starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Kyle lifting in Delaware

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Did some triples at 85% of what I did Friday. Thinking about those numbers from Friday I'm going to drop them down a bit to start. I'm not going to put up the numbers to qualify for Nationals this weekend, so I just want to have a good meet and feel like I'm in striking distance to qualify this summer. 1590 is a daunting total.

Squat 1x3 @480
    Notes: happily easy. Nice that my sore lat is finally feeling better
    Bench 1x3 @255
    Deads 1x3 @445
    Notes: didn't use chalk and used the bar with the worn down knurling so I lost my grip after the second rep, but reset and got it fine the next time. Legs and back were great, just should have used chalk.

Last day of training before the meet on Sunday. I've got some allergies or a cold and didn't feel great with this stuff today, everything felt heavier than it should considering it was all about 75% of the singles I did last week, but I just hope it goes well on Sunday!

Squat 2x3 @405
    Bench 2x3 @225
    Deads 3x1 @405

Today was meet day. Did ok, didn't get all the lifts I wanted but I was considering this my preseason. I learned a lot that I'm really excited to put to use at my next meet in June. First the results and then my lessons learned.

First off, these were all Delaware State records in the 120+/Masters 1/ Raw category, because there were no previous records! LOL. Also I got 1st place in that category since I was the only lifter in my category, but first is first.

Squat: 245 good, 260 no good, 260 again good PR
    Notes: I'm pissed I didn't get 600 like my goal. I think I had it in me, but during my second lift I stood up too fast, got out of my hips, and lost my hip drive about 2/3 the way up. I repeated that weight and smoked it like an opener for my third attempt.

Bench: 127.5 good, 140 PR good, 150 no good
    Notes: a 10KG jump for the third attempt was just way too much. First two felt pretty good, but I should have only jumped 5kg

Deads: 225 good, 240 no good, 240 no good
    Notes: These I don't agree with. They moved fast and I got no lifted because they say I didn't lock them out. I had people coming up to me afterwards saying how bogus those calls were so that made me feel a little bit better. In my heart of hearts I think I locked them both out but hitched the second one a little. I'm mentally taking the 240 PR going forward.

Things I learned:
    - Do a better job of eating enough in the morning, I was bonking hard by the end.
    - Bring a PB&J for between lifts
    - Don't make such big jumps on bench
    - Bring some more caffeine for the bench, I saved preworkout for deads but by then I was exhausted.
    - I was really nervous, so I need to do better at translating that nervous energy into "juice"
    - I've been fighting a glute thing for months, it really hurt during deadlifts, so going forward I'd say don't get hurt.

Back to the gym today. Had a little post meet cold going on so I was just trying to ease back into things today. I'll start seriously ramping back up next week.

Squats 3x5 @405
    Notes: That first set felt like hot garbage, but once I broke the rust off the next two felt good.

Bench 3x5 @225
    Notes: These were easy

Pull Down 3x12 @160
    Notes: Did these because I figured my back was still a little wonky after the meet and I'd give the deadlifts a full week off before I start banging on them again. Also I was really bad about doing chins/pulldowns and presses in the last few months so I'm going to seriously add those back in for my upper back and shoulders.

Got back to the 4 day TM, went pretty well. Did deads today because I'm going to be time constrained tomorrow.

Bench 5x5 @235
    Notes: Easy

Press 2x5 and 1x4 @135
    Notes: Been forever since I pressed so I'm adding them back in, going to lp them for a while, should have started lighter, but oh well.

Deads 1x5 @445
    Notes: Felt much better this week than the last few weeks.

Rolling Triceps 3x8 @30s
    Notes: First time doing these, they were fine.

Didn't have a ton of time tonight since I had to go meet the future in-laws about wedding caterers. So I did what I could, sadly I had to wait out a jackass curling in the squat rack.

Squats 2x5 @455 and 2x5 @405
    Notes: Mis-read my notebook, and should have been doing 435, so the 455 was a bit much. I'll do 435 for 5x5 next week. Backed off not just because of just the weight, but also because the lighter weight let me cut down my rest times a bit.

Good day, not a lot to talk about.

Bench 1x5 @280
    Press 3x5 @135
    Rolling Triceps 3x8 @35's

Today was part 2 of "My first week back training after my meet I jumped into squats too heavy."

Squats 1x4 @500
    Notes: I grinded so much on rep 4 I knew I was never going to get #5, next week.

Deads 1x3 and 2x5 @405
    Notes: Did the first three on the Olympic lifting platform that my gym mistakenly got as a deadlift platform. You think hex plates are bad for rolling? This Eleiko lifting platform bounces side to side and front and back seemingly without any rhyme or reason. So after the triple I rolled the bar onto the floor and did the two sets of five I intended, they were easy.

Pull downs 3x8 @180
    Curlz 3x8 @ 65

Back to the gym (a day late since the gym was closed due to a Resurrection). Of note, this week is the last page on my gym diary, so that's fun. Also noteworthy, the post-meet deload week seems to have really helped my bench, and been bad for my squat. Learning new things over here!

Bench 5x5 @240
    Notes: These just flew

Press 3x5 @140
    Notes: All the racks were full, so I power cleaned these and then did the presses out of the clean rack position. Interesting tidbit, I haven't power cleaned in months and these were wildly ugly. Still, I had forgotten how much fun cleans can be.

Rolling triceps 3x8 @40's
    Notes: This was the first time these have even hinted at feeling heavy, but I'll still go up next time.

starting strength coach development program
    Today was one of those days. I was allergic to everything, didn't get to eat lunch, was tired, sore, and just wanted to go and sit on the couch but I lifted anyway. It took me twice as long as it should have because I had to spend time talking myself into doing each set, at the end of the day I bagged my accessory stuff. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.

Squat 5x5 @435
    Notes: These were actually easy and smooth, it was just my stupid brain getting in the way.

Deads 1x5 @455
    Notes: Real talk, these were more like a double and three singles. I kept messing up my setup and having to re-set. I did the things, though, so F it, time for Easter candy.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast