starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle lifting in Delaware

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Fun day today

Heavy Squat 1x5 @500 RepPR and 3x5 @435
    Notes: I tried to do 490, but the rubber weights were too wide and wouldn't fit on the bar, so I put on 495....but I was so close I decided to go to 500. It was fun, here it is on the gram Kyle Martin on Instagram: “My usapl meet is 6 weeks out. Prep finally feels like it’s moving again. Here’s a set of 5 at 500lbs. Just have to keep things moving.…”

Bench 5x5 @225
    Notes: Decided to just switch these to intermediate programming without messing around, also was so tired from the squats I wasn't sure how going up 5lb would go.

Deads 1x5 @425
    Notes: Still easy, just moving up 10lb a session so far without issue.

Managed to sneak into the gym before the snow shut everything down, but I only had about 45 minutes, so I did the fast version of light day. I did cable rows while I rested from squats and I had planned on doing bench and press so I compromised by doing incline bench.

Squat 1x5 @385 and 1x5 @335
    Notes: Whether it wasn't having a belt or fatigue from 500 on monday or from doing cable rows during my breaks 385 hurt my back pretty bad, so I dropped it a bit for the second set

Cable Rows 3x8 @220
    Notes: Didn't have time to squat then set up for barbell rows, so I did what I could

Incline Bench 2x5 @185
    Notes: Light bench slot and press combined so I could get home before I got stuck in a ditch.

Medium Squats 4x5 @415
    Notes: No problem, felt good

Intensity Bench 1 & 2x3 @280 PR
    Notes: Got too amped, lost focus, and seriously mis-grooved that first rep. Was lucky to save it. Then got my mind right and the two triples were hella easy.

LP Deads 1x5 @435
    Notes: Still easy, happy to just add 10 lbs a workout until I get back to where I want to be, should be back in the neighborhood in a week or two. Starting to get easier to set up, I've included my imitation of the John Petrizzo wiggle to help get tight before I pull, and so far I like it. I realize that I've never met John, but I thank him for his instagram.

Had a lot of anxiety today going into heavy day after how difficult 500 was, but things ended up going well. Also there was a ton of stupid globo gym stuff going on, and that's always fun to watch.

H Squat 1x5 @505 and 3x5 @455
    Notes: After watching my 500 video I realized that I'd overcompensated from my coaching cues I got from Mike at Strength Co and now I was looking to far down and losing tightness in my upper back. I picked my gaze up a bit today and focused on a tight upper back and things moved much nicer.

Bench 5x5 @235
    Notes: The first two sets I did poorly and mis-grooved things, but the last 3 sets went very smoothly.

Deads 1x5 @445
    Notes: just chugging along.

"light" day. I felt all the stress today, whether it was from Monday, Work, or Wedding Planning (the worst kind....in laws) Anyways, I did shit and I'll move on to Friday!

Squats 1x5 @385
    Notes: wow, bad, felt worse than 505 on monday. Was going to do two sets but I just called it at 1

Bench 2x5 @185
    Notes: a little wonky

Pull downs, cable rows, Triceps
    Notes: A little bro, a little back

Good day. I went to the gym, lifted weights, then ate oysters and a lobster roll. I've had worse Fridays.

Squats 4x5 @425

Bench 1x2 and 1x3 @285 PR
    Notes: Last rep of the first triple I got way out over my eyes and the spotter helped. Third set was zero issue. I'm strong enough to lift much heavier, but I'm not doing the best at getting that bar path grooved correctly.

Deads 1x5 @455
    Notes: Really good, my rep pr is 465 which I should equal on Monday. It's been a crappy winter of back tweaks, indecision, and a new unbroken in belt causing me problems, but things are finally back.

Giving this 4 day Texas Method thing a shot.

Comp Bench 5x5 @225
    Notes: It was way past time I started really practicing a paused, competition bench. The meet is 5 weeks away.

Press 3x5 @135
    Notes: Press slots are the big reason that I'm moving to the 4 day, also because Monday Heavy day is starting to destroy me.

My winter of deadlift discontent is officially over. For those following along at home I last hit a rep PR the day after Thanksgiving. Then I had a 5 week back tweak, then I bought a bigger belt that I couldn't conventional lift in so I spent 6 weeks trying to sumo, then the belt was broken in enough that I discovered I could use it to conventional again. So after a journey of discovery I'm finally back where I was on black friday.

Squats 5x5 @455
    Notes: First taste of TM volume day. I put on wrist wraps for set 3 and maybe it was just mental, but it helped me get much tighter so I think I'll use them from here on.

Deads 1x5 @465 - tied a 5RMPR
    Notes: These were way easier than the last time I did this weight, so at least I feel like I'm stronger, which is good since my first meet is 5 weeks out

Missed a rep today, damnation.

Bench 1x3 and 1x2 @290 PR
    Notes: Missed that last rep, I'm misgrooving things when they get heavy.

Press 3x5 @140
    Notes: Judging by the weird locations these are making me sore I think they're helping my shoulders and parts of my upper back. Plus I intend to lift my fiancee over my head during our first dance so I need to get strong for that before I initiate the epic pre-wedding cutdown.

starting strength coach development program
    Baah! Tweaked my Lats pressing yesterday, but not bad enough that I noticed until I started warming up at heavyish weights. But then it hurt pretty bad, if it had been meet day I would have taken 5 advil and just powered through, but it's not a bad tweak and I didn't want to make it bad 4 weeks out, so I decided discretion was the better part of valor today.

Warmed up squat to 495 and deads to 355 before canning it.

Leg press 3x8 8 plates
    Notes: Wanted to do something that hopefully helps my legs

rehabish. press 60 @15kg and cable rows 60 @50lb

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast