starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Kyle lifting in Delaware

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After weeks of lifting heavy through an annoying hip/glute thing it just kept getting more and more painful, to the point that I'm shuffling around in my day to day. So I finally decided to take things easy and try to not make it worse. So I went up in weight until I felt it hurting, then I backed off until it felt better and did some reps. Hopefully this works.

Squats 3x8 @225
    Bench 3x8 @185
    Notes: Didn't expect this to hurt, but the arch was super painful, but I did these flat backed
    Deads 3x10 @45
    Notes: Just the bar hurt, but it'll just have to be ok.

Hip/Glute was feeling a little bit better. I spent 10 minutes on the eliptical before lifting and that was enough to warm things up and get me about 45 minutes of pain free lifting. Let me get my upper day in which I'm happy for.

Bench 5x5 @245
    Press 3x5 @145
    DB Rolling Triceps 3x8 @45's

Back felt a bit better today. Got the squat and deadlift much heavier before pain than I did on Friday, and I didn't want to die. So I chalk today up as a win!

Squats 3x5 @365
    Deads 1x3 and 1x5 @245
    Lat Pull Downs 3x8 @180 (Wide grip)

Hip has been pretty angry the last few days, but not so bad that it affected upper body day. Days like today, though, I wish I had a driveway rack to lift outside. Oh well.

Bench 1x5 @285....5RMPR
    Notes: These went way smoother than I'd have thought. Wore my belt during a bench for the first time in a long time, and it was nice.

Press 1x5, 2, 4, 5 ......5RMPR, this is small because it's so pathetic
    Notes: Messed up a few times not because it was heavy but because I turned into a press 2.0 trebuchet as I launched the bar at the rack uprights.

Rolling Tricep dBs 3x8 @45s
    Notes: got surprisingly heavy at the end. Enjoyed the pump.

Hip felt great while I was working today which is nice. It hurt for most of the rest of the day, except for the 3.5 hours I was in a comfortable movie theatre recliner watching Avengers. Anyways, things are slowly coming back, I'm starting to think my too firm mattress may be part of the problem as I usually sleep on the hip that hurts and it hurts by far the worst in the morning.

Deads 1x5 @335
    Notes: All the racks were full so I deadlifted first, kind of scrambled my powerlifting brain, but the deads went well. I probably could have jumped up higher than a 90lb jump, but I stuck with my plan

Squats 3x5 @405
    Notes: These moved fast even though they felt difficult. Didn't hurt the hip, though.

Hammer Curlz 3x12 @30's
    Notes: My wrist was a little tweaky so I did these instead of the bar variety. One injury is enough thanks.

Today was Globo gym craziness. So much dumb things today. I just kept my mouth shut, though, nobody needs to hear my lips flappin'

Bench 5x5 @245
    Press 3x5 @155 5RMPR
    Rolling triceps 3x8 @45's

Sometimes it's easy to blame tweaks and stuff on lifting. I've been dealing with a hip issue for almost two months. Well this weekend we returned our mail order mattress after the 100 day trial and reverted to our old mattress. Amazingly in just 3 nights my hip pain has largely gone away and my old lumbar pain has returned now that I'm back on the old mattress! Time for a new one, hopefully this one does the trick.

Squats 2x5 @455 and 1x5 @405
    Notes: Hip started to hurt during reps 4 and 5 of that second set so I dropped the 25's for that last set and things felt great.

Deads 1x5 @405
    Notes: Felt good except for my thumbs. The hook grip needs to get back in the game.

Lat Pulldowns 3x8 @180
    Hammer Curlz 3x12 @45's

Which pain is worse - the hip or lumbar?

I'd say that the hip has been worse, the lumbar has mostly been a low level kind of thing. That said it ends up that I actually hurt my hip a bit more than I thought in that last set of 455 squats. Ends up that was a bit of a muscle tear based on the bruising, went to a PT and they said I also have a bit of a sciatica thing. So I'm doing Starr for the hip and PT for the sciatica. Good times.

Squat 3x25 @45
    Notes: These were easy, but my knees weren't loving them by the end

Bench 1x5 @290 5RMPR

Press 5x5 @135
    Notes: So begins intermediate press programing

starting strength coach development program
    I like my PT. He's super into me lifting, I was afraid that he would try to get me to stop, but quite the opposite. We talked and agreed that I should start at 225 squats and deadlifts and take 20lb jumps to work back up whilst also doing PT for a few weeks. I like having a plan.

Also I watched one of the gym trainers teach the worst deadlifts I've ever seen. He had this poor dude pulling 65, but the bar was about 6 inches in front of his foot and he kept yelling at this dude to sit back into the lift, how was he supposed to do that?!? Anyways, I was busy yesterday so combined two days, took a while.

Squat 3x5 @225
    Notes: Felt good and easy

Press 1x5 @160 5RMPR
    Notes: pretty easy

At this point the fire alarm got pulled, so I spent 20 minutes in the cold wind outside the gym before coming back in to...

Bench 5x5 @250
    Notes: That first set was bad after not warming back up enough, but the next 4 were totally fine

Deads 1x5 @225
    Notes: easy peasy

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast