starting strength gym
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Training for Powerlifting at Planet Fitness (I’m not joking!)

Default 1/21 - New Video & Getting Back To The Gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    One of my subscribers asked me to do a video or a series talking about how to train the power lifts in a Smith machine, as he’s thinking of doing what I did and training there for a meet. It sounded like a good idea to me, so I just uploaded the first one on the squat. If any of you are in that situation - having to use the Smith or other machines - I hope you’ll find this helpful.

Meanwhile, my mouth doesn’t really hurt anymore where my teeth were extracted. However, the gum by one of the extraction sites looks and feels like it was scratched or bruised by one of the dentist’s tools. If not for that, I’d probably feel normal, just with more open real estate in my mouth. Got the bloodwork done this morning. I should get my cholesterol numbers in a week or so.

Weighed 208.0 lbs this morning. That’s up 0.2 lbs from the morning I got my teeth pulled. Considering how little I ate that night, I’ll gladly take it. Slow progress is still progress.

Gym session was a full body, machine session. My goal was just to put some stress on the muscles, since I hadn’t trained lower body in a week, and upper body in 9 or 10 days. I’ll get back to my normal upper/lower split starting Sunday or Monday. As of today, I’m 4 months out from my next competition.

Fri. 1/22/21 - Full Body Session

Hammer Strength Incline Chest Press - weight listed is the weight per side/handle

20/20
    40/10
    60/10
    80/10 at 8.5 RPE
    80/10 at 9.5 RPE

Hammer Stength Pulldown - weight listed is the weight per side/handle

30/20
    50/10
    80/10
    100/10 at 9 RPE
    100/13 at 9 RPE - used Versa Gripps for this set

Leg Extension

40/20
    70/10
    100/10
    130/15
    160/15 at 7.5 - the pump and burn was legit, but I could have pushed through for more reps

Seated Leg Curl

25/20
    55/12
    85/10
    115/15 at 7 RPE
    115/15 at 8 RPE

Done in 44 minutes, including wiping down every machine before/after each exercise.

Default 17 Weeks Out

The meet is scheduled for the weekend of May 22-23. Right now, the director expects the men to compete on Sunday, but there is a chance it could be on that Saturday. My wife and I reserved a room starting that Friday, so I’m good either way. It’s the same hotel we stayed at last time, on the other street from a Planet Fitness (with massage beds), and in a room with a jacuzzi again. That made a huge difference in how fast I recovered from that last meet.

I weighed 210.2 lbs yesterday morning. That number seems inflated. Even though the tooth extractions reduced my eating, I only worked one day in the previous nine. I went back to work today, so I expect that to go down a little by the time I hop on the scale Wednesday morning.

Sun. 1/24/21 - A1: lower body + pecs & rear delts (changed the extras from biceps & triceps)

Calf Press & Stretch - on horizontal leg press

Press: 100/25 - both legs
    Press: 100/12 left + 15 right + 3 left
    Stretch: 100/30 second left + 30 seconds right
    Stretch: 205/60 seconds both

On Smith machine exercises, the weights listed are just the plates. The + is for the bar.

Smith
    Machine Squat

bar/10
    90+/8
    180+/5
    230+/5
    280+/5
    330+/3
    380+/5 at 9 RPE - started using belt
    360+/5 at 9 RPE - sucking for air
    320+/7 at 9 RPE

Smith Machine Split Squat - rear foot on floor

90+/10 left, 10 right
    90+/10 left, 10 right

First time doing these. Didn’t feel too heavy, but wanted to focus on technique. Breathing hard.

Smith Machine RDL - each foot on a pair of 25’s; started each set from the top with a negative

90+/10
    180+/10 - started using Versa Gripps
    270+/8
    270+/8 at 7.5 RPE - lower back was feeling it, so I used my belt on this set

I stop the reps on RDL’s just before lockout to keep stress on the hamstrings.

Alternated sets on the final 2 exercises. Not quick enough to call them supersets.

Pec Deck Machine

70/15
    90/12
    105/10
    105/10 at 9 RPE

Rear Delt Machine

70/15
    90/15
    105/10
    105/10 at 8 RPE

Done in 1 hour 25 minutes.

After I got my stuff out of the locker, I sat for a few minutes and used my rescue inhaler. By the time I finished squats, I figured I would need it. By the time I finished split squats, I felt like I could have used it then. I was afraid to use it and continue training, only to find myself back at square one and needing it again. So I paced myself and pushed through. I don’t know if that was a good idea or not, but it worked yesterday. Ate well, slept okay, and didn’t feel like a train wreck today through a 10.5 hour day with 7.5 miles of hiking. God willing, I can get back to the gym tomorrow.

I'm catching back up on posts, and it's good to see that you're still toughing it out, even with all of the health-related bumps.

No doubt you've experienced this before, but how do you think the fasting during Ramadan impact your peaking for the meet? I've only done intermittent fasting (up to 16 hrs) during non-training periods, and overnight, where I could fill most of that time with sleep. So in my mind, you're going to have to get everything done during the night hours (eat enough, train, and sleep), which sounds exhausting.

Keep at it!

Default 1/26 - Abridged Upper Body Session

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    I'm catching back up on posts, and it's good to see that you're still toughing it out, even with all of the health-related bumps.

No doubt you've experienced this before, but how do you think the fasting during Ramadan impact your peaking for the meet? I've only done intermittent fasting (up to 16 hrs) during non-training periods, and overnight, where I could fill most of that time with sleep. So in my mind, you're going to have to get everything done during the night hours (eat enough, train, and sleep), which sounds exhausting.

Keep at it!
    Thanks for your continued support Bill, and good question. The biggest adjustment is going to have to be on training days, because as you alluded to, my window to train and consume calories will be short - probably about 9 hours per day, between 8pm and 5am, give or take a few minutes either way as the month progresses and the sunrise/sunset times change. I don’t sleep as much as I should anyway, so on a training day, as long as I sleep 5-6 hours and train for 1 hour, I should be okay. I’ll have to drink maybe 1/3 of my calories to get down what I need to maintain my body weight.

ABRIDGED UPPER BODY SESSION

My oldest daughter (15) has much worse asthma than I do, and has had it for most of her life. Over the past few days, she’s been in respiratory distress, and has been trying to get back to normal with the medicine and machines we have at home. By the time I got off of work yesterday evening, it was apparent she would have to go to the hospital. We’ve been through this enough for my wife and I to know we need to coordinate some logistics, particularly with our 2 younger children. I was going to stay home with them last night and take them to school today as normal (their school is open for in-person learning), while my wife was going to the hospital with the firstborn. Since she hadn’t cooked dinner yet when I got home, that gave me a brief window to hit the gym.

Tue. 1/26/21 - B1: upper body

On Smith machine exercises, the weights listed are just the plates. The + is for the bar.

Smith Machine Bench Press

bar/12, 10 - trying to get the bench in the right position to avoid destroying my shoulders
    50+/10
    100+/10
    140+/6
    170+/5
    200+/5
    215+/5 at 8.5 RPE
    230+/5 at 10 RPE
    215+/5 at 9 RPE
    195+/7 at 10 RPE

Smith Machine Barbell Row

bar/15-20 - lost count
    90+/12
    140+/12
    190+/8 - started using Versa Gripps
    230+/8 - hard to rate RPE because I know I cheated some of these. Stopped when I thought I might get sloppy.

Smith Machine One Arm Barbell Row

50+/20 left
    50+/20 right

I don’t know if I invented something, but I’ve never seen anyone do these. The closest thing I’ve seen to these are John Meadows and the appropriately named “Meadows Rows”, done by holding the end of a barbell. I basically used the bar on the Smith machine to do what looks like a dumbbell row, just with a very long dumbbell. I did these bent over and using my free hand to brace myself on the frame of the Smith machine. When I have more time, I’m going to experiment with putting a knee on a bench and see if that’s better than the way I did these. Plus I’ll try some more weight.

Hammer Strength Abdominal Crunch Machine

This was basically an extended rest-pause set. Each break was 5-6 deep breaths, then right back at it.

25/10 + 35/10 + 45/5 + 55/5 + 65/5 + 75/10 + 35/10

That was it. I felt like I made the most of the time I had. Tomorrow is supposed to be very cold and breezy, with wind chill making it feel like 15-17 degrees Fahrenheit (something below 0 Celsius). Not sure if I’ll train after work tomorrow or wait until Friday. Fortunately, our daughter wasn’t admitted this time, and is home. Hopefully, she improves over the next few days and doesn’t have to go back.

