starting strength gym
Page 2296 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1296179621962246228622942295229622972298230623462396 ... LastLast
Results 22,951 to 22,960 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Like this? Instagram
    trying everything lately: Instagram

his rack in his garage cracks me up. Looks pretty generic, and wimpy compared to the stuff the Garage Gyms thread that we debate over.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    This is nothing compared to the tales I have been told. I don't know why people love telling me what they lifted back in high school, but when I was in Las Vegas recently I heard one that really takes the cake. The bouncer asked me what I benched and squatted. I told him that I had been off lifting for a while, but I was on the path to hit 680+ with wraps before I got injured. He then told me that "back in high school"... wait for it... he squatted 1000x3!!!!! He was lucky if he weighed 200-220# too. :-)
    I must be the only guy who was happy with my 285 bench in high school. I guess lying is easier than training.

Just came back from the gym. Saw a guy sitting, talking to a woman on the sled pushing carpet for a full set of squats and presses.
    Last edited by Calvin; 05-23-2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: more complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    I must be the only guy who was happy with my 285 bench in high school. I guess lying is easier than training.

Just came back from the gym. Saw a guy sitting, talking to a woman on the sled pushing carpet for a full set of squats and presses.
    225 in college here...

I saw two kids talking, one of them leaning on the power rack, for a solid 20 minutes while I was OHPing in the other, adjacent rack. I don't think anybody was actively waiting for it but it still annoyed the hell out of me. Then as I was getting ready to leave one of them actually started to squat. Why wouldn't you talk between sets if you were actually planning on using the equipment? I guess at this point in my life I have literally no concept of what it's like to not be in a hurry....

I usually hear 500ish for bench and 700-800 in the squat. Usually they ask me what I lift, and then they just top that and add the caveat of "back in high school" to it. :-)

I usually hear 500ish for bench and 700-800 in the squat. Usually they ask me what I lift, and then they just top that and add the caveat of "back in high school" to it. :-)
    If I were inclined to lie, I'd say something believable but respectable. Like "I'm usually good for 300/400/500 for reps but I'm recovering from a hermia right now."

I feel like that's a lie that most people would accept from a guy with a little mass.

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    225 in college here...

I saw two kids talking, one of them leaning on the power rack, for a solid 20 minutes while I was OHPing in the other, adjacent rack. I don't think anybody was actively waiting for it but it still annoyed the hell out of me. Then as I was getting ready to leave one of them actually started to squat. Why wouldn't you talk between sets if you were actually planning on using the equipment? I guess at this point in my life I have literally no concept of what it's like to not be in a hurry....
    I finished press and looked behind me and they were talking outside the locker room!

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Man, I remember fighting with a 95lb bench in college.
    In high school I started out with something like that. I remember trying 135, since everyone just started with one plate. I couldn't do it.

In high school I started out with something like that. I remember trying 135, since everyone just started with one plate. I couldn't do it.
    Pretty sure I was struggling to bench 85lb when I first started lifting a few years ago. Out of curiosity, what was your weight and height just after high school Callador?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Pretty sure I was struggling to bench 85lb when I first started lifting a few years ago. Out of curiosity, what was your weight and height just after high school Callador?
    I "started" lifting earlier in high school, like 9th or 10th grade. I lifted for few weeks and then quit for long periods of time. Back then I was probably 260 by the end of sophomore year. After that I ballooned up big time in a bad way. I was over 300 my junior year and probably hit 340-350 by the time I graduated and went to college. That summer before college I started lifting (mainly benching and other bro stuff), and hit 185 for 3 or so. My freshman year of college I cut a lot of weight, like down to 250 by the end of my first semester. I started it in early August, but it was a rapid cut. I managed to maintain my strength, but I didn't gain any. Only after I settled down between 250-260 and started lifting more normally I got stronger again. Still not super strong by any means, but I could bench 285 in college. It was only after getting on a real program (many years later) that my lifts started to improve.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Man, I remember fighting with a 95lb wench in college.
    Did she win?