starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Starting Strength to Losing Weight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    we're talking fat loss not 'healthy' eating, correct?
    I'll try lol, have you noticed any improvement from keeping your protein higher?

namo, i was replying to the taco bell haters with that question. i'm new to this weight-loss thing, but from what i've been reading, basically a calorie is a calorie, & to lose weight, lower the calories...it doesn't matter if they come from taco bell or whole foods grocery store. you seem to think this is true too if i am reading your posts correctly. if one is looking for health, then that's possibly a different story, but your thread specified losing weight, not health, so i'm puzzled why people are negatively commenting on you having taco bell for convenince from time to time. however, like i said, this is still new to me, so i could very well be wrong in my understanding.

since starting IF (7 weeks now), i've had 2 chocolate chip pancakes every weekend, lots of butter & aunt jemima's super-extra hfcs syrup on the pancake. ice cream with brownies & at first chocolate chip cookies after every meal or chocolate pieces. this week i have cut out all this to leave for just the weekend, but just because i don't think this is very healthy when i'm only eating 2x/day & to make room for more protein. i am now at 213, down from 229, eating this way. so i'm getting more and more convinced about the lower calories / losing weight thing.

i have tried to increase protein as well as from what i can gather, this helps you lose less muscle during a calorie deficit.

here is a good article: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...a-calorie.html

I was actually replying to quote below, but I think I just hit the wrong button. My apologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    this is what i thought too, except maybe try to keep protein intake somewhat high.
    Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Namo4184 View Post
    I get a lot of flack for having wild ideas, personally I think it's because I think for my self and put no man's head above my own. There are those who would disagree with this notion and just say "I'm crazy' (those people are unimportant!).
    Perhaps I'm misinterpreting you, but to assume there aren't people who know more than you about a topic, and thus not change your way of thinking when you identify such people is pretty silly.

This may not be one of those cases, and if it works for you, have fun, but I don't think Venturo advocates that food choice is irrelevent (in fact I think he specifically states in that book that it is very important).

I do know that I've tried the excess "cardio" method, and I've tried the lifting/very clean diet method, and the latter worked much better from a pure fat loss perspective. I lost about 40-45 pounds without any "cardio" at all, though I've since joined Crossfit (I realize many people here have issues with them) and thus am now doing movements that are a bit more varied/strength focused.

For me, a strict Paleo diet saw the weight absolutely fall off at first, with little change in programming. It has since slowed down as these things are prone to do and as I become less of a fat ass, but I would strongly consider it or a derivative. I am no expert on these things, I just offer an anecdote to counter yours

Quote Originally Posted by Mcpie View Post
    Perhaps I'm misinterpreting you, but to assume there aren't people who know more than you about a topic, and thus not change your way of thinking when you identify such people is pretty silly.
    I said what I meant, I meant what I said. Don't interpret it--read it. For further clarification, I will expound on my meaning for you. Yes there are people who might have more tibits of information in their head. No that does not mean I automatically give such a person authority to think for me. Does that make sense? I critically evaluate everything, no matter what degree or "expert" status someone has.

To give you an example close to home, for many years, Dr.'s and PHd's have said, "Don't eat fat! You'll get heart disease and die. You'll become obese and die." Years later we have experts recanting those statements. Now I respect that people are willing to come out and speak strongly, and I respect when people can admit their wrongs. Don't expect me to step on the roller coaster with the mainstream community though.

I do know that I've tried the excess "cardio" method, and I've tried the lifting/very clean diet method, and the latter worked much better from a pure fat loss perspective. I lost about 40-45 pounds without any "cardio" at all, though I've since joined Crossfit (I realize many people here have issues with them) and thus am now doing movements that are a bit more varied/strength focused.
    Have you tried doing the lifting weights + cardio + diet method. Because that is what I'm advocating.

For me, a strict Paleo diet saw the weight absolutely fall off at first, with little change in programming. It has since slowed down as these things are prone to do and as I become less of a fat ass, but I would strongly consider it or a derivative. I am no expert on these things, I just offer an anecdote to counter yours
    I never said paleo doesn't work. I'm not saying zone doesn't work. I'm saying that these diets work because they cause your to eat less calories than you are burning. I'm saying a low fat diet of the same calories can give you the same fat loss.

The hormone stuff is the psychological aspect of dieting. For instance, your fat cells produce leptin. The smaller these cells get, the less they produce. Your body responds by increasing your hunger hormone (ghrelin). This makes you eat more and nullify the effects of your diet. Salt makes your thirsty, people mistake thirst for hunger and over eat. Insuline crashes make you hungry, this makes you eat more. I acknowledge these sorts of things, while simultaneously acknowledging that a calorie is a calorie. But the mentioned factors make adherence to different diets harder of easier.

P.S. please read the intermittent fasting thread for what I'm actually doing.
    Last edited by Namo4184; 04-06-2010 at 09:27 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    good post Namo4184, especially this part, "I critically evaluate everything, no matter what degree or "expert" status someone has."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456