starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Baker's Log (Back to the Platform)

Default Andy Baker's Log (Back to the Platform)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I had some grand plans to start competing again this year in both Power Lifting and Strength Lifting Meets after about 8 years away from competitive lifting.

Unfortunately, my "epic comeback" was derailed two workouts into my first meet prep cycle back in May. On May 7th I ruptured my right bicep tendon during a set of speed deadlifts and had it surgically reattached May 14th.

Was in a sling for about 6-7 weeks after the surgery. After 8 weeks with no lifting at all (i.e. I didn't do Jack Shit) I got back into the gym and started the slow crawl back.

During those initial post op weeks I had a lot of atrophy on the entire right side of my upper body, and obviously lost a lot of strength. First Bench workout back in the gym was 95 x 5 x 3 and it was hard. First press workout was 35 lbs x 5 x 3 and it was hard.

But the strength came back quickly and most weeks I was in the gym 6 days per week doing the movements that I could. I didn't deadlift at all until this week, but I started RDLs a couple of months ago.

Low Bar Squats have been a challenge as I've had some complications with my shoulder due to being in the sling for so many weeks. I started with Front Squats and High Bar Squats and have gradually transitioned back to low bar again.

At now 4.5 months (~18 weeks) post op, I'm back to doing all my regular exercises (except pull ups and chin ups). Bicep is still weak, and grip in my right hand is still weak, but I can basically train as normal.

So.......In order to get my training back on track, I've signed up for a USAPL meet on February 24th which is about 5 months away. Hoping this training cycle goes a little better than the last one!

Week 1 / Day 1 - Bench + Upper Assistance (Sat 9/22)

1. Bench Press (touch n go) - worked up to 315 x 1. Happy with this as a starting point. Last heavy bench session prior to this was 280x4.
    2. Speed Bench Press 10 x 3 x 185 (~60%). All reps paused. 1 min rests
    3. Incline DB Press 3 x 10-15
    4. Lat Pulldowns 3 x 10
    5. Dips 3 x 10
    6. Hammer Curls 3 x 12
    7. Lying DB Tricep Extension (on incline bench) 3 x 10-15
    *Superset Lat Pulls & Dips, superset curls and LTE

Week 1 / Day 2 - Squat & Deadlift (Mon 9/24)

1. Low Bar Squat - worked up to 455 x 1. Probably good for 475-485 but didn't want to get too heavy too fast. Haven't had more than 405 on my back in several months. Fine with this as a starting point
    2. Deadlift - worked up to 495 x 1. Happy with this as starting point. I've switched my grip to left hand supinated, right hand over the top and it feels very awkward and weak. Grip strength in right hand is limiting factor. Squats, RDLs, BB Rows, and other assorted assistance exercises did a good job of bringing up the deadlift without actually deadlifting. Wasn't sure how this would go today.
    3. Deadlift (back offs) 365 x 5 x 3. easy, 2 min rest
    4. Lying Leg Curls 3 x 10-15
    5. 45 Degree Back Extension 3 x 15

You got this Andy! I'm really looking forward to reading your log! Please do maintain it if you can (although I am sure you are super busy), I think I speak for all of us when I say we are quite interested in your training!

Awesome! I have been waiting for you to start up a new log. Will diligently follow along.

I'll be following along too. I assume the USAPL meet in the one in San Antonio?

Yes, it’s in San Antonio. Closest meet I could find that fit the approx date I was targeting.

Welcome back, Andy. Looking forward to seeing you back on the platform. Try and keep up with your log this time!

Count me as another follower. I've been using your Strength and Mass After 40 program for about a year now, and it has made an enormous difference in my training. So, thanks!

Thanks everyone for your support! Glad to be back in the swing of things and I will do my best to keep up with my log this time around!

Week 1 / Day 3 - Light Bench + Upper Assistance (Weds 9/26)

1. Paused Bench Press 5 x 5 x 225 (~70%). 3-5 sec pauses on each rep.
    2. Incline Bench Press 3 x 8 x 225. 1st set easy, 3rd set was all out to failure.
    3. Chest Supported Row (life fitness machine) 5 x 10-12 + 1 drop set x 8
    4. V-Grip Pulldowns 3 x 12
    5. Side Delt Raises - 100 total reps (20 lb DBs) 1 set of 30 to failure and then 7 sets of 10 on 20-30 second rests.

Hey Andy, Whats your split looking like leading up to meet and progression on your heavy/lighter days? Big fan of your youtube videos and have both your ggw and classic hlm programs so i could follow something by a professional but also to get an idea on how to set up my own programs moving forward. Good luck mate.

starting strength coach development program
    I’ve got 5 months to prepare, so basically the emphasis right now is to put some muscle mass back on. With the surgery and layoff from training I experienced a lot of atrophy, especially in the right side of my upper body.

I’ll be training 4 days per week - 2 Bench Days, 2 Squat/DL days with a lot of assistance work for now. I respond really well to bodybuilding style assistance type work when trying to put on muscle.

Will be training my back a little bit on 3-4 days per week. Feel like I lost quite a bit of muscle here over last few months. For the main lifts I’ll be trying to build back my base with a higher volume approach for now and then progressively get heavier as I get closer to the meet.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast