starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength to Losing Weight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You squatted the same weight for the same reps 4 times in a row. THat is an ineffective strength training routine. You are also not doing SS.

If you want to lose weight, you HAVE to clean up your diet. What do you eat and how much? Not carbs, protein or fat, I mean what did you specifically eat for each meal.

Needs more cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    You squatted the same weight for the same reps 4 times in a row. THat is an ineffective strength training routine. You are also not doing SS.

If you want to lose weight, you HAVE to clean up your diet. What do you eat and how much? Not carbs, protein or fat, I mean what did you specifically eat for each meal.
    Well I've been reading the book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." According to the author, the way to lose fat is to create a small caloric deficit through diet and large caloric deficit through aerobic exercise. He recommends 6+ days a week of cardio. He even goes as far as to recommend 2 a day cardio sessions.

Diet wise I eat whatever is available to me. I try for this: fibrous vegetable (e.g. broccoli), water bound starch (e.g. brown rice), and protein (e.g. chicken). The exception is breakfast which is always fruit and oatmeal.

I don't actually eat that way because people where I live cook whatever they want. They seem to have an obsession with cheese at every meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Needs more cardio.
    I know you are joking but I'm considering doing 2 a days with cardio. that would give me 12, 45 minute cardio sessions a week. That would be a total of 540 minutes of cario a week. That would also be equal to roughly 6480 calories strictly from aerobic exercise.

Now add on top of that caloric restriction and weight lifiting and you have pounds coming off.

"
    Diet wise I eat whatever is available to me. I try for this: fibrous vegetable (e.g. broccoli), water bound starch (e.g. brown rice), and protein (e.g. chicken). The exception is breakfast which is always fruit and oatmeal.

I don't actually eat that way because people where I live cook whatever they want. They seem to have an obsession with cheese at every meal."

So how do you eat? You say you eat x then say you don't actually eat that way.

Lets try this again, what did you eat today. Just today. Be specific. Example, today I had

Shake, 4 large strawberries, handful of blueberries, 2 scoops of protein powder, 1 quart raw milk

lunch .6 lbs of lamb, an apple, a pear a handful of grapes

lunch 2 .6 lbs of lamb, half a zuchinni cooked in bacon grease

Also, the rational, behind my non-increasing squatting, is that squatting is too hard to recover from. I'm doing a shit ton of running, so there just isn't much recovery for squatting. I am continuing to progress with my upper body lifts. I don't expect any progress, but If I'm going to have any caloric excess happen, that caloric excess will go straight to my guns.

After I get to my desired body fat levels, I'll probably won't bring my squat up unless I have a reason to be stronger. I'm not an athlete, I'm not a body builder, I just like being fairly strong and healthy. At what point are you strong enough?

For me that is at: 2.0x Deadlift, > 1.5x Squat, > 1.0x Overhead/Bench Press, and 0.5x Weighted Pull-Ups.

At 300 pounds, my squat will be over 1.5 once I get my body weight from 232 to 195.

"

I don't actually eat that way because people where I live cook whatever they want. They seem to have an obsession with cheese at every meal."

So how do you eat? You say you eat x then say you don't actually eat that way.

Lets try this again, what did you eat today. Just today. Be specific. Example, today I had

Shake, 4 large strawberries, handful of blueberries, 2 scoops of protein powder, 1 quart raw milk

lunch .6 lbs of lamb, an apple, a pear a handful of grapes

lunch 2 .6 lbs of lamb, half a zuchinni cooked in bacon grease
    Breakfast I had 3/4 a cup of oat meal in 2 cups of whole milk. A table spoon of sugar 120 calories worth of raisons and a medium banana.

Lunch: Taco Bell: Fresco bean burrito (340 calories), Caramel Apple Empanada (330 calories), 5 layer bean burrito (550 calories).

Dinner: Soon to eat: Catfish, bread, and salad.

It's spring break so nobody is cooking right now. By the end of the day I should have about 2800 calories. I'm also hoping to go on a run later this evening.

You are asking weight and fat loss question while eating taco bell? A table spoon of sugar while trying to cut fat? ANd you are going to go all day with out meat, until dinner?

You are asking weight and fat loss question while eating taco bell? A table spoon of sugar while trying to cut fat? ANd you are going to go all day with out meat, until dinner?
    Taco bell isn't that bad if you eat the right thing. It may not be a table spoon of sugar, that's just a rough estimate. The big picture is that I'm eating oatmeal. If a little sugar makes the medicine go down, so be it. The taco bell had some meat. Beans are pretty good substitute for meat any way. I generally don't like to eat a lot of meat.

My lifts haven't suffered form not eating large amounts of meat so I think it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Namo4184 View Post
    Breakfast I had 3/4 a cup of oat meal in 2 cups of whole milk. A table spoon of sugar 120 calories worth of raisons and a medium banana.

Lunch: Taco Bell: Fresco bean burrito (340 calories), Caramel Apple Empanada (330 calories), 5 layer bean burrito (550 calories).

Dinner: Soon to eat: Catfish, bread, and salad.

It's spring break so nobody is cooking right now. By the end of the day I should have about 2800 calories. I'm also hoping to go on a run later this evening.
    Sounds like you're in college, and are eating in a dining hall. You are missing out on a supreme bulking oppurtunity here with probably a better equiped gym in terms of powerlifting and olympic lifting than most of us have access to and an unlimited meal plan?! If I were you I'd get my strength up to the level I want, disregard my bf% (fat guys get laid too), and cut later if that is still my desire.

starting strength coach development program
    "Taco bell isn't that bad if you eat the right thing. It may not be a table spoon of sugar, that's just a rough estimate. The big picture is that I'm eating oatmeal. If a little sugar makes the medicine go down, so be it. The taco bell had some meat. Beans are pretty good substitute for meat any way. I generally don't like to eat a lot of meat."

Fast food is crap and loaded with shitty carbs. Beans are a horrible substitution for meat, since the protein in them is largely unavailable. I also wouldn't call oatmeal medicine.

If you want to cut fat, ditch the grains (oatmeal as well) and eat veggies, meat, fruits and nuts.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast