52 Weeks To My 1st USAPL Raw Nationals as a Masters 1 (age 40-49) Lifter 52 Weeks To My 1st USAPL Raw Nationals as a Masters 1 (age 40-49) Lifter - Page 6

starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 52 Weeks To My 1st USAPL Raw Nationals as a Masters 1 (age 40-49) Lifter

Default End of Last Week

Sunday morning weight check: 212.8 lbs. That's the same weight 2 weeks in a row.

I'm exhausted, and have been for a few days. I can't even pinpoint why. I'm not any more sleep deprived than normal, so I don't know what the reason is. Regardless, that's primarily why I haven't trained since Friday. But hopefully, I'll get back in there tomorrow some time after work. Meanwhile, thank you in advance for reading Friday's log entry:

Fri. 5/3/19

Alternated sets of 1-3

1. Double Handed Lawn Mowers - wrapped a band around the bottom of the rack, and pulled up fast like an exaggerated lawn mower start

12 right + 12 left
    12 left + 12 right
    12 right
    12 left

2. Bench Press
    115/6
    165/6
    215/6 @8 RPE
    215/6 @7
    215/6 @6

Finding my groove and fixing my foot placement made these get easier as I went along.

3. Snatch Grip RDL
    135/12
    185/6 + 6 - I had to sit the bar down for a few moments because my grip was struggling.
    225/12 x 3 sets, all @7, used Versa Gripps on these

Alternated sets of 4-6

4. Pec Deck
    90/12
    110/12 x 2 sets

5. Rear Delt Machine
    35/12 x 3 sets

6. Curl Machine - I probably haven't used one of these in 12 years, but I tried this on a whim and liked it.
    30/12
    45/12 x 2 sets

Default How Could I Forget?

Somehow, I managed to forget to prepare for training in Ramadan, which began on Monday. For those who may not be familiar with it, Ramadan is the 9th month of the Islamic calendar, and one of the primary observances is to abstain from food and drink between sunrise and sunset every day during the month. Full disclosure: when the month falls in the spring and summer, I usually drink during the day when I work. I'm a mailman, and perhaps I'm not as pious or zealous as I should be, but I've tried going dry through a work day and I don't think what I experienced is what the fast is supposed to produce.

Going without food that long (14-14.5 hours per day this time of year) still presents difficult challenges. Among them, obviously, is how to train effectively within those parameters. Most years, I've gone into the month with a game plan. I just got caught slipping this year. So after training last Friday, I didn't end up training again until Tuesday. For now, my thought is to try these adjustments:

* When possible, start training sessions an hour or so before sunset.
    * If I can't do that, then train at night but eat a little before training, then eat a lot afterwards.
    * Keep the core lifts on my 3x6 format, but reduce the number of work sets on everything else.
    * Take 2 rest days after each training session.

We'll see how it goes over the next 26 days. Here's how the most recent session went...

Tue. 5/7/19, 7:48-8:43 pm

Alternated sets of 1 & 2.

1. Squat

135/6
    225/6
    285/6
    335/6 @6 RPE - hit the safety on the 3rd reps
    335/6 @7 - heard a slight "pop" in the hole on rep 2. Not sure if was a string in my shorts, underwear, or adductor. Jury is still out.
    335/6 @7.5 - more tired than usual at this point... not surprised

2. Decline Sit-up

12 reps each with BW, 10, 20 and 25 x 3 sets

Alternated sets of 3-5.

3. DB Inclines

50's/15
    60's/15 @7.5

4. Chest Supported Row

100/8 overhand + 8 neutral
    140/10 overhand + 7 neutral

I wanted 10 + 10 on the work set. Got caught a bit off guard. Might have been able to squeeze out an 8th rep.

5. Kettlebell Swing

35/20
    45/20

Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    For now, my thought is to try these adjustments:

* When possible, start training sessions an hour or so before sunset.
    * If I can't do that, then train at night but eat a little before training, then eat a lot afterwards.
    * Keep the core lifts on my 3x6 format, but reduce the number of work sets on everything else.
    * Take 2 rest days after each training session.

We'll see how it goes over the next 26 days.
    Since this post, it hasn't gone exactly as I'd planned. Work has made it impossible to get in the gym before sunset, so my last 2 sessions have been late-nighters again. Also, I ended up taking 4 days between sessions. These aren't even the 2 sessions I had planned, but more like one planned session that got cut short and then resumed 4 days later. But at least something is getting done, and hopefully the long term plan is working. Here's what I've been doing...

Sat. 5/11/19, 11:50 pm - 12:35 am

Did these like a circuit:

1. Kettlebell Snatch - I guess these are actually hang snatches, since I didn't do each rep from the floor (?)

20/10 left + 10 right
    25/10 left + 10 right
    25/12 left + 12 right x 3 sets

2. Overhead Press

95/6
    120/6 x 4 sets - all felt like @6 or @7 RPE

3. Pullups

BW/10 wide overhand
    BW/12 medium overhand
    BW/12 underhand
    BW/12 neutral

Wed. 5/15/19, 11:41 pm - 12:39 am

Alternated sets of 1 & 2

1. Deadlift

135/6
    235/6
    325/3 + 3 - staggered grip with no chalk or grips, so I stopped and switched the OH/UH halfway through
    375/6 x 3 sets - used Versa Gripps on these.

The works sets felt like @6 or maybe @7 RPE. On sets 2 & 3, I made sure to pause in the bottom and reset for each rep. That actually felt easier than going touch and go. I suspect it's because I'm used to doing singles on deadlifts, and maybe most significantly, I was in a better starting position for each rep.

2. Banded Lawn Mowers - I'm going to have to figure out what these are really called. It's like starting a lawn mower by twisting while holding a band.

red band (no clue on resistance) x 15 reps x 6 sets (3 left, 3 right, 45 total reps per side)

Alternated sets of 3 & 4

3. Biceps Curl Machine

35/12-15 (lost count)
    45/15
    50/12 @8.5 - pretty tough

4. Triceps Dip Machine

90/15
    130/15
    170/20

The reps on that last set were very deliberate, and this still felt pretty easy. I like the feel of this machine, but it tops out at 200 lbs. If I'm going to continue to use it, then I'll probably have to use one arm at a time.

Default Should Be Back To Normal

I haven't been slacking on posting. I've been slacking on getting to the gym, which is why I haven't been posting. However, I'm typing this recap as the fast of Ramadan comes to a close, so hopefully, I'll be eating and training more starting tomorrow.

At the same time, there are other real life things putting some restrictions on my time, so I need to try to be more economical with my gym time. After a lot of reading and watching stuff from Dorian Yates and Dante Trudel among others, I'm going to try a more high intensity training approach. I started off last week with 2 sessions following the DoggCrapp (DC) Training split. I haven't incorporated any of its signature rest-pause sets yet, mostly because I've been running a significant calorie deficit during Ramadan and haven't felt as energetic. I'm starting with straight sets to failure my first time through. Plus, I've been avoiding sets to failure for years. I probably need some time to make a mental adjustment to that. There's more explanation in the video, which also includes some clips from the last 2 sessions:

For those who haven't heard of DC Training before, the split involves two workouts (A & B) that get alternated over the course of 3 weekly sessions. So week 1 would be A-B-A, week 2 would be B-A-B and so on. The muscle groups are split like this:

A - chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness
    B - biceps, forearms, calves, hamstrings, quads

Everything is supposed to be worked in the order listed as well. I'll probably switch that from time to time, but generally I don't have a strong objection to it. Here's how it looked in the last 2 sessions...

Thu. May 30

1. Bench Press

95/10
    135/6
    175/4
    210/11.5 @10 - could not lock out the 12th rep. Racked it on the low pin. Also, I don't like the flat bench at the new gym. It's too narrow.

2. Seated DB OHP - neutral grip

30's/12
    40's/8
    50's/10 @9.5

3. Cable Pressdown - used V-handle

35/15
    50/23 @9 - felt a tinge of nausea, or something that reminded me of it. I definitely undershot the weight. I don't think I want to go past 15 on a straight set for these. But I'm still feeling my way through this.

4. Pull-ups - angled, underhand, shoulder width

6 bodyweight negatives after jumping to the bar for each rep
    BW/12 @9.5

5. Seated Cable Row

70/10
    130/16 @9.5 - undershot again here

Fri. 5/31

1. Standing Barbell Curls - Olympic bar

bar/12
    65/8
    85/11 @9.5

2. Seated BB Wrist Curls - if I've ever done these, I can't remember

warmed up by trying a set of reverse curls with the EZ bar
    65/20 @9

3. Calf Press on Leg Press

45/10-12 normal reps
    100/12 modified DC style reps - press as hard/high off the toes as possible, then a 5 second negative, followed by a 5 second stretch in the bottom position. I used a watch to time them. This one set took 3 minutes.

4. Standing Cable Leg Curl - not sure I like them

20/12 left + 12 right
    30/15 left + 15 right

5. Leg Press

270/10
    450/6
    540/13 @9

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456