starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: m s's log -- strength/olympic weightlifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    SQ 245x1 (failed after first rep, hit the safeties and it threw me off balance. Going to get something to stand on to fix the height issue.)
    PR 85x5x3
    DL 265x3

DL Video:

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    I still don't see a reason to train the front squat.
    ehh .... I don't know about "Training" it, like doing a big block of front squats.
    But seems like most lifters just do them here or there through out the week, a few reps, intensity not volume.

I get what you are saying, if you can increase your front squat, by back squatting ... so be it.

But besides just improving the clean recovering (obvs), front squats also improve a lot of the positional strength, and leg drive of the jerk.
    In my opinion, back squats don't improve those as much ("per unit of energy" put forth into them).

If you have no time for front squats, you might be able to work them in with cleans every now and then.
    Clean + FS + Jerk (top set of CJ? just omit the FS)

I think you might be right. I have actually been thinking about this quite a bit since I posted that. I should have been more specific -- I don't see a reason to train them YET. My line of thought was that my front squat strength is not what is holding my oly lifts back, and it will continue to increase anyway as my BS increases. But now I'm thinking that my oly lifts have improved, especially my consistency, meaning I'm hitting more heavy clean and jerks each session, and they take a lot out of me. Maybe it is time I start practicing some front squats -- 3x3s once a week?

CJ 140, 145x, 145x
    FS 165x3,3

SN up to 115 (PR)
    CJ 140 (powerclean PR), 145
    wanted to go for 150, coach at oly gym said not today... sometimes I have to listen. Made every lift today.

Last edited by m s; 07-31-2020 at 12:03 PM.

I started to squat but it felt like I was about to tweak my back so I stopped.
    PR 86x5x3
    Chins 28.5x5x3

DL 270x3
    CGBP 112.5x5x3

SN 100x2x5
    CJ 130x1+2x4

Coach at the weightlifting club today told me weightlifters should not deadlift because it makes you slow.
    Last edited by m s; 08-05-2020 at 04:04 PM.

People will actually think that a guy who is 5'10" 160 lbs can C&J as much weight as he wants if his technique gets good enough, it's insane. Whenever I encounter this in real life it's just fuckin weird.
    Related, one of my favorite threads on here.

270x3 is one hell of a deadlift. How are you programming these?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    Coach at the weightlifting club today told me weightlifters should not deadlift because it makes you slow.
    Yeah, that statement all by itself worded just like that is wrong. I would be leery of that guy's any advice regarding programming.

On the other hand, I wouldn't revolve my whole program around doing maximal conventional PL style deadlifts with super grindy fives either.

Sure, many Weight-Lifters and elites will do a heavy deadlift variant here or there every so often.

"Pulls" will be more medium intensity and will typically have more bar speed; these can still be relatively heavy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast