starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another press thread

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coldfire: How about because it's indicative that your program has broken down and that you need to find something else. My more visceral response would be that if you need that much rest then your conditioning is inadequate to lift weights in a progressive manner. 3-5 minutes tends to be pretty standard rest between heavy sets, and allows for full metabolic recovery and an almost complete neurological recovery. Between 5-10 minutes of rest in between sets indicates that your nervous system is being taxed tremendously, and this will eventually lead to regression and burn out, usually sooner than later, unless some parameters are changed.

In addition to that, if a lifter is looking for hypertrophy, then the long rests in between sets will be much less effective than shorter rests.

Everyone here is obviously looking for validation rather than alternative ways to get your press up.

Microloading (2.5 pounds increases) for a 135 pound press is the same percentage increase as a 5 pound increase in a squat of 270. Would you say that 5 pounds increases are pointless in the squat at 270?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaf View Post
    Microloading is a terrible option. If you have to microload, you're not doing things right.
    Not that it matters, but you pretty much lost me after I read the above.

If you are going to make such a blanket assertion that microloading is wrong in spite of the many people who have had success with it, you need to back it up, or look the fool.

Please clarify.

-Bowdirk

he thinks microloading means loading a half pound at a time. or it means increasing by 1-2lb at a time, but then the plates vary by more than that anyway, so that's pointless too. it is also shameful.

So, if you are going to microload, you are also going to need to weigh each and every plate you use unless they are already calibrated. Have you done this?
    I believe the solution recommended in the book was to mark the plates, and use the same ones every workout. That way, even if they're off by a few pounds, you're still increasing the weight by approximately the same amount every week, even with <5lb jumps. I try to use the same equipment every workout, availability permitting (though it's tricky when people are moving the plates around).

i never marked the plates (at a globo mind you) and made 1.25 and 2.5lb jumps on my press during SS and never ran into any anomalies where i, for example, finished 3x5xY but got annihilated by Y+1.25. you would think after several months of pressing as prescribed in SS that i would have run into these mythical super heavy plates.

Everyone here is obviously looking for validation rather than alternative ways to get your press up.
    I think people are open to alternative ways, just not without some sort of experience or data to back it up.

I have nothing more to say on this topic.

Well, thanks for your thoughts.

starting strength coach development program
    I have nothing more to say on this topic.
    Thank god for that. Read Article

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast