starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle lifting in Delaware

Default Kyle lifting in Delaware

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I haven't posted in the Intermediate forum in months, but I signed up for two USAPL meets in April and June with a reasonable chance (at least that's my goal) of qualifying for raw Nationals in Master 1 with a stretch goal of qualifying for the open too, but we'll see. Anyways, I figured I'd start posting a log on here again to try to add extra pressure on myself.

Currently I'm doing a combo of HLM for squats, a linear progression for bench, and a trying to relearn deadlifts with a new belt dealio.

Today's work.

Squats.
    1x5 @475 tied for a 5RM PR
    3x5 @415
    Notes: I got a new belt. It's a 5 inch belt instead of a 4 inch and for the moment much stiffer. It feels magical while squatting

Bench.
    3x5 @255 tied for a 5RM PR
    Notes: In days of yore I alternated overhead press and bench press and both stalled. Then I decided I was going to powerlift and started focusing on benching. Now I bench every workout and it pretty much linearly progresses. Still, my bench is lagging behind.

Deads.
    5x1 @445
    Notes: Remember that new belt that was so nice on squatting? It's a nightmare on deadlifts. Today I did five heavy singles just to try to figure out how to get set up and tight with the newer, bigger, stiffer belt. I think it was getting better towards the end there...maybe...or maybe it was wishful thinking. It's weird, though, I can feel that the deadlifts are light when I'm pulling them, but if I can't get them set up right then they're too heavy to move them.

Big time squat! What weight class are you in?

Nice work Kyle!

Thanks Jay! Couldn't have done it without you showing me the ropes.

K, I'm in the 120+ weight class, and thanks!

Today was "Light" day.

Squats 3x5 @385
    Notes: Pretty easy but was feeling it after heavy day Monday

Bench 3x5 @205
    Notes: About 80% of Monday, nice and easy.

Strict Press 3x5 @135
    Notes: hadn't done these in about 6 weeks since I decided to focus on powerlifting. I have regressed in these...a lot.

Deads 5x1 @345
    Notes: Diego at 5x3 in Baltimore taught me Sumo in the Fall, and I tried it for about 6 months before going back to conventional, but I decided to try it again today on a whim. I've been having a very hard time setting up for deadlifts with my new belt and with a 5 week old back tweak. Long story slightly shorter, the sumos felt great. I got set up well, the back felt great, and the belt stayed where I wanted it. I might try pulling some heavy sumo pulls friday to see what happens.

You were an easy client. So cool to see that you've gotten so strong!

Thanks Jay! I plan on visiting a few more times in the coming weeks as I do some meet prep, hope to see you again.

Today was a little less crazy, Friday afternoon saw all the new years resolutioners leave the gym to us with nothing to do on a Friday night but lift.

Medium Squat: 4x5 @405
    Notes: Easy, got way on my toes for rep 3 of set 3, but that's because I wasn't paying enough attention.

Bench: 3x5 @260, 5RMPR
    Notes: First two sets were a little grindy as I had a hard time finding the groove, third set I hit the groove and they flew.

Sumos: 1 @495 and 1x5 @445
    Notes: These felt great on my back. I missed the first two at 495 because of my grip, but it flew once I strapped up. The most challenging part of sumo is dragging my hands up my milky, supple, breathtaking thighs. Not sure if I'll stick with sumo but it really helps me get tight even with my new belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Martin View Post
    I haven't posted in the Intermediate forum in months, but I signed up for two USAPL meets in April and June with a reasonable chance (at least that's my goal) of qualifying for raw Nationals in Master 1 with a stretch goal of qualifying for the open too, but we'll see. Anyways, I figured I'd start posting a log on here again to try to add extra pressure on myself.
    Is the meet you're doing in April the Delaware State Championships on 4/7?

Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    Is the meet you're doing in April the Delaware State Championships on 4/7?
    Sure is! Although I need to actually register for it before it sells out. If you're thinking about it I bet it'll be an easy trip for you. 90 minutes up 95 with a noon weight in for us bigger folks and done the meet by 6 (supposedly)

Well, I had the flu this week and today was my first day back. I didn't eat at all from Sunday-Tuesday so I didn't have high hopes for today. My plan was just to take it light and try to ease back in (that's what she said). One interesting note, in the 5 days of either sitting on my recliner or laying down on my bed my back tweak seems to have migrated about twelve inches to my left and is now a glute tweak. The human body is weird man.

Anyways, today sucked.

Squats 2x5 @385
    Notes: I didn't vomit which was the only positive of such a light weight being grindy as hell

Bench 3x5 @225
    Notes: Unremarkable

Deads 1x5 @405
    Notes: The gym recently bought a super fancy Eleiko olympic platform. At first I thought I loved it, but I think that was mostly happiness at going from cheap crap to Eleiko stuff. Now, though, I'm starting to not love it, it's so bouncy. I put down a deadlift and it bounces two or three times and if I don't put it down perfectly it bounces forwards or backwards. It's worse than putting down those weird 12 sided plates.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Martin View Post
    Sure is! Although I need to actually register for it before it sells out. If you're thinking about it I bet it'll be an easy trip for you. 90 minutes up 95 with a noon weight in for us bigger folks and done the meet by 6 (supposedly)
    A few weeks ago, I was online and literally about 2 minutes away from registering for it. Then I realized why that date seemed so familiar: I'm going to WrestleMania 35 that day. As excited as I am for that, I was kind of bummed because it's so close, and I prefer Sunday meets. I work every Saturday, so a Sunday meet means I don't have to use any leave. Plus John is a fantastic meet director and puts on high quality events. I've lifted in maybe 3 of his meets now between Regionals and NJ States. I would expect the afternoon session to be done by 6 if it starts at 2.

Fortunately, I saw the announcement for the MD state meet in time. According to the director, I got my entry in with about 14 spots left on the 120 lifter limit. Meet is April 6.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast