Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone smoke a pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I don't know what the hell happened, but I've lost interest in smoking. Haven't smoked in months.

I did, however, buy that Stihl powerhead that can be used with multiple attachments. Love it.
    Solid. Is it easy to change the attachments? Is ther good power transmission from the engine to the attachment?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Only sold direct from Boswell? Have any of their giant pipes?
    I've only bought their tobacco when I visited their shop. Those giant pipes are pretty ridiculous. That is probably something like a two hour smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    What are you guys smoking these days? I just had a bowl of Sutliff Private Stock "Top shelf" (bourbon-flavored) at lunch. It is a decent aromatic blend, and smoked well freshly opened.
    I don't smoke unless it's below 75 degrees outside in the evening. Which means I probably won't get to smoke again till October...

But if I was smoking right now it would be Dunhill Nightcap, or Anniversary Kake (H&H VA/Perique).

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    After smoking local tobacco shop flavored blends for years, I decided to try decent tobacco. Started with Dunhill Nightcap, and smoked my first bowl of it today. Prior to reading this thread I just thought the local blends were what everyone smoked. I had to go online to figure out how to open the damn tin.

Wow. Much better than anything I've had previously. I usually drink some tea shortly after smoking because I don't like the aftertaste, but not with this stuff. Just a really pleasant smoke.

...makes me want a decent pipe now. And more tobaccos.
    I was attracted to "Tins" because they are sealed, can improve with age, and are the most consistent, anywhere in the world, more or less from year to year. Nightcap is as good of an example as their is.

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    ...makes me want a decent pipe now. And more tobaccos.
    And so begins your lifelong search for the perfect pipe ...

Solid. Is it easy to change the attachments? Is the good power transmission from the engine to the attachment?
    Super easy. Loosen 1 knob; remove attachment, insert new attachment; tighten knob. At first it seemed too easy. I thought I was doing something wrong. But Stihl must employ some kick-ass engineers. The system is really amazing.

Power transmission is superb. The power head is a ~27cc, 800W 2-stroke. Ample power for most "suburban yard" type shit.

I was attracted to "Tins" because they are sealed, can improve with age, and are the most consistent, anywhere in the world, more or less from year to year. Nightcap is as good of an example as their is.
    After reading this whole thread, I wanted to try the McClelland Samovar, but I couldn't find it stocked anywhere. One of the Frog Mortons seems like a good next step, that smoked tobacco smell is intoxicating.

And so begins your lifelong search for the perfect pipe ...
    I started with a corn cob and eventually splurged for a $20 pipe made of some kind of wood years ago. An entry level briar wood sounds like a good idea for Christmas this year.

I've purchased a number of cheap briars over the years. In my opinion, if you're going to go cheap, get a big cob. A big cop always beats a sub $70 briar IMO. Cheap briars tend to smoke wet and are difficult to keep lit. If you're going to spend some money (~$90), get a Stanwell. If you want to spend a lot of money, there's a big world of handmade pipes to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I've purchased a number of cheap briars over the years. In my opinion, if you're going to go cheap, get a big cob. A big cop always beats a sub $70 briar IMO. Cheap briars tend to smoke wet and are difficult to keep lit. If you're going to spend some money (~$90), get a Stanwell. If you want to spend a lot of money, there's a big world of handmade pipes to explore.
    Used pipes can be great smokers and great value but I like breaking them in myself

Used pipes can be great smokers and great value but I like breaking them in myself
    Yes, but used pipes have been a hit or miss for me (mostly miss). I bought a really nice used Castello, but whoever had it before me must have smoked straight latakia in it, because even after having it professionally cleaned it still tasted sour. Ended up letting pipestud ebay it off for me. But I've met a number of people who've had good experiences with used pipes.

I kind of enjoy the process of breaking in pipes. Though, I had a Peterson that never broke in, even after 20 bowls of Carter Hall smoked to ash in it.

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast