starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about taking a break from 3x5 squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I used to have fatigue in my upper back when I squatted, however this was due to that fact I failed to keep my chest during the sets. This is usually done by a lack of proper cues or a tendency to look down all way too much.

try this routine instead...

Monday: Guns

Dumbell Concentration Curls (3 sets of 12-15)

Preacher Curls with EZ-Curl Bar (3 sets of 12-15): I try to keep my range of motion to just the top 1/3 of the lift because it really helps me feel the burn.

Cable Curls with EZ-Curl Cable Handle (3 sets of 8-12): This is my main mass builder that I hit after I’ve already worked on shape.

Alternating Dumbell Curls on 60 Degree Incline Bench, Supinating Hands: (3 sets of 8-12): Another mass monster. These really work my lower bicep!

Tricep Kickbacks (3 sets of 15-20): ‘nuff said

Rope Pushdowns (3 sets of 12-15): The key here is to pull your hands apart at the bottom. If you can’t feel the burn with these, then there’s something wrong. These hit the “horseshoe” that the ladies salivate over.

Cable French Press Machine (3 sets of 8-12) Killer for size. These’ll put slabs of meat on the backs of your arms. Great for the long head of the tricep.

Close Grip Burnouts: (3 sets of ???): This is an excellent finisher. Just grab a barbell, or better yet, an EZ-Curl bar, and rep out, baby. No need to add any weight (maybe nickels if you’re using an EZ-Curl Bar) – just hit it for as many reps as you can muster. If you have a spotter, finish the set with 10 negatives. Have her lift the bar off your chest… you just lower it as slow as you can. Your girlfriend can thank me later for this one.

Tuesday: Pecs

After guns, pecs is the second most important muscle group. It consists of three different muscles, the upper pecs, the lower pecs and the middle or main pecs.

Incline Smith Machine Press (3 sets of 10-12): This works the upper pecs really well. It’s important to always start with inclines. Some guys work the flat stuff first, but upper pecs are what really draw attention. When you’re wearing a tight t-shirt, the upper pec’s are what really give your chest that “pop”.

Flat Smith Machine Press (3 sets of 10-12): Not much to say here. Use a weight that lets you get 8-9 reps, then have your spotter help you with a couple forced reps, then a couple negatives. Can you say “burn”?

Decline flyes (3 sets of 15-20): I don’t really like using dumbbells because, truthfully, they’re often a recipe for injury. It’s best to lock in your range of motion with a machine of some sort, but sometimes, the flyes machine doesn’t let you raise the seat enough to make it a true decline. Just be sure to use light weight on these. The idea is to control it and really squeeze your lower pecs together at the top. You know you’ve been doing good on these when you can grasp a ten pound plate with your meavage (male cleavage).

Flye Machine (3 sets of 12-15): You can go a little heavier on these because it’s a machine, but still keep it relatively light. This is a good shaper for the main pecs.

Cable Crossovers (1 set of ???): That’s right… burn it out. Every workout should end with a burnout set. It gets your metabolism going. If you want to be shredded, take my advice.

Wednesday: Guns

Repeat Monday or some variation of. As we talked about, guns are the strongest, most important muscle group and for that reason, they can tolerate more work than the others.

Thursday: Deltoids

Giant Set (3-way superset), side cable laterals, rear cable laterals, front raises with a plate (3 sets of 12-15 each): You want cannonball delts? This is how to get it done. Make sure to change the setup on the cable machine between subsets 1 and 2 as quickly as possible. You want this to be one continuous set for the best pump.

If you do your giant set the right way, you really don’t need to do anything more for delts. If you want, you can do a little bit of Smith Machine work, but make sure not to overtrain. If you get too much lactic acid in your muscles, it can disintegrate the fibers. Maybe just one burnout set with no weight.

Friday: Lats and Quads

No one really sees these muscles, so you definitely want to work them at the end of the week. If you live in a warmer climate and have your shirt off a lot, you may want to hit your lats a little harder than most.

Lats:

Wide Grip, Behind the Neck Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): These give you the V-shape. The wider you can grip the bar, the wider your V will be. It’s fact and has been written about in a lot of articles. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, bitches, it’s Lat-man.

Front Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): Again, think wide!

Machine Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12, 1 burnout): Hopefully, your club has one of these Hammer Strength machines cuz it’s the BOMB!

Quads:

Be careful here. You don’t want big tree trunk legs. You’ve got to hit these just enough to bring out the tear drop and, if you’re lucky, maybe a few striations.

Leg extensions (5 sets of 15-20, 1 burnout): Keep the reps high for maximum pain. You’ll notice I put these down for 5 sets. Just concentrate on these. Most other leg exercises will make you too bulky, and jeans for big legged guys are hard to find, right, fellas? By all means, DO NOT squat unless you want to end up in a wheelchair with your knee muscles all torn up.

Leg curls (3 sets of 15-20): These work the back of your quads. A lot of people don’t bother with them, but it’s a little known fact that you can get striations in the back of your quads, too. Just keep it light to work on shape.

Everyday: Abs

Crunches on a ball (5 sets of 100): Get a ball at home so you can dedicate some time to shredding up your abs. Every other set, go side to side so you hit your intercostals and serratus.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    try this routine instead...

monday: Guns

dumbell concentration curls (3 sets of 12-15)

preacher curls with ez-curl bar (3 sets of 12-15): I try to keep my range of motion to just the top 1/3 of the lift because it really helps me feel the burn.

Cable curls with ez-curl cable handle (3 sets of 8-12): This is my main mass builder that i hit after i’ve already worked on shape.

Alternating dumbell curls on 60 degree incline bench, supinating hands: (3 sets of 8-12): Another mass monster. These really work my lower bicep!

Tricep kickbacks (3 sets of 15-20): ‘nuff said

rope pushdowns (3 sets of 12-15): The key here is to pull your hands apart at the bottom. If you can’t feel the burn with these, then there’s something wrong. These hit the “horseshoe” that the ladies salivate over.

Cable french press machine (3 sets of 8-12) killer for size. These’ll put slabs of meat on the backs of your arms. Great for the long head of the tricep.

Close grip burnouts: (3 sets of ???): This is an excellent finisher. Just grab a barbell, or better yet, an ez-curl bar, and rep out, baby. No need to add any weight (maybe nickels if you’re using an ez-curl bar) – just hit it for as many reps as you can muster. If you have a spotter, finish the set with 10 negatives. Have her lift the bar off your chest… you just lower it as slow as you can. Your girlfriend can thank me later for this one.

tuesday: Pecs

after guns, pecs is the second most important muscle group. It consists of three different muscles, the upper pecs, the lower pecs and the middle or main pecs.

Incline smith machine press (3 sets of 10-12): This works the upper pecs really well. It’s important to always start with inclines. Some guys work the flat stuff first, but upper pecs are what really draw attention. When you’re wearing a tight t-shirt, the upper pec’s are what really give your chest that “pop”.

Flat smith machine press (3 sets of 10-12): Not much to say here. Use a weight that lets you get 8-9 reps, then have your spotter help you with a couple forced reps, then a couple negatives. Can you say “burn”?

Decline flyes (3 sets of 15-20): I don’t really like using dumbbells because, truthfully, they’re often a recipe for injury. It’s best to lock in your range of motion with a machine of some sort, but sometimes, the flyes machine doesn’t let you raise the seat enough to make it a true decline. Just be sure to use light weight on these. The idea is to control it and really squeeze your lower pecs together at the top. You know you’ve been doing good on these when you can grasp a ten pound plate with your meavage (male cleavage).

Flye machine (3 sets of 12-15): You can go a little heavier on these because it’s a machine, but still keep it relatively light. This is a good shaper for the main pecs.

Cable crossovers (1 set of ???): That’s right… burn it out. Every workout should end with a burnout set. It gets your metabolism going. If you want to be shredded, take my advice.

wednesday: Guns

repeat monday or some variation of. As we talked about, guns are the strongest, most important muscle group and for that reason, they can tolerate more work than the others.

thursday: Deltoids

giant set (3-way superset), side cable laterals, rear cable laterals, front raises with a plate (3 sets of 12-15 each): You want cannonball delts? This is how to get it done. Make sure to change the setup on the cable machine between subsets 1 and 2 as quickly as possible. You want this to be one continuous set for the best pump.

If you do your giant set the right way, you really don’t need to do anything more for delts. If you want, you can do a little bit of smith machine work, but make sure not to overtrain. If you get too much lactic acid in your muscles, it can disintegrate the fibers. Maybe just one burnout set with no weight.

friday: Lats and quads

no one really sees these muscles, so you definitely want to work them at the end of the week. If you live in a warmer climate and have your shirt off a lot, you may want to hit your lats a little harder than most.

lats:

wide grip, behind the neck pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): These give you the v-shape. The wider you can grip the bar, the wider your v will be. It’s fact and has been written about in a lot of articles. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, bitches, it’s lat-man.

Front pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): Again, think wide!

Machine pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12, 1 burnout): Hopefully, your club has one of these hammer strength machines cuz it’s the bomb!

quads:

be careful here. You don’t want big tree trunk legs. You’ve got to hit these just enough to bring out the tear drop and, if you’re lucky, maybe a few striations.

Leg extensions (5 sets of 15-20, 1 burnout): Keep the reps high for maximum pain. You’ll notice i put these down for 5 sets. Just concentrate on these. Most other leg exercises will make you too bulky, and jeans for big legged guys are hard to find, right, fellas? By all means, do not squat unless you want to end up in a wheelchair with your knee muscles all torn up.

Leg curls (3 sets of 15-20): These work the back of your quads. A lot of people don’t bother with them, but it’s a little known fact that you can get striations in the back of your quads, too. Just keep it light to work on shape.

everyday: Abs

crunches on a ball (5 sets of 100): Get a ball at home so you can dedicate some time to shredding up your abs. Every other set, go side to side so you hit your intercostals and serratus.
    :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

What's scary and sad is that except for a few of the more obvious bits of sarcasm, this looks an awful lot like the articles I took as gospel back in the 90's.

Geoff, did you copy this from somewhere and tweak it?

Yeah I can't take credit for this. It was posted by a guy on Sherdog several years ago. And yes he was being sarcastic (the Strength & Conditioning forum over there is very similar to this forum in terms of goals and mindset).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    What's scary and sad is that except for a few of the more obvious bits of sarcasm, this looks an awful lot like the articles I took as gospel back in the 90's.

Geoff, did you copy this from somewhere and tweak it?

There's no glute day, and if you're wondering where to squeeze the glutes into your schedule, it's Sunday because that's the Lord's day and he intended his day for the sculpting of glutes. Amen.

Glute works makes you Big and Bulky. And that's a Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    There's no glute day, and if you're wondering where to squeeze the glutes into your schedule, it's Sunday because that's the Lord's day and he intended his day for the sculpting of glutes. Amen.

Glad to see others shouldering the asshole duties.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Glad to see others shouldering the asshole duties.

-S.
    You're not alone....

nobody

I said to raise your DL vol a little. Read that part. The bar hurts your back, hence you need a stronger back. Use DL to get this. I figured you could take it from there.....There are lots of ways to accomplish this, and if you're gonna be squatting less (which is basically what you're saying), then throw in some more DL work rather than curls or pulley bullshit for your "nice" upper body. Go light, taking your CNS into account and just add a light DL day here and there and see what happens. The basic template will work just fine for you, and you don't need to modify it. But since you seem to lack patience and are going to change it anyway, here's an idea, do DL's.

PS. You don't need to squat 3 times a week to be a man.....what you need is a beard.............

starting strength coach development program
    Geoff, nice post made me laugh. My Troll-o-meter is tingling right now. His shoulders are getting tired? Seriously? Just rest a little longer before benching, or as it was stated move it first. Get your rest, eat, drink your milk...you will adapt. Jesus this is too easy man, there are guys/gals cranking out this program with horrible situations and physical ailments and you're worried about "your shoulders getting tired".....wow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast