starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why use a 7 day week?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Keeping the same names and changing all the values would cause a lot of confusion. It could work for weeks and months, but I'd rather keep the second the way it is, and use hectoseconds, kiloseconds etc. Or we could use the day as the standard unit, and divide it into decidays, centidays, millidays etc.

I don't use a 7-day week. I use a 10 day schedule, and to keep myself straight, refer to it as my "training week." Mathematically, 4 of my "training weeks" = 5 calendar weeks. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Staley View Post
    I've been arguing for the idea of metric time for years

100 yrs = Century. OK we already do this, it makes sense. Then:
    10 months = 1 year
    10 weeks = 1 month
    1 days = 1 week
    10 hrs = 1 day
    10 mins = 1 hr
    10 secs = 1 min
    Is this serious?

You realize that a year is 365 days because thats how long it takes to go around the sun right?

And that a day is 24 hours because thats how long it takes for the earth to rotate on its axis?

They werent just arbitrarily made up numbers.

"And that a day is 24 hours because thats how long it takes for the earth to rotate on its axis?"

This is completely arbitrary. You can redefine this to be any number of hours.

THe year is not arbitrary though and due to it being factored by two primes (5 and 73), doesn't give us many options. I like 13 28 day months and a 5 day holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    "And that a day is 24 hours because thats how long it takes for the earth to rotate on its axis?"

This is completely arbitrary. You can redefine this to be any number of hours.

THe year is not arbitrary though and due to it being factored by two primes (5 and 73), doesn't give us many options. I like 13 28 day months and a 5 day holiday.

Well, yeah I guess in a way the day is arbitrary but you couldn't take it down to 10 hours. You could only take each day up to 48 or 72. If there were 10 hour days, some would be all dark, some all light, and some in between. 1 rotation was used because it give us one light and one dark period per "day". That works best for sleep patterns.

I don't think he was actually serious with with metric time thing though.

Shall we call this the Skibicki calendar? Yeah, Pope Gregory has had his day. Maybe time to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Well, yeah I guess in a way the day is arbitrary but you couldn't take it down to 10 hours. You could only take each day up to 48 or 72. If there were 10 hour days, some would be all dark, some all light, and some in between. 1 rotation was used because it give us one light and one dark period per "day". That works best for sleep patterns.

I don't think he was actually serious with with metric time thing though.
    i think this charles guy might be retarded... or a member of "The World is Flat Society"... one of the two.

Nah, he knows his shit when it comes to training. Thats why I think he was kidding about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post

I don't think he was actually serious with with metric time thing though
    He was probably kidding, but I don't think you properly understand the metric time idea.

The idea is that we REDEFINE what an "hour" is. For our current calendar, one hour is "1/24 the time it takes for the Earth to rotate around its axis". You seem to think that in changing to metric time we would use this same definition of an hour, but call a block of 10 of these hours a "day". This is not the idea.

An hour would be redefined as "1/10 the time it takes for the Earth to rotate around its axis"... i.e., a 10-hour day in the metric system would be the same length as a 24-hour day in our current system, but time would be defined and measured differently.

Does this make sense?

1 day is still one rotation of the earth. We would just divide up the smaller details in a more organized way.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    He was probably kidding, but I don't think you properly understand the metric time idea.

The idea is that we REDEFINE what an "hour" is. For our current calendar, one hour is "1/24 the time it takes for the Earth to rotate around its axis". You seem to think that in changing to metric time we would use this same definition of an hour, but call a block of 10 of these hours a "day". This is not the idea.

An hour would be redefined as "1/10 the time it takes for the Earth to rotate around its axis"... i.e., a 10-hour day in the metric system would be the same length as a 24-hour day in our current system, but time would be defined and measured differently.

Does this make sense?

A day would still be defined as one complete rotation of the Earth on its axis, but an hour would be redefined as one-tenth of that time.
    But then how could you get from a day to a year. A year would still need to be 365 days for the seasons to remain the same, not 100?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast