starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to work for a 1-rep max Bench Press?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Yes. Get used to some lower rep sets, doubles or triples, as you near your goal.

Other considerations:
    --if you're not already using a spotter, you will probably want to get used to using one, and find someone you can trust, for a single rep max;
    --because there is some lag in the body's adaptation response to training, keep lifting but don't do any real heavy or high volume workouts during the week before your max.
    Thank you. I always do use a dependable spotter so that wont be an issue.

Yes, I think I am going to do some higher weight-lower rep sets as I get close. Just to keep the jump from being too big. I wasn't aware that I shouldn't do much during the week before I max though so that is great info. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    . At 6'3", you need to get to 242# in bodyweight as fast as you can. I know you think that's a lot, probably, but I'm that height and I look gaunt at 220 and it's not until I'm 240 that I look reasonable. Right now I'm in the 250s and should be shooting for more.
    how about 5'10", whats a good weight? Went from 180 to 196

Quote Originally Posted by rockyshaun View Post
    You need to be at least 220, probably more. I think. I'm 6'3", man, not 5'10". I haven't been 5'10" for ages, so I don't quite know what they're supposed to look like. 220 sounds like a reasonable minimum, though, for a strong person.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Do you think its beneficial to do a few "heavier workouts" in between the 275x5x3 and the 315x1 to get my body used to the higher weights? Because even if a chart shows that 275x5x3 should make it easy enough to get 315x1, I'm worried my body wouldn't be ready for 315 since I will never have lifted more than 275 in any set before.
    You can, certainly. There are plenty, though, who rarely if ever go above 90-95% of their max except in meets and of course set big 1RM PR's when they finally go for it. Jim Wendler mentions several examples (Ed Coan is one famous one) who have done this regularly. Everyone is different, though.

I personally am doing 5-3-1 so of course I am doing a wave progression every 4 weeks going from higher volume in the beginning to lower volume to higher intenstiy at the end of each wave, followed by a de-load week. That is probably not necessary for you yet as you are still in the novice stage.

If it's your main goal to hit 315 as quickly as possible then doing what I said should get you there, but then again I would also advocate what others said ignore the silly contests and simply keep progressing on the program you are on until you can't anymore, then switch to Texas method or something else more designed for intermediate to advanced lifters.

Yep, as mentioned, straight linear progression for as long as it's viable. Then you'll need to plan your training over longer blocks, whether it be the texas method, 12 week linear periodisation blocks, or other. There are many, many ways to skin a cat, and for everything one guy tells you, there will be 5 guys saying something else, find something that works, and that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyshaun View Post
    I'm 5'11" 240 and I feel really good here. Plan on making a push to 250 later this year. I suppose it depends on how lean you are too. If you are naturally really lean, 225 or 230 might not be bad. Either way, gain weight.

starting strength coach development program
    What's a good weight... for what purpose?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12