starting strength gym

Thread: Quick Question Regard Workout Order

Default Quick Question Regard Workout Order

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recall the Rip said it was ok to do the day's exercised at different times during that day.

I have broken mine into two groups. A lunch time set and then an early
    evening set. However, the gym at the office does not have squat rack or cage so I do everything but squat there. I do the squats at home after I get home from work.

Is there any major problem in doing it this way?

Only if you find that the lunchtime work negatively impacts on the evening work. Beyond that, no.

Hey Bergie:

Obviously Rip places the squat first in the programming to reflect it's high priority and the fact that it is one of the most difficult lifts, demanding a great deal of your energy and focus. And any exercise that comes later in the workout will be effected by the exercises done before it; how much is probably a question of the individual's response.

HOWEVER, it's not as if your squat progress will suddenly come to a screeching halt if things are done the way that you're describing. Of course, if it's truly a choice between, I don't know, dropping important exercises from the program or doing stuff the way you described above, then you'd probably choose the latter. Do what you have to and get it done.

Only other thing I might add is that deadlifts done prior to the squat, even several hours earlier, will have a much more detrimental effect than either the bench or the press. Do with that information what you will.

-Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
    Only if you find that the lunchtime work negatively impacts on the evening work. Beyond that, no.
    As an example, if you do something earlier in the day that wrecks your upper back (rows, cleans, deads), don't be surprised if your squats get ruined by an inability to shoulder the weight well.

Thanks for the input.