starting strength gym

Thread: Warm - Up Sets

Default Warm - Up Sets

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    up to one point does the 4 warm up sets prior to squatting or 3 on the deadlift not become optimal? and what is better more warm up sets or fewer but higher jumps?

i ask this because when i check some posts and logs some warm up w/ 5 or more sets including the empty bar.

That's a highly personal matter. The best teacher for you for that is the iron itself. Try both, you will figure out what you need.

Where did you hear that 4 warm up sets on squat and 3 on deadlifts are the magic numbers?

I agree with BCS though that it is pretty individual.

For me, I use a bunch of warm ups because I'm a little older (30's) and I usually feel pretty stiff. It's also good for me from a psychological stand point to forget about the rest of the day and get into the lifting mindset.

How do you know when you should have used more warm-up sets? Is it something you can feel in your first set, or you just know becasue you get injured?

I'd recommend developing a personal warm-up template that you "always" use, until/unless a better way becomes apparent.

For the snatch, I "always:"

20kg (2x3)
    30kg (2x3)
    40kg (2x3)
    50kg x3
    60kg x2

Then on to whatever weights I'll hit that day. When you have a constant warm-up template, over time you'll learn what certain weights "usually" feel like. Then, on subsequent workouts, you'll know if you're on course for a great day, or not. Occasionally, especially as you get stronger, you can change the template, which is as it should be. However, before you modify it. you should first have a routine template to modify.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    up to one point does the 4 warm up sets prior to squatting or 3 on the deadlift not become optimal? and what is better more warm up sets or fewer but higher jumps?

i ask this because when i check some posts and logs some warm up w/ 5 or more sets including the empty bar.

Quote Originally Posted by zepled37 View Post
    Where did you hear that 4 warm up sets on squat and 3 on deadlifts are the magic numbers?
    i didnt hear it i read it at page 292 of SS or my reading comprehension is weak.

so it's a personal matter then. hmm. i also ask this because when i squatted last tym at 225 i didnt feel warm enough and the 40lb jumps seem too big for me. good thing i made it through

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    i didnt hear it i read it at page 292 of SS or my reading comprehension is weak.

so it's a personal matter then. hmm. i also ask this because when i squatted last tym at 225 i didnt feel warm enough and the 40lb jumps seem too big for me. good thing i made it through

Do you have the second edition? Just curious I just skimmed through this section and it seems to provide much more latitude for adjustment than this and the 3-4 warm up sets are stated for upper body movements after you have already squatted.

In any case, I would say it is more of a personal matter. Do more of a warm up if you need to, but just don't wear yourself out. Lyle's articles linked above seem pretty spot on to me.

starting strength coach development program
    @zepled i knew it i have poor reading comprehension. i never realized that it is just an EXAMPLE

nice link lyle though i read a thread in rip's Q&A and he said that stretching(dynamic or static) is counterproductive if the trainee is without flexibility issues. but still i think that it is more of a personal preference