starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It Takes Ball

Default It Takes Ball

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Been a couple years since I posted here. In those years had a lot of great stuff going on but managed to go from 220 to 235# bodyweight and take gym powerlifting total 1400-1525#.

Then I got the balls cancer and dropped bodyweight to 205#. These are the chronicles of getting back to 1500#+ total which will double my previous per testicle PR.

All time PRs:
    Squat 525#
    Bench 435#
    Dead 565#
    Press 265#

I've also managed to flip around 4000 pounds of gym equipment for average 80% markup over the last 2 months of state-imposed gym-market turmoil leaving me close to a dream garage gym set-up for free, so I'll feature that if I can get back to filming.

We've got near identical bodyweight and totals. I was 235bw with a mid 1500's total right before all the lockdown stuff. Will follow along!
    Good luck with the training, it'll be cool to see how fast you bounce back.

And as a Washington resident near the ID border, I've been really enjoying your state's gyms the last few weeks. Lol.

Thanks, citizen of Greater Free Idaho Kaimi.

Today's lift:
    Deadlift 464# cluster of 15 singles in 15 minutes

Been doing some of this recently to get some good singles practice and acclimate my hands to new bare steel Texas Deadlift Bar. Way more cheese-graty than the OPB that I sold a month ago for $650. Bwahahahaha

Pushups, 2 sets to failure

Bench 370# x 3 x 3
    Log clean and press 195x3, 205x3, 215x3, 225x3x2 (1 clean per)
    Squat warm ups

Then I ordered some AR-15 parts so that you remember I'm an Idahoan.

Nice Bench!
    After seeing your log work I may just bring mine out. I'm dealing with some issues with my left shoulder and the neutral grip of the log may be the answer for that.

Skid, I got no idea if log is better for shoulder, but it is a lot of fun and I toy with doing a strongman event when I find a convenient one. As far as carry-over, it's a shorter range of motion, and I usually fail bench in the top half, so it can't hurt. Any tips on how you integrate log?

Today's Playlist:
    Cambered bar squat: 420# x 5 x 3
    (The sacred rep scheme with a profane bar. Still waiting on new power bar to arrive.)

Fat bar pullups: 10, 10, 10

Sorry, can't help you with programming the log. I made mine a 5-6 years ago when I competed in a strong man comp the local cross fit put on. I've found that for me at least that pressing does little for my bench, but benching keeps my press strong. I haven't done a heavy press in a long time but could probably right now do within 15% of my max. Maybe I'm doing something wrong

However, log pressing is a lot closer to benching due to the layback required, so there probably is more carry-over. Good luck with it!

How I be in garage:
    Bench 375# x 3 x 3
    CG Feet Up 245# x 5 x 3

Mo' Deads, Mo' Problems
    474# x 1 x 15 EMOM
    Form was breaking down at end. I tend to get upper back in too much flexion at start ("drive the chest up"), but ended with an easy double, so I have some room to run with this scheme.

Fat bar pullups 10, 10, 12

starting strength coach development program
    Bench 380# x 3 x 3
    Vid here if you want to see extra long setup to compensate for benching with deadlift bar:
    YouTube

Then 10 hours of GPP with chainsaw, so these squats after felt extra great.

Camber Squat 405# x 5 x 3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast