starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats, Snatches, Cleans, and Jerks: Max's Journey to Weightlifting Victory

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings Max. Love seeing a young fellow on this site going for it with the O.L.'s.

No way intending to try to tell you how to train - people your age know everything, especially more than their parents.

But ...... it would probably be good for you, down the track, to spend most of your lift practice with weights light enough to be done in perfect form.

Like, starting light, and only increasing the weight until your form gets wobbly, then halting. I know, you can always lift more by bulling the weights up, but long term it is best to establish great technique at the start, while building your strength with the power exercises.

That way, when you hit the platform, you can do bigger lifts without injury.

Feel free to reject this advice, and to try to insult me.

Sunday - June 10, 2018

Squatmore Powerlifting Club Front Squat Championships.

1st Attempt - 95kg - 3 Whites. RPE - zzz

2nd Attempt - 102.5kg - 3 Whites. RPE - 8-9

3rd Attempt - 110kg - 3 Whites. RPE 9.5

Fun Front Squat meet. Surprised I hit 110, I was only expecting to hit 105 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by 76now View Post
    Greetings Max. Love seeing a young fellow on this site going for it with the O.L.'s.

No way intending to try to tell you how to train - people your age know everything, especially more than their parents.

But ...... it would probably be good for you, down the track, to spend most of your lift practice with weights light enough to be done in perfect form.

Like, starting light, and only increasing the weight until your form gets wobbly, then halting. I know, you can always lift more by bulling the weights up, but long term it is best to establish great technique at the start, while building your strength with the power exercises.

That way, when you hit the platform, you can do bigger lifts without injury.

Feel free to reject this advice, and to try to insult me.
    What's up 76,

I've been starting to plan my next block of training to begin after this meet prep is done. Basically, I'm going to be doing 1 weightlifting session a week where I'm only going to be working up to a single miss beltless on both lifts. That way I keep the intensity fairly low and can focus on technique more. Also lots more power, hang, and block work along with heavy pulls. I appreciate the advice. I think I'll post a video of a few sets after tomorrow's session.

Nice plan, Max. Just the ticket.
    I'll check your lifts & offer opinion, if you like. i'm a state level referee, & have a good eye. Although my own technique has gone to pot, after catching the plague overseas a few years back.Lost my sense of balance, so had to resort to the split technique.
    Nice work on the front squat.

Monday - June 11, 2018

Olympic Volume Day (aka death)

Snatch - 140lbsx2 (2X), 2 (2X), 2 (1X), 2X, 2, 2X, 2 (2X), 2 (2X). I tried a way bigger jump on these than I should have from last week's session (given it was a perfect session) and bombed out today. Might retry for my singles next week as I begin my taper (per PPST3).

Clean and Jerk - 185x1, XJ, XC, XC, XC, XC, 165x1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, XJ, 1, 1. 185lbs was not moving and after 5 fails in a row, I dropped to 165 (10% off) and had a much better session. Technique was worked a lot more and overall, performed better. Missed one of my last jerks but only since I didn't readjust my grip properly after the clean (I clean with my hands in the middle of the first knurling and move them to the edge, right next to the smooth part, basically a proper press grip) for the jerk.

Decent session, felt really beat up after this one. Going to try to increase the weight 5lbs for the clean&jerk and keep it steady for the snatch, no more doubles so shouldn't be as brutal or difficult.

Tuesday - June 12, 2018

Strength Volume Day.

Squats - 225x5x5. Easy work with all sets below RPE9. Glad to be throwing around 2 plates for 5x5 on high bar - Texas Method seems to have worked well for this.

Push Press - 155x5x5. Thankfully, I was able to make these, although the last rep was certainly a grinder with some layback.

Chin Ups - Bodyweight x 8, 7, 6. No change here and my bodyweight seems to be increasing so I'll take this as some strength increase.

I was feeling super beat up from yesterdays session the entire day - I feel like my body needs a bit of a deload (which hopefully, the taper will provide) but had a surprisingly great session. 1 month out and I feel stronger than ever.

Thursday - June 14, 2018

Olympic Intensity Day.

Snatch: 145, 150, 155, 160X, 160 PR, 165X, 165X, 165X. Tried looking down in the catch (as taught by Chinese coaches) and I felt infinitely stronger in the catch position. Good session.

Clean and Jerk: 205X, 205X, 205, 210X, 210X, 210X. I started these heavier than I should have; I was hoping that by taking less heavy attempts below my PR, I would be less fatigued when it came time to set a new one. Unfortunately, this did not happen, and I missed most of my attempts.

Front Squat: 215x3x3. Grindy McGrind.

I had not eaten a complete breakfast today and had to wake up an hour earlier than usual. As such, this session sorta sucked.

Saturday - June 16, 2018

Strength Intensity Day.

Squat: 275x1x5. Did them low bar and I honestly really liked it. I think - I'm going to use the high-bar squat to develop my squat more and use the low-bar for intensity work/to test my strength. For my intensity days next block, in other words.

Push Press: 185x1x5. Missed the 1st try but didn't rerack and got it on the second try - just needed a little exposure to the weight. Got the rest fine.

Deadlift: 295x2 (failed 3rd). Dissapointment. I was honestly not warm enough and I overestimated my strength with straps. Wanted the 5RM but couldn't get it.

Worked out with a friend who I'm teaching to lift today. Workout was pretty good nonetheless and I had a good time. Last day of normal TM Training before the Taper begins.

Monday - June 18, 2018

Olympic Volume Day.

Snatch: 140X (dropped fwd), 140, 140, 140, 140X (fell back after catch), 140X (caught but didn't stand up soon enough - bar fell fwd after a fight), 140X (dropped fwd), 140. Misses could have been avoided, dumb misses.

Clean and jerk: 170, 170, 170, 170X, 170, 170, 170, 170. Didn't push hard enough on that missed jerk, corrected on next rep and almost threw the bar because it shot up so fast.

So begins the taper.

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday - June 19, 2018

Dynamic Effort Strength Day.

Squat: 195x2x10 EMOM. These are brutal.

Push Press: 130x3x10 EMOM. These are even more brutal.

Chin Ups: BW x 8, 8, 6. No problems.

Okay DE is brutal. Short workouts though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast