starting strength gym
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Cole's HLM/TM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Great job! Congratulations! I will be so glad when May 20th gets here for my meet. I feel like Heinz Ketchup, anticipation!
    Thank you sir! Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Wow, getting right back at it! I'm going to wait until Monday to start back lifting. Again, congrats on the successful meet. Sounds like you're on the right track programming wise!
    Thanks Skid, Id really like to get to a 485 squat like you. About getting back into it, see post below lol.....

In hindsight, I should have taken the week off after my meet, or at least an intro week. I went directly back into a volume day one day after the comp, then hit intensity singles less than a week out from the meet. That ended up frying my low back, especially noticeable on pulls. I knew from the warmups that deads were not feeling good, but since I have OCD I wanted to do the program as written, no exceptions. Low back really fatigued, always feels "pumped" when bending over, low back joints achy and stiff...just basically too much fatigue. I know what it feels like by now, and I can usually push through that fatigue with squats and bench, but sure as hell not pulls. Well, mental note: NEXT TIME TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! No big deal, I will end up taking a few days to recover, then get back into it. Just would have made more sense to take the rest directly after the meet, especially since I have one coming up again so soon...Cant complain too much since I had a near perfect meet prep for the last one. Also, wife has covid, son has stomach flu, all 3 kids home from school anyway due to some holiday, so Im doing everything today and lifting just doesn't seem fun right now. Will assess tomorrow. Carry on fellow lifters!

2/27
    Volume (reduced)

Squat - 275 x 5, 295 x 5, 315 x 5
    Bench Press - 225 x 5, 235 x 5, 245 x 5

--> Been a long 10 days. Thanks to my 9 year old, I got a violent stomach bug that set me back a bit. I invited a bunch of his friends to a trampoline park and ordered a bunch of pizza, which I also partook in, unwisely since Im sure I got it from some kid that was touching all the pizzas and had probably not washed his hands....next time ill pass on the poop covered pizza I guess. Anyway, both kids caught it too but obviously bounced back the next day. All this while the wife has had covid for 10 days so I still had to try to manage the house. It was fun. Anyway, strength way down today and I had to modify the volume day. Will do a recovery day wednesday and I will start with triples for my Intensity days starting this week....Will probably run it out from triple-->doubles-->singles unless I decide to do rotating I days. No meet ahead, I withdrew from the Elevate Barbell Meet coming up this month since I just had one, motivation is low, and obviously this last bout of the flu kicked my ass. Dont think I could make it back to previous levels. I did register for the Staying Alive Classics in Ft Collins this September, so as that gets closer (~8 weeks) I will look at going back to the TM for PL, I day singles. Until then I dont mind continuing with TM as long as I keep fatigue in check. If it gets a little too fatiguing I will move to HLM

After the stomach bug, I had about 1 week of training, then got the COVID, which wasn't deadly but definitely wasn't fun and put me down for about 2 weeks. Started back up way too aggressive and have been having low back issues ever since. Need to work back conservatively since I don't have a meet until Sept.

4/17
    HLM

Squat
    295 x 5 x 3

TnG Bench
    235 x 5 x 3

Notes: Something is going on with my low back joints/ligaments/nerves. Making squatting uncomfortable and pulling not possible for the last week or so. So I skipped the DL's today and will try again next Monday. Overall today did not feel good, but I got some work in and I will look to build back up from here. I also will try to start walking 3x a week and logging the time/distance for those now that the weather is getting nice. At the moment, I get less sunshine than your common prison inmate.

4/19
    HLM

High Bar Squat
    245 x 5 x 3

Press
    125 x 5 x 3

Chins
    BW x 5 x 3

Nots: Sometimes taking a step back in volume/load is needed. Will do my ~2mi walk again tomorrow to get some sunshine and exercise.

4/21
    HLM

Squat
    270 x 5 x 3

Close Grip Bench
    225 x 5 x 3

RDL
    135 x 5 x 3

Notes: RDLs super easy, will be jumping like +20 pounds first couple weeks. Squats felt ok, low back still inflamed/achy/stiff. Just kind of going through the motions.

GO AVS!

4/24
    HLM

Squat
    295 x 5 x 5

TnG Bench
    235 x 5 x 5

DL
    325 x 5

Notes: Long session but it felt good. Good to get acclimated back to some volume. Pulls felt fine on my back, I think I just had some soreness/achiness from over reaching. I have a fairly conservative cycle mapped out for the next 9 weeks. Should allow for some recovery and gradual gains.

starting strength coach development program
    4/26
    HLM

High Bar Squat
    235 x 5 x 2

Press
    125 x 5 x 3

Chins
    5, 5, 5

Notes: Easy session. Couple of light squat sets to work out the low back tweaks I have from being a sedentary ~40 yr old dude. Might add weight belt for chins at some point as 5s with bodyweight are fairly easy. Tried doing press 2.0 but it doesnt feel as stable. My reasoning was that for bench I use a stretch reflex with the bottom point being the explosion point, so my press should be the same. Doesnt really work that way in practice bc I feel way better exploding from the start position as opposed to mid movement. So press 1.0 it is. In other news, just signed a real estate contract for a new primary residence. If we end up closing, it will be a better spot to raise the boys and much more private. Really excited but also stressed as it will add quite a bit of financial obligation. Healthy stress Im calling it!

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast