Bodyfat: 29% scale says 22% now.
    Lean Mass: 193lbs Scale says 212lbs now
    Wrist: 7.9 inches
    Biceps: 17.5 inches
    forearms 15 inches
    waist 46 inches.
    Chest: 50 inches
    Starting 5X5: 95/135/155/245
    Current 5X5: 165/205/245/335 Good progress for 1 month lifting!

Im a former Cop, Registered Nurse, and one of Texas' Top Chess Teachers!

Goals:
    1:Get Strong and huge. Preferably with tree trunks for arms. I wanna be a mini Bill Kazmaier.
    2: Get my bodyfat down around 15%, waist under 40 inches
    3. Lots of big boy plates. Would like to see B/S/D 405/500/600, and able to do sets of 10 chinups.
    4. Have Crohn's disease. Currently in remission. Hoping to keep it that way. Flare ups kick my ass, and leave me practically bed bound with abdominal pain, weakness, vomiting, unable to eat, etc.

Current Diet: 300g protein daily. Lots of Chicken breast and eggs Shrimp and of course Milk (2%). I have been experimenting with eating blue bell Ice Cream after workouts... for the anabolic insulin spike, and to restore depleted glycogen stores in muscles. It has felt great so far, seeming to help with recovery and feeling awesome.
    Last edited by Quaitemes; 10-16-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Started a couple weeks ago with lighter weights, trying to ease into a routine. Gonna start my official log today:

10/05/20 Monday (feeling awesome after having recovered and rested all weekend)
    Squat: 5X5 @195lbs (made a 10lb jump from workout last friday)
    Bench: 5x5 @180lbs (feeling pain in my shoulders, seems to be getting better each workout though)
    Deadlift 1x5 @285lbs (warmed up with 225. Had to switch to mixed grip after 2 reps at working weight as bar slipped out of fingers. )
    Assisted Chins 3x20 @-160lbs (definitely feeling stronger. Could barely hang from bar a few weeks ago. )

Diet: ate 6 eggs, 1lb chicken,, 1lb beef, 1/2 gallon milk. Stuffed my face at taco bell after workout. (carb load?) felt good. might have protein shake before bed.
    Last edited by Quaitemes; 10-05-2020 at 06:23 PM.

You may want to cut some calories initially to get your waist size down and lose fat. You're a bit guy and since you are starting at a low strength baseline you can increase your strength a lot while cutting. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    You may want to cut some calories initially to get your waist size down and lose fat. You're a bit guy and since you are starting at a low strength baseline you can increase your strength a lot while cutting. Good luck!
    Hey! Thanks for reply! Much appreciated. It was my original plan to try to cut and build strength and gain muscle at the same time. I then figured that I should probably just focus 100% on gaining as much strength as I can as fast as I can. I figure if I am lucky I can go 12 weeks getting big easy noob gains. I figure I will dump as much fuel into the furnace as I need to power that growth and progress. I figure I will hit a plateau/need to deload at some point, and maybe then can start cutting etc.

This summer I had lost about 20lbs doing a keto/carnivore diet, and got down to 260 before I started lifting in early september. I literally gained 10lbs back in a week as soon as I started lifting (had to have been a lot of water weight/glycogen stores. (bodyfat composition stayed the same). Might have contributed a little bit to my weakness (that and just recovering from long illness)

Its tough swallowing the ego and starting light. I remember being young and healthy, and as strong as an ox( didn't train, but could deadlift 435 just from working my whole life)
    Going back a few weeks ago, I am a sad shell of my former self. I am having a lot of fun though, and I think this will be very good for me!

Thanks again! It is great to have feedback from guys with a lot more experience than me!

Tuesday 10/06/2020

Press: 5x5 @140 Crushed it! love OHP. My favorite exercise.
    Row 7x5 @140 Felt strong. Experimented some extra sets with variations in form (some supinated grip, some pronated, some strict back parallel.) Still trying to figure out the best form here.
    F. Squat 5x5@140 I felt like total shit after 2 sets. last 3 sets had to push myself very hard. Hit a wall as far as energy, sweat just pouring out of me like a waterfall). Strength not limiting factor.
    Chin Ups 3x20@-160 Felt completely gassed going in. Only got 12 reps first set. 20 on 2nd and only 12 again on last set. Maybe need to only train chinups on MWF?

Diet today:
    Missed breakfast, had to go into work early. Grabbed chick filet ate nuggets and chicken burger with real lemonade 20 minutes before workout. (Maybe bad to eat carbs right before workout?)
    Will update later with rest of meals. Not feeling hungry, just exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaitemes View Post
    Grabbed chick filet ate nuggets and chicken burger with real lemonade 20 minutes before workout. (Maybe bad to eat carbs right before workout?)
    Unless you’re trying to be in a caloric deficit, why would it be bad?

As for the pull-ups, are you doing them everyday? If so, then every other day might be worth a try. Also consider doing them first in the workout and see how you do.

10/7/2020 Wednesday

Had a great workout today. I feel so tired and stiff every morning. Crohns disease is a bitch. Im gonna keep fighting. I have a 3month old son I have to get healthy for.

Squat: 5x5@205lbs ten pound jump again! Feeling pretty easy. Hope I can keep making linear progress.
    Bench: 5x5@185lbs Pain in shoulder much less. Keeping elbows tucked in, and scooting up on bench a little to make unrack easier.
    Deadlift: 1x5@295lbs crushed it today. knocked out all 5 reps no grip slippage. is it ok to touch and go since I am using stupid hex plates? (full stop and resets are annoying cause I gotta reset feet every time.
    Chinups: 3x20 @-160lbs Much easier today than yesterday.

10/9/2020 Friday
    Had to skip yesterday because of work schedule. Made up for it with a long workout today. Took me 3 hours to get through everything. (I dropped the front squat since I was basically doing a double workout today.)

Press: 5x5 @145lbs
    Supinated Row: 3x5 @145lbs (These were easy compared to OHP. Prolly gonna stall on press before Rows)
    Pronated Row: 3x5 @145lbs
    Squat: 5x5 @215lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @305lbs
    Bench Press: 5x5 @190lbs (this was hard as hell. Not sure if its cause I also did press today, and long workout leaving me drained, or if weight is just getting heavy for me)
    Chinups (assissted) 3x20 @-160lbs (grinded these out. Could really feel it in the biceps. Just pushed through the pain from reps 10-20. Gonna try -145lbs next week)
    Last edited by Quaitemes; 10-09-2020 at 05:49 PM.

10/12/2020 Monday

Squat: 5x5 @225lbs
    Press: 5x5 @150lbs
    Row: 6x5 @150lbs (3pronated grip, 3 supinated)
    Deadlift: 1x5 @315lbs
    Bench Press: 5x5 @195lbs
    Chin (assisted): 5x10 @-145lbs

Ate a bowl of strawberry bluebell Icecream after workout. Very satisfying. I think maybe there is something to inducing an insulin response post workout. (Or maybe it is just body wanting to replenish glycogen stores).

I dont think I will able to sustain these long workouts for much longer. Will probably also have to switch to 3 workout days a week (MWF) to facilitate recovery (the workouts are becoming much more taxing as the weight increases)

starting strength coach development program
    10/13/2020 Tuesday

I just screwed around today. Wanted to work out, but didn't want to interfere with my progression tomorrow.

Bench Press: 5x10 @135lbs Just wanted to work on my form, and maybe get a little volume to help me get better.
    seated Preacher Curls: 5x5@75lbs (did these mostly cause there were 2 smoking hot chicks thrusting their butts up in the air doing God
    knows what exercises, and I just wanted to enjoy the view)
    Assisted Chins 4x15 @-145lbs Last set I did to failure, got to 22 before my forearms and grips died on me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast