - do you feel fresh coming out of those weeks or is the deload week something you look forward to?
    What's the latest report on your gainzzz?

Thanks for introducing the program!

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    Hey, BBB!
    Since you did your write-up on Jordan's Int/Adv program,...Thanks for introducing the program!
    Hey BBB, I really liked that write up you did too. Started doing Tom's template in April, then moved over to Jordan's. I did that continuation thing too. I'm 51, now on second week of his 12 wk strength program, setting PRs (in the gym at least) and doing fine with the prescribed intensity and volume. BTW, he's got a great deal going on today.

Hey, BBB!

Since you did your write-up on Jordan's Int/Adv program, I thought I'd give it a try. So far, I'm almost done with the first 4 weeks and am looking forward to week 5 (deload). Starting to feel a bit beat-up on squats and deadlifts, but I think the switch to higher intensity will help. Here's what I've found so far:
    If you're feeling beat up, maybe the intensity is too high, you're not eating enough or other life/personal factors?

-More pressing volume than I've ever done. I think it's helping my stubborn bench.
    Excellent! My bench was 'stubborn' as well! Still is!!

-I hate front squats.
    Same... but I do them anyway. I like that they can put a huge load on my quads without heavy weights. Tempo's seem to accomplish the same, but I like the quad dominance on front squats. They suck though, not gonna lie...

-I hate sets of 7.
    LOL... same! Mind over matter though...

-Not sure I've got the hang of RPE, but I'm getting better at it.
    Good, only way to get better is to practice

Just wondering how you do after the first 4 weeks of each program cycle - do you feel fresh coming out of those weeks or is the deload week something you look forward to?
    What's the latest report on your gainzzz?
    I actually haven't done deload weeks... usually life will get in the way and I skip a day here and there. That's not to say deloads aren't valuable; I guess I just haven't been stressed enough yet to really need it. I just try to never exceed RPE 9, especially for the main lifts and keep humming along.

If you ever feel like you're starting to grind, contort, have form breakdown or anything else which won't let you do another rep, then stop and reassess.

Thanks for introducing the program!
    All thanks should be directed at Jordan, but glad that my post made you aware of it. Good luck, update that thread with your experience once you've used it for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingCellist View Post
    Hey BBB, I really liked that write up you did too. Started doing Tom's template in April, then moved over to Jordan's. I did that continuation thing too. I'm 51, now on second week of his 12 wk strength program, setting PRs (in the gym at least) and doing fine with the prescribed intensity and volume. BTW, he's got a great deal going on today.
    Thanks! Tom's you mean Izzy's? Is it public? Link?

Glad you're making progress on Jordan's program. I suspect it's something similar to what I'm doing? I'll go through your logs

I've been watching Jordan's, Austin's and Alan's video's, so I think I have a pretty good flavor for their programming style. If I ever take on professional coaching, it'll be with them.

Time: 110-min

Feelz: Ok..

Beltless Conv. DL: 135x5, 225x5, 315x2, 365x1, 405x1, 430x1, 360x5 x 5sets
    - Not happy with back on the last rep of set 5

TnG Bench: 45x8, 135x4, 185x4, 225x4, 242.5x4 x 6 sets

Front Squat: 45x7, 135x7, 220x7 x 6 sets

Incline DB Press: 80x8 x 6 sets
    - Feel a slight pain in the left shoulder. Something clicked on the 5th set...

Nice workout. Wish I had your shoulder mobility j- I'm jealous - front squats looked good!

When I was talking about a deload, I meant Jordan's program past the first 4 weeks. It's not on the BB medicine website, but I think it was in his newsletter. Someone posted it on your thread about Jordan's program. If I recall, week 5 looks like a deload, and then it switches to a different set of workouts for the following 3 weeks with higher intensity/lower volume. Just wondering if you did that or you had done something else?

Nice workout. Wish I had your shoulder mobility j- I'm jealous - front squats looked good!
    Really? Looks like crap to me. When I look at my video's all I see are problems, but it's fun to see the progress. Thanks by the way.

When I was talking about a deload, I meant Jordan's program past the first 4 weeks. It's not on the BB medicine website, but I think it was in his newsletter. Someone posted it on your thread about Jordan's program. If I recall, week 5 looks like a deload, and then it switches to a different set of workouts for the following 3 weeks with higher intensity/lower volume. Just wondering if you did that or you had done something else?
    Dude! I just went through your log... you're lifting more than me... I should be asking YOU for advice! Lol

My guess why I haven't needed deloads yet is two fold:
    1. I'm still a newb (not advanced enough)
    2. My goal isn't to push intensity, but to push volume

Earlier you mentioned that you feel beat up. Although our squat and bench singles are almost identical, I see that your volume weight, following the single, is higher than mine. I don't know if it's because you have a different type of work capacity, rest intervals, you're better at grinding, etc? Do you have video's?

This may not be applicable to you, but I'll share an anecdote... as it may be useful. When I was on TM, the whole goal was to push intensity... always. I was able to grind heavy weights, but I would feel beat up, even with the relatively low volume. So at some point I reduced my rest intervals and dropped volume intensity just slightly. The result is I still felt soreness and was getting good stimulus, but not feeling beat up because of it. Even today, my goal isn't to maximize each lift every day. I care about the total volume/intensity for the week, so I don't try and push any specific day. Hope that makes sense.

By the way, speaking of deloads, if you haven't seen this video, might be worth watching - even if to reaffirm what you already know:

Last edited by BBB; 11-25-2017 at 10:59 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Thanks! Tom's you mean Izzy's? Is it public? Link?
    Yes, Izzy. I read his posts in several threads in the forum, looked over his website and ordered the e-book here

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast