starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: m s's log -- strength/olympic weightlifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    Related, one of my favorite threads on here.
    There are a lot of uninformed people talking past each other in that thread. A lot of bad information in there. Use caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    People will actually think that a guy who is 5'10" 160 lbs can C&J as much weight as he wants if his technique gets good enough, it's insane. Whenever I encounter this in real life it's just fuckin weird.
    Related, one of my favorite threads on here.

270x3 is one hell of a deadlift. How are you programming these?
    Yeah I've seen that thread. I like this one too: The "other" way to do a clean.
    And yes -- the few lifters at the gym that I'm going to that train seriously are way too skinny. One of them has good technique but was struggling with 130kg pulls. It's too bad.

I just do 1 set of deadlifts a week. Occasionally I'll skip them because I'm feeling too beat up that week. Feels like I still have at least 10kg to LP for the 3s, going up (and down) smoothly: DL 270kgx3 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Yeah, that statement all by itself worded just like that is wrong. I would be leery of that guy's any advice regarding programming.

On the other hand, I wouldn't revolve my whole program around doing maximal conventional PL style deadlifts with super grindy fives either.

Sure, many Weight-Lifters and elites will do a heavy deadlift variant here or there every so often.

"Pulls" will be more medium intensity and will typically have more bar speed; these can still be relatively heavy.
    I do my own programming. He tries to give me suggestions, which I ignore. Another unfortunate situation -- he's an older guy and he is super nice, but has that stereotypical WL mindset: He told me I'd get more out of doing pulls with 180kg than deadlifts with 270kg. For now, I have no interest in doing pulls. I'm still pretty new to the sport and just want to continue practicing the two lifts.

SQ 230x5 (did a reset back 5s to work on some knee slide stuff, and because the bar was bending too much and hitting the safeties. Should be solved soon when the gym rebuilds the platforms which they said should be 1-2 weeks but who knows.)
    PR 87x4,4,3,2,2 (I think holding heavy stuff above my head in oly the day before really messes with these. Going to try Delgadillo's advice and just keep progressing the weight and doing however many sets to hit the 15 reps.)
    Chins 29.5x5x3

starting strength coach development program
    Did some Oly stuff last Saturday.

Today:
    SQ 235x5 (PR)
    PR 88x3 (lost balance), 4, 4, 4
    DL 272.5x 2 (weights fell off the bar, had to stop. Hopefully the gym brings back the 25's they took away while rebuilding the platforms.....)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123