Default Abridged Deadlift Session, 1/30/21

Nothing close to a full lower body session, because all I did was deadlift. But I count the deadlift as part of my lower body training. My oldest daughter ended up going back to the hospital on Saturday. Once again, I had a short window in which to train. Fortunately and gratefully, she got admitted, treated, and discharged the next day and seems to be doing much better.

Sat. 1/30/21 - A2: lower body

Smith Machine Deadlift

bar/5, 5 - stood on floor for these
    bar/8 - started standing on 2 stacked 25 lbs plates (per foot)
    90+/8
    180+/6
    270+/4 - started using over/under grip
    320+/4
    370+/2 - started using Versa Gripps, still over/under
    410+/1
    Cluster set: 450+/1 + 1 + 1 (3 reps total) - started using belt; 45 seconds between reps
    Cluster set: 410+/1 + 1 + 1 + 1 (4 reps total) - 2:15 from start of 1st to end of 4th
    360+/5
    360+/6

Done in 40 minutes.

I was supposed to train on either of the last 2 nights, but it snowed here, and I think hiking (7.9 miles yesterday, 9.5 miles today) across lawns and streets while wearing boots with several inches of snow on the ground wiped me out. Tomorrow, I have a follow up with my dentist, so I’ll leave work a little early. The dentist is close to the gym. I think I’m going to get a full upper body (bench) session in tomorrow. 🤲🏾🤞🏾

Default 2/3/21 - Finally, A Full Workout!

I only left work 15 minutes early today, but made it to the dentist on time because it’s not far from the post office. The extraction sites are healing pretty well, but I need fillings in two other teeth. They don’t cause any pain, and the cavities aren’t visible from the front, so I didn’t even know I had them. I’m going back for that in 4 weeks. Hopefully, that’s the extent of it. In spite of the short day, I still clocked this (still on snow covered lawns and streets) before the dental visit:

Work: 7.75 hours, 7.4 miles, 15,914 miles, 14 flights climbed

As hoped, I had time to get everything I had planned done in the gym.

Wed. 2/3/21 - B2: upper body

Smith Machine Decline Bench Press - stacked a pair of 25 lbs plates under the foot of the bench

bar/15
    50+/10
    100+/8
    150+/6
    190+/6
    220+/6 at 8 RPE - started using mouth guard (first time since extractions!)
    235+/5 at 9.5 RPE
    210+/6 at 9.5 RPE
    190+/7 at 10 RPE

I’m pretty sure this has become my favorite bench variation to do at PF. My shoulders actually feel better on declines than flat bench.

Smith Machine One Arm Row - did these bent at the hip, bracing back foot and free arm on the frame

bar/12 left + 12 right
    bar/10 left + 10 right
    50+/10 left + 10 right
    90+/15 left, 15 right, 15 left, 15 right - used mouth guard and Versa Gripps

I treated those sets with the 45’s on each end of the bar as 4 separate sets, with a full rest period before alternating sides. On the previous sets, I didn’t rest between the right and left sides.

Hammer Strength Incline Press

20 per side/12
    50 per side/12
    rest-pause set: 80 per side/10 + 3 1/2 at 10 RPE - used mouth guard, 30 second rest

The negatives on the work set felt slow in the moment. Video shows that they weren’t. 😕. I was lowering under full control, but I was going for a slower eccentric tempo, and didn’t get it quite where I wanted it. Still pleased with the effort overall.

Hammer Strength Pulldown

40 per side/15
    80 per side/12
    rest-pause set: 120 per side/12 + 6 at 10 RPE - used mouth guard and Versa Gripps, 30 second rest

Hammer Strength Ab Crunch

30/15, 15, 10, 10 - those last 3 sets were increasingly hard. I didn’t time the rest intervals. They were short, but didn’t feel short enough to consider “rest-pause”.

Cable Pressdowns - used rope attachment, rest periods 30-60 seconds

20/20
    40/10
    50/10
    50/10 at 10 RPE - pump was crazy by this point
    30/20 - had to stop for a breath at reps 10 and 15

Took my time setting up and cleaning equipment, and I was still done in just under 90 minutes. Very grateful for how this went, and how I feel afterwards. God willing, squats are up next on Friday or Saturday.

Default A Few Days Behind, Plus Video

For those who watched my last video that dealt with how to squat in the Smith machine when powerlifting (or at least strength training) is your focus, here’s the next installment on the bench press. If you’re in a training situation like my current one, then I hope this helps.

Fri. 2/5/21 - A1: squat, lower body

Smith Machine Squat

bar/10
    90+/8
    180+/6
    230+/5
    280+/5
    330+/3 - added mouth guard
    370+/3 - added belt
    390+/3 @ 8 RPE
    390+/3 @ 9 RPE
    390+/2 @ 8.5 RPE
    390+/2 @ 8.5 RPE

I was pressed for time, because I worked late and the gym closed at 10. Rest periods on those top sets were all less than 2 minutes, which is much shorter than I would normally go on squats with RPE that high, no matter how many reps per set.

Alternated sets of the following. On some of them, the rest was short enough that I could legitimately call them supersets.

Leg Extension

75/12
    105/12
    135/12
    165/15
    165/10

Seated Leg Curl

60/15
    90/15
    120/15
    120/15

I haven’t trained since Friday. I worked on Saturday, which meant a 6-day work week for me. I think I’m facing one this week. On top of that, it’s snowing right now, and they’re expecting another round here tomorrow night. Delivering mail should be fun for the next few days. 🙂 I think between the long hours, the cold, and not sleeping anywhere near enough, I’m feeling the effects of everything. Considering that I’m 3 months from turning 45, I suppose the reality of “you’re not as young as you used to be” is creeping in. My goal is to get in the gym twice before the end of the week.

Body weight has been as high as 209.8 and as low as 205.6 upon waking within the last week. I’m starting to think about trying to make weight for the first time in my life, and compete at 205 lbs (93 kg) in May. There’s a state Masters 1B squat record in that weight class that is quite realistic for me (I squatted it at the meet in November), and the total record isn’t out of the question. At this pace, I won’t be too far beyond what I weighed in November. I’ll see how things go over the next few weeks before I decide what to do on that.

Default 14 Weeks Out - Time To Get More Serious

After an unintended deload from the gym (I still hiked 45 miles for work last week, all in snow/ice), I got back in there today after a 3-day weekend off, including today’s Presidents’ Day holiday in the US. I’m 14 weeks out from the meet on May 23. It’s hard to tell how much hypertrophy, if any, I’ve accomplished in the last couple of months, especially since I haven’t shown a sustained weight gain on the scale. But I think I look a little leaner. Is it possible that I re-comped a couple of pounds? Maybe. I don’t know. Regardless, it’s time to stop so much experimenting and goofing around. As long as I can get in the gym an average of 3 days per week over the next few months, I like my chances.

I also need to start planning when I’m going to visit my brother or another place to get some practice on real barbells again. For the meet in November, I only touched a real barbell 4 times before the meet. I’d like to keep that as my baseline going into this one, with a little more frequency if possible.

Mon. 2/15/21 - Squat & Other Stuff

Smith Machine Squat - I had to wait 10 minutes for some dude to text and do 2 sets of BP to start

bar/8
    90+/8
    180+/6
    230+/4
    280+/3
    Starting with the 280+ set, I narrowed my stance a bit. I noticed that I wasn’t feeling my quads at all, but everything in my hips. That’s fine for a low bar squat with a barbell. But I feel like I need to keep my quads more involved on the Smith machine. It feels like a more natural lift that way, which means things don’t hurt afterward.

330+/3
    370+/3 at 7 RPE - started using mouth guard
    395+/3 at 8 RPE - started using belt
    415+/3 at 9 RPE
    360+/6 at 7 RPE
    360+/6 at 8 RPE

Prone Leg Curl - I wasn’t at my normal PF. Since I was in one that had this machine, I had to.

45/15
    65/12
    80/10
    90/10
    105/14 at 10 RPE

I couldn’t set the machine to 100 lbs. It was either 95 or 105. Nice, controlled negatives on all reps.

Alternated sets of the next 2 (same machine, facing opposite way)

Pec Deck

40/15
    70/15
    100/15
    120/15 at 8 RPE

Rear Delt Machine

40/15
    70/15
    100/15
    120/15 at 9 RPE

”New” Abdominal Machine - Again, not my normal PF, so new to me. Weighted crunch/sit-up

30/10 - felt like nothing
    60/10 - whoa!!
    45/10 - abs starting cramping on rep 1
    45/10 - what the hell is going on?

Done in 1 hour 20 minutes.

Default Full body again & deadlift video

Peace everyone! First, here’s the most recent video in my series on how to train the competitive power lifts in Planet Fitness. This is part 3, on the deadlift. If you’re in a similar situation, then I hope it’s helpful. If you’re just curious, then I hope it’s informative.

Since it looks like I’m going to be training every 4-5 days, I’m doing full body sessions each time for now. One competition lift, plus the other major movers. It’s not ideal (like training for powerlifting at Planet Fitness ��), but hopefully it will keep anything from lagging behind.

Fri. 2/19/21 - Bench Press & Other Stuff

Smith Machine Bench Press

bar/10
    50+/10
    100+/8
    150+/6
    190+/5
    220+/3 - started using mouth guard
    240+/3 at 9 RPE
    245+/3 at 9 RPE (longer rest period)
    200+/6 at 8.5 RPE
    200+/6 at 10 RPE
    180+/5 at 10 RPE (shorter rest period)

Smith Machine Barbell Row

90+/12
    140+/8
    190+/10 - started using Versa Gripps
    230+/8 at 10 RPE - started using mouth guard, could tell ROM got shorter at end of set

Smith Machine One Arm Rows - since dumbbells at PF top out at 60 lbs

90+/14 left, 12 right
    115+/10 left, 10 right

The range of motion on these wasn’t that broad, but my last felt like they had been hit hard.

Pull-ups - did these on the Smith Machine since I was there (bar locked at top of the track)

BW/16 at 10 RPE - the ROM was getting shorter with each rep after 12-13

Smith Machine High Incline Press

bar/10
    50+/10
    90+/10 at 7 RPE - started using mouth guard; easier than I expected
    120+/6 at 10 RPE
    90+/8 at 10 RPE

Hammer Strength Leg Press - weights listed are plates, and do not include the weight of the sled

sled/10
    180+/10
    360+/10
    450+/10
    540+/10 - started using mouth guard
    630+/10 at 9 RPE

Deep Incline Sit-Up

BW/12
    BW/12
    BW/15
    BW/15

I took my time on this one. Done in 1 hour 45 minutes.

I’m getting worried - I’m having some low back pain, which is new. Some days, I’m waking up with it. As I’m typing this, I feel it and I just took ibuprofen for it about an hour ago. I’ve felt it to the left (and right?) of my spine before. Now it’s in the middle of my lower back. I don’t remember doing anything to it. I’m supposed to deadlift tomorrow. I may have to call an audible. We’ll see.

Default Decisions and Goals for the Meet

starting strength coach development program
    After much thought, I’ve decided to compete at 93 kg at this meet (May 23). Now that I’m really old (I turn 45 in May) I’m in the Masters 1B division. The Maryland state record in the squat for M1B at 93 kg is only 227.5 kg. I squatted that in November weighing 94 kg. I have no doubt that barring injury or meltdown, I can move at least 230 kg at 93.

My 2 biggest challenges moving towards the meet: not being so tired that I find reasons not to train, and keeping my weight in check. I weighed 205.0 lbs on Sunday morning. So I need to eat at maintenance for the next 12 weeks. I could probably use a physical and mental break from trying to eat in a surplus. As for training, after an unplanned week+ off, I got back to the grind:

Tue. 3/2/21: Deadlift and other stuff

Hammer Strength Ab Crunch Machine (Smith machines were in use, so I started here)

20 lbs: 20, 15, 15

Smith Machine Deadlift

bar/10
    90+/10
    180+/6
    230+/4
    280+/4
    330+/2 - started using mouth guard
    380+/2 - started using Versa Gripps
    420+/2 - started using belt
    450+/2 at 8 RPE
    470+/2 at 9 RPE (watched it today... looks more like an 8, but felt like 9 when I did it)
    385+/5 at 7.5 RPE

Smith Machine Romanian Deadlift - stopped just short of lockout to keep tension on hamstrings

180+/8 - Versa Gripps
    230+/8 - mouth guard
    270+/8 at 8 RPE - belt

Smith Machine Overhead (Military) Press

bar/10
    25+/6
    50+/6
    75+/6
    100+/6 - mouth guard
    115+/4 at 9.5 RPE - belt
    95+/6 at 10 RPE - cheated to start last rep (sort of a push press.. on a Smith, I know)

Pull-ups - put the bar at the top of the Smith and did them right there

BW/10 - wide overhand
    BW/10 - medium overhand
    BW/12 - underhand

ROM got shorter near the end of each set. Back was fried, but not in pain.

Done in 1 hour 15 minutes.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